Backtesting/Optimization - page 12

Backtesting & Closed bars

Hi Everyone,

Could someone explain how some systems when backtesting have fabulous results when "TickMode" is used on the backtesting and then if its set to close of bar is completly different ? I would have thought TickMode would be more accurate as it uses 1 min data ? I have my MT4 setup for 90% modelling quality. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

Thank you very much.

first of all "ticks" are not measured by a number of minutes, every movement the market makes is a tick. just to clarify

the strategy tester is a freak of nature as i like to call it. i has little accuracy in my experience, and sometimes gives different results for absolutely no apparrent reason sometimes.the best way i have found to backtest, is to do it manually, as it is much more accurate. another thing to make sure of is when you forward test, MAKE SURE THAT YOUR EA IS OPENING AND CLOSING WHEN YOU WANT IT TO. sometimes metrader needs to have some things clarified in a different way then is already set, even though the code already makes perfect sence.

Why is it when I download data from alpari to my FXDD and Neuimex demo platforms and test my strategy on them that I find that with the same parameters of the expert the strategy tester shows the strategy to be much more proiftable on FXDD than Neuimex. Why is there so much difference if the same data is being used to backtest?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again.

FXBabe

Its because of the brokers

Its just because of the broker feed. I usually end up with the same results as you do. For some reason FXDD is usually (not always) more profitable than Neuimex and InterbankFX when i test an EA.

Just my .02,

B

YupYup:
Its just because of the broker feed. I usually end up with the same results as you do. For some reason FXDD is usually (not always) more profitable than Neuimex and InterbankFX when i test an EA.

Just my .02,

B

will it be the same in live trading?

FXBabe:
will it be the same in live trading?

Hopefully. There are alot people using FXDD, and i will be one of those people, primarly because located here in the U.S. so i don't have to worry about sending money internationally. So i guess to answer your question, i'll have to say that recently from what i've heard about demo's and live's, that you'll get different results going live then using a demo, hopefully it'll be close to live trading. Remember, its a demo account, brokers don't really 'care' about fake money... that's why they are 'treated different' than real accounts. But using FXDD, i think, is way to go...

Hopefully you won't be to confused from this...

B

Thank you.

One other thing, when I give my expert to someone to use, i dont want them to give it to someone else to use without my permission. How do I stop them doing that? Any Ideas? Each computer has a unique IP address, when I give my expert to him can i code something in the expert so that it would only work in the computer with that particular IP address??

Thank you.

FXBabe

There's no static IP!

FXBabe:
Thank you.

One other thing, when I give my expert to someone to use, i dont want them to give it to someone else to use without my permission. How do I stop them doing that? Any Ideas? Each computer has a unique IP address, when I give my expert to him can i code something in the expert so that it would only work in the computer with that particular IP address??

Thank you.

FXBabe
Every time you log to the Internet your service provider assigns a new IP dynamically to you. So, there's no static IP for every user!

Maybe the only solution is writing a code in c++ to get the some of unique hardware data of the user then generate a number to you which your client uses it as a password (the must of the softwares use this technique)

Hope it's clearer!

How do I perform back testing using MQ4

I see how do let an EA trade for you but I don't understand how to get historical data and run back tests. Also how do you handle a system that uses multiple period charts for decisions to get in and out? How do you handle that? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a newb at this but I have some programming experience.

Patronus

Reason: