GridTechinque why not? - page 5

Thanks for the helpful feedback Eric. cheers

goldensight:
Thanks for the helpful feedback Eric. cheers

No problem, good luck and if you discover any useful techniques or insight as you work with grids, I for one would love to hear it!

Again, I am simply using the slope of the 200 period HMA on H1 charts to determine whether my grids are long or short. I don't think the exact entry point is all that important, as long as you are generally in the direction of the medium term trend. Right now I am switching directions manually, but it would be nice if eventually the EA would have the option of switching directions automatically.

There will be losses when you switch directions or if the market drops sharply against you, but grids do well in ranging markets, and very well when it trends in your direction, so hopefully the wins outweigh the losses.

This is also why I think it is helpful to close your grids and reset every once in a while (I think resetting at set steps of equity increases might have potential), because when you have to switch directions you will be eating some losses if you close out all of your positions and set your grids up in the new direction. Maybe closing open positions isn't the best way to go when you switch directions, there are different opinions on this. Like I said, maybe it should be a user option. I will keep testing because I really think that grid trading can be successfully automated.

Files:
gbpjpy.gif  42 kb
eurusd_1.gif  40 kb

Eric:
Cardio,

Yes I think we should try to put something together.

Here is a basic grid EA that I have been doing some experimenting with. I have been thinking about adding three additional features to this EA.

1)You can see that you have to set the direction that the grid sets up pending orders in the inputs. What I would like to do is have the option of using a simple indicator to determine whether it sets up long grids or short grids. The exact point at which you start a long or short grid is not terribly important, but you want to generally be in the direction of the trend. What I have been using is the HMA indicator that igorad programmed. So if the slope of HMA is up, all pending shorts are deleted and the EA sets up a long grid, if slope is down, all pending longs are deleted and it sets up a short grid. (see picture)

So for example, what I am thinking is in addition to being able to input the grid direction by using the Grid Direction input, have the option of using HMA (true or false) to determine the direction automatically.

2) Then, also have the option of having a switch in HMA slope cancel all opposite pending orders (true or false) and also have the option of having the change in slope cancel all open positions (true or false) in addition to being able to do it manually by using the KillOrders and KillPositions input.

3) The third thing is what I have been thinking the most about. Having a point where you close everything and basically reset the grid. I think this should be done from time to time because you will accumulate so many orders. It will be nice to start fresh from time to time. My thought is this: have the EA monitor the Equity of the account. If you had an option to set a level of equity at which the EA would close everything and reset itself. So if you were trading a $1000 mini account with dime pips, you could have the EA close everything when you accumulated a net profit of 1000 pips by having the EA close all when equity reaches $1100.

These are my thoughts on a grid EA. I have been experimenting with grids for a while (i started a thread several months ago on the MakeGrid EA that never went very far) I have been slowly learning a bit about programming in mql4, so eventually I will modify this EA to incorporate these features I'm talking about, but if someone else wanted to work on it too, that would be great!

hi, if you can implement all the above into an EA i think it will capture all markets with minimal loss , please post your modified version for testing.

thanks in advance.

iliaazshareef:
hi, if you can implement all the above into an EA i think it will capture all markets with minimal loss , please post your modified version for testing. thanks in advance.

I am doing it manually for now. I would have to learn mql4 from scratch to be able to modify it myself, and I have been so busy at work that I haven't been able to devote the time to learn (I have no programming background)

Eric:
I am doing it manually for now. I would have to learn mql4 from scratch to be able to modify it myself, and I have been so busy at work that I haven't been able to devote the time to learn (I have no programming background)

Hi, Can you please explain how you trade it manually? Do you set up the trades and go or do you have to watch it after short breaks?\

Thank you

iliaaz

iliaazshareef:
Hi, Can you please explain how you trade it manually? Do you set up the trades and go or do you have to watch it after short breaks?\

Thank you

iliaaz

I let the EA set up the pending orders by itself. You just have to manually switch it between long orders and short orders in the inputs (1=long -1=short) depending on whether you want the grid to go long or short.

I only check every few hours to see if the HMA slope has changed direction (which is my signal to switch the direction of the grids) and to see if my equity has increased to a certain level where I will close everything and then let the grids restart fresh. You do this by switching KillOrders and KillPositions from 0 to 1 (then you have to reset it back to 0)

I am still experimenting with whether I should close everything (including open orders for a loss) when I switch grid direction. It will probably take a while of testing to find the best way to handle this.

is there a grid EA where you can use your favourite iondicator to open orders . If not can someone please modify the makegrid EA.

thx

here you go

Files:

hi!

does the grid work?

suddenly no more replies in here...ya´ll millionaires by now?

i tried to add the make grid ea to my mt4 but it doesn´t even give me a pop up window to confirm.

can it be that brokers don´t accept an ea of this kind because it actually works?

i thought about the technique... when the ea is up and running with all the stuff ya´ll discussed...

can it replace the lit orders by itself? how about a multi -level stop loss? the further one trade is away (loosing money) from the actual prize, it could just let go of a certain percentage. like when loosing 20 pips away it sells 30% of value, at 30 pips another 30 % and at 40 pips away the rest or so. i haven´t thought that through but if it makes sense, there probably should be a multi level profit taking too on all trades. maybe i didn´t get the whole concept right but wouldn´t it be smart to put greater distances in the grid, the further it goes up and down from the initial hedge position? like startiung with 10 pips up and down, next line at 20, next at 35, next at 55, next at 80 aso . this way it doesn´t have to have too many lines on the grid and big market moves would be covered.

also i tried out a tool called "virtual trading console" and it has this neat feature where u can see how much you are in the red or plus (counting all trades together) with the ability to kill them all once. how about implementing this routine into the ea and let the user decide ..for example.. close every order when a certain amount of pips or cash is reached.

the grid would not need to stay on so long then and those dangling loosing trades wouldn´t grow like that!

i mean... lost nearly 20k of money i didn´t really had to invest into forex indicies and all that and i got frauded not only once by brokers. if i just get 10 pips every hour... and only need to come to the pc once every hour to reactivate the grid, that would be alright. just a steady growth. if this works, i suggest everyone who uses the technique should just stick with lower amounts.. because the brokers might want to forbid working strategies when bigger wins being withdrawn over and over. oh and what about the so called "stealth mode" where the broker doesn´t see tp & sl or gets different numbers on that? that would be a good implementation also.

if anyone has a working ea like this the one´s been discussed in this thread pls send it to me?

The grid can not be used in the USA any more - one of the reasons why it is abandoned

The other is that it is a hidden martingale

Reason: