Backtesting/Optimization - page 11

iscuba11:
It is apparent that for serious traders, the backtester is a complete failure on the part of Metatrader. Without backtesting over specific market conditions, one never quite knows how an EA will react in the future - That is why we need a backtester. 90% (If you can ever achieve it using this strategy tester) is worthless. It is a crying shame that this system was developed in Russia. Evidently, they do not care enough about their reputation to fix the system - That says volumes about their integrity. It makes me wonder what kind of people are behind the Metatrade organization??

A system that can provide 98 - 100% accuracy as compared to actual trading during the same period of time would eliminate thousands of hours of time consuming forward testing. I just wish we could apply pressure and demand that they fix the program or we would quit trading using the Metatrade platform - That seems to be the only way I can think of to get them off their behind side and produce a quality backtester product.

Dave <<

iscuba11,

I have 90% for 4 majors back to 2001.

I don't know it is accuracy or not but I use it.

I think it is enough pressure because no one happy from this strategy tester.

Anyway they delivered MetaTrader to the brokers first and we are downloading from the brokers with or without historical data (usually without it).

Can't run stragegy tested on imported data

thanks for the detailed steps but I am having a problem that I can't figure out.

I run the period_converter exactly as you say below, but the strategy tester does not see the data other than in M1.

Can you give me a step by step after you have used your process below but now using a strategy tester.

Also, If I try to load say an M5 chart offline all I get is "Waiting of Update". It doesn't see the data yet M5 chart show over 100k records.

?????

Dave R.

holyguy7:
Step by Step, How to get better Backtesting Results

1. Go download the MT4 Data for the currency pair you want to backtest found HERE. Make sure you download the M1 data. It should give you data for every minute all the way back into 2004 (about 1.5 years of backdata).

2. After you unzip the data on your Hard Drive, you need to import the data into Metatrader 4.

3. Open Metatrader 4 (Launch the program)

4. You need to go to your History Center in Metatrader 4. Hit F2 on your keyboard. Or Click on the top of Metatrader: Tools and choose History Center

5. Open Forex, Open Currency Pair to import and Open M1

6. Click Import and Browse to the location where you unzipped the Data for the currency pair.

7. Make sure File Type is on Metaquotes files. Click Open and OK. Then Close.

8. Now, in the Navigator window on the left side of your Metatrader 4 program, open up Scripts. It should be right below Custom Indicators.

9. Open the chart offline by going to File- Openoffline - SELECT and open the Pair on M1 Timeframe.

10. You should have the M1 Chart (offline) open of the currency pair. You need to Double click on Period Converter script.

10. Click Input tab and you should see the Value as 3. You need to change the value to 5 (M5), 15 (M15), 30 (M30), 60 (H1), 240 (H4), 1440 (D1).

11. Now, click Tools- Options- Charts tab and change the Max Bars in History and Max Bars in Chart to 999999999999 and click OK.

Basically, you are converting the M1 data that you imported into the different timeframes that you want to test. You can do one at a time to do all of them.

I usually start and choose 5 then click OK. Then I double click again on the Period Converter and change the value to 15 then click OK, then I click again and change the value to 30 then click OK, until I have completed the timeframes.

NOTE: It will give you a warning, "Do you really want to stop 'period_converter' and execute 'period_converter' on the chart M1?

Just click YES and then double click on the period_converter again to continue converting the M1 data to all timeframes.

I have done this with all currency pairs that I can download on all timeframes. It is good to have this as it gives you an idea if something is going to work or not.

I hope this helps.

Some Links to Free Forex Tick Data

http://www.iexpertadvisor.com/links.asp

Maybe this worth a look at

Free Forex Tick Data

Maybe this linkworth a look at

kokas:
http://www.iexpertadvisor.com/links.asp Maybe this worth a look at

Hi kokas

I like tick charts but pages cannot be opened.

Is correct link?

Yes it is correct,

One of the links are here

Forex Tick Data

Where do i put this file in the MT4 platform?

90+ %modelling quality

Hi I just wrote an expert. I'd like the modelling quality to be over 90% in backtest. How do I get this? As Im a newbie can someone post me step by step guide please. thanks

FXBabe:
Hi I just wrote an expert. I'd like the modelling quality to be over 90% in backtest. How do I get this? As Im a newbie can someone post me step by step guide please. thanks

Maybe this will help

Files:
Reason: