Backtesting/Optimization - page 13

patronus:
I see how do let an EA trade for you but I don't understand how to get historical data and run back tests. Also how do you handle a system that uses multiple period charts for decisions to get in and out? How do you handle that? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a newb at this but I have some programming experience.

Patronus

to import the data into mt4 so you can bactest with the strategy tester, follow theese intructions

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/general

to use mt4 to backtest, there is a window called the strategy tester, and you can plug in which ea you want to backtest, and set which currency pair and timeframe you want to backtest it over, and how long.

however, there are many downsides to the strategy tester, they are still all over this forem, here's a fe things i've mentioned earlier about only a few of these problems.

Eaglehawk:
trohoang:
Hi Jozo,

I respectfulling disagree with your view on backtesting. Those who don't learn from history will bound to repeat the same mistakes again.

First of all I am not a programmer but I am a novice trader. I see several price patterns that tend to repeat itself frequently. I want to write a program that would take these trades each time. The purpose of my EA and back testing is to tell me whether my observation in correct i.e. percentage of win, profit to risk and frequency.
YES, BACKTESTING IS IMPORTANT, the problem is, the strategy tester that METATRADER4 created has a multiple number of limitations, they were noted all over the place over the past month. just look for them, mostly in the metatrader4 and expert advisers metrader 4 forums, just know that you are not alone, you're doing nothing wrong, it's just a crappy automated tester. which i why i manually backtest, even though it takes time and patience, it is well worth the effort to get accurate results, (but that's just my oppion ).

now to finish your last question, the tester will run which pairs you trade in by which one you select in the tester window, and will run as you will set it, but why you would want to base descision on one currency pair from the results of another is beyond me, as if there is ANY relation, there is very little.

How to test an EA?

How do we test an EA...

How do we attach it to the charts and how do we check the results?

Plz help

Kevin

kevmcfoster:
How do we test an EA...

How do we attach it to the charts and how do we check the results?

Plz help

Kevin

If you are using the MetaTrader (refer to my signature) platform there is a Strategy tester function (CTRL+R). There you simply choose the EA you want to test. Choose data type (always use Tick data). Choose the currency pair. Then check other setting you might need (I could explain/ describe them, but Im not sure you need all that + there is always a manual that goes with the platform). And basically that's it. You press start and wait. Also, check the www.mql4.com site. As far as I remember there was an article on testing EAs there.

You do not need to attach EA to anything when testing. For the results check the bookmars you ll see in Strategy tester.

But again, all the above applies only if you use MetaTrader as your platform (which is THE best platform available now).

Hope that helps. Cheers,

Diam0nd.

Diam0nd:
If you are using the MetaTrader (refer to my signature) platform there is a Strategy tester function (CTRL+R). There you simply choose the EA you want to test. Choose data type (always use Tick data). Choose the currency pair. Then check other setting you might need (I could explain/ describe them, but Im not sure you need all that + there is always a manual that goes with the platform). And basically that's it. You press start and wait. Also, check the www.mql4.com site. As far as I remember there was an article on testing EAs there.

You do not need to attach EA to anything when testing. For the results check the bookmars you ll see in Strategy tester.

But again, all the above applies only if you use MetaTrader as your platform (which is THE best platform available now).

Hope that helps. Cheers,

Diam0nd.

Hi Diamond,

Thnx for the info. This is exactly wht i was looking for. Btw I'm using mt4. Can u plz tell me how to use it in live trading then or/and forward test it in a demo.

thnx

Kevin

kevmcfoster:
Hi Diamond,

Thnx for the info. This is exactly wht i was looking for. Btw I'm using mt4. Can u plz tell me how to use it in live trading then or/and forward test it in a demo.

thnx

Kevin

Check this Codersguru article. We all used it from the beginning to setup backtesting.

kevmcfoster:
Hi Diamond,

thnx

Kevin

Now, first of all, I'd suggest to make sure you have the latest MetaTrader installed (= that you are using the latest MT), which is at the moment is Build 198, dated 19 October (date MAKES a difference!). Secondly, to use an EA in live trading/demo (works the same way, since demo is basically live trading, but not with real money). You open a chart, take an EA and DRAG it onto the chart. Then you'll see a window with EA's properties/options. Change them if you like, if not press OK. That's it basically. Now, to make sure the EA is fine/ works, use this: if everything is OK, you ll see a smiley face at the top right corner of a chart. If its not a smiley but a cross, check the button on the upper panel (its has a 'stop' icon when its disabled and 'play' when its enabled), you need to have that icon as PLAY (= EAs enabled).

Well, that's basically it. Again and again, always check the help that goes with the program. Helps a lot.

Hope that helps,

Diam0nd.

newdigital:
Check this Codersguru article. We all used it from the beginning to setup backtesting.

That's not really an article on how to backtest, but on how to backtest with 90+ quality Still, everyone should definately follow it. You too, kevmcfoster

99% Modeling Quality

Maybe you want to take a look at this ...

http://www.cubesteak.net/

I'm trying to setup this system now...

Newbie here.

Just until recently I got intressted in stock market and started reading heeps of book about technical analysis. By chance I stumbled to this website I started reading about ATS. Which is very intressting, been reading non stop for the last few days and did alot back testing and some forward testing. Since I equally new to both stocks and forex I decided to learn more about forex instead. I have some newbie questions thou that I hope members here can help me with.

1. How I do make a realistic back test? Difference between every tick and control point? Anyhow I never got modelling quality higher than 53%. And people here recommend over 80-90%.

2. Why do I lose alot using every tick but earn alot using control point? (Back testing with EuroX2)

3. Do you have recommendations of quality EA with high probility of profit? (EA that is worth speding time to optimazing and back and forward testing)

Sincerly Kai

I'm pretty much a newbie on forex so I can't answer your questions.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/175245

The phoenix EA is doing pretty good.

Thanks, your link answered alot of my questions.

Reason: