Wishlist for MT5

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying out the new MT5, and as I read through some of the posts, I see there are still a lot of items to go, but great progress is being made!

I really like the new MetaEditor updates, it makes my code look much nicer! 

At the risk of being redundant, here is some of my wishlist for MT5:

1) Allow TIMEZONE setting for LOCAL Time... PLEASE, if you have any compassion for traders... :-)

2) Allow scale FONT to be SIZED... I am getting old and that teeny font is not very legible to me... and I am guessing a few other traders...

3) Crosshair Mode STAYS ON if I want. Every time I left-click something and the cursor mode turns back to Pointer mode I just want to (and often do!!!) swear out loud. :-)

4) Tick Charts and Seconds Periods (5,10,12,15,20,30 - just like minutes, but SECONDS)

5) Do not auto-update profile unless I want to save a new one.

6) When I click the New Order button, use some defaults that I can set for things like TP and SL, i.e., TP = 50 pips, SL = 25 pips... forcing me to Copy the current values

and THEN adjust them is tedious, error prone, and time consuming, not to mention, the price changes often cause me to have to reset the values while trying to place an order. Argggghhhhh!!

7) Draggable Stop/TP levels ON THE CHART. Please.

8) GAPLESS charts... give me a setting to allow MT5 to fill in the missing bars with O=H=L=C AUTOMATICALLY. Without this many scripts/indicators/experts fail miserably.

9) Templates for Back Tester Mode. I want to have my chart open with a template after the backtesting is complete. Currently, if I apply a template, I lose the details.

10) Linked Charts... If I change the symbol in one chart, have others linked to it also change symbol.

11) GLOBAL CROSSHAIR

I know there are scripts/indicators to handle some of these items, but they are cumbersome and wasteful of CPU time when implemented that way (IMHO).

There are a few other items that I am sure I have forgotten, but if you could do the above, I am sure a LARGE number of user would be much happier!

In addition, thanks for adding new time periodicities, BOTH bid AND Ask lines (Yay!), etc. I know the first order of business is to get the new architecture to be

as similar as MT4 as practical... but these other items have been causing me (and I suppose others) a lot of stress/frustration/confusion/distraction/anger for

a LONG LONG LONG time... please help us get something we can all use a little better.

Spasiba, thanks, gracias, etc.!!!!

-Scott

Scottorama :

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying out the new MT5, and as I read through some of the posts, I see there are still a lot of items to go, but great progress is being made!

I really like the new MetaEditor updates, it makes my code look much nicer! 

At the risk of being redundant, here is some of my wishlist for MT5:

1) Allow TIMEZONE setting for LOCAL Time... PLEASE, if you have any compassion for traders... :-)

2) Allow scale FONT to be SIZED... I am getting old and that teeny font is not very legible to me... and I am guessing a few other traders...

3) Crosshair Mode STAYS ON if I want. Every time I left-click something and the cursor mode turns back to Pointer mode I just want to (and often do!!!) swear out loud. :-)

4) Tick Charts and Seconds Periods (5,10,12,15,20,30 - just like minutes, but SECONDS)

5) Do not auto-update profile unless I want to save a new one.

6) When I click the New Order button, use some defaults that I can set for things like TP and SL, i.e., TP = 50 pips, SL = 25 pips... forcing me to Copy the current values

and THEN adjust them is tedious, error prone, and time consuming, not to mention, the price changes often cause me to have to reset the values while trying to place an order. Argggghhhhh!!

7) Draggable Stop/TP levels ON THE CHART. Please.

8) GAPLESS charts... give me a setting to allow MT5 to fill in the missing bars with O=H=L=C AUTOMATICALLY. Without this many scripts/indicators/experts fail miserably.

9) Templates for Back Tester Mode. I want to have my chart open with a template after the backtesting is complete. Currently, if I apply a template, I lose the details.

10) Linked Charts... If I change the symbol in one chart, have others linked to it also change symbol.

11) GLOBAL CROSSHAIR

I know there are scripts/indicators to handle some of these items, but they are cumbersome and wasteful of CPU time when implemented that way (IMHO).

There are a few other items that I am sure I have forgotten, but if you could do the above, I am sure a LARGE number of user would be much happier!

In addition, thanks for adding new time periodicities, BOTH bid AND Ask lines (Yay!), etc. I know the first order of business is to get the new architecture to be

as similar as MT4 as practical... but these other items have been causing me (and I suppose others) a lot of stress/frustration/confusion/distraction/anger for

a LONG LONG LONG time... please help us get something we can all use a little better.

Spasiba, thanks, gracias, etc.!!!!

-Scott

Hi Scott

Your #7 is implemented, I think. After the order is placed with SL & TP, you can drag the lines to modify the orders.

One comment on your #10 Linked Charts: I also would like this feature, but it is more than you ask. For this to work well, objects on the charts need to be symbol-specific. For example, you do not want lines drawn for EURUSD to appear on charts for other symbols. Try putting a vertical line on a chart and changing the symbol - the line is still there.

Cheers

Jellybean

I agree with all Scott's beefs, although I haven't been using MT for long I recognise the issues! My main one though is other chart types, especially tick charts. They often work MUCH better than time based charts. And how hard can it be? Instead of the terminal waiting around for a time period collecting tick data, it counts off how many ticks it receives. Too easy.

;-) Ian

mogplus8:

I agree with all Scott's beefs, although I haven't been using MT for long I recognise the issues! My main one though is other chart types, especially tick charts. They often work MUCH better than time based charts. And how hard can it be? Instead of the terminal waiting around for a time period collecting tick data, it counts off how many ticks it receives. Too easy.

;-) Ian

Hi ALL, 

I'm trying to open a real account, but, simply, they don't call me back, is anything wrong?, or you need to be a broker?

Thanks a lot 

Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties - Documentation on MQL5

Here's one a bit out of left field maybe. I'd like an MQL5lite. There's so much coding that has to be done that could be generated by a preprocessor. It may cause a slight loss in flexibility, but I think the 80/20 rule would make it worth while. i.e. 80% of the functionality required by most traders is provided by 20% of MQL5. The rest most of us will never use. But my main beef is this. I'd like to be able to reference an indicator value in the code by saying something like:

double xxx = EMA(20)[5];

Where EMA is the function, 20 is the parameter for it (and of course other indicators will require more parameters), and [5] is the bar, counting backwards from the latest bar, I want the value for. That's it, that's all I want to have to do.

Would it be possible for a precompiler to parse that statement, and automatically insert the handle, the setting of the handle, the creation of the buffer to contain the results, copying the results to the buffer, and whatever else needs to be coded to achieve the desired result? Why do I have to do all that when it's always exactly the same? There may be cases where you'd like to do something differently, but I'm not aware of them, and honestly, I don't think I will ever need that extra functionality.

OrderSend is another one. I'd like to be able to code:

OrderSend(Buy).

That means buy the default quantity of the instrument this chart is for at market. You could add some overloads for quantity, stop and profit values, but that's about all most of us will ever need. I don't think I will ever need to submit an order for an instrument and/or timeframe that is not the same as the chart the EA is running on. In fact I don't think I've ever seen an example where the symbol was specified as anything other than _Symbol, or Symbol() or NULL, which all mean the symbol for the current chart. Ditto for timeframe, it's always zero or _Period. I'm sure there are examples where this is not the case, I've just never seen them. And I would guess they are for very exotic and esoteric EAs that do wonderfule things, that I'm probably never going to need to do.

I think there are a lot of advantages to this approach.

1. A lot less coding (work) required

2. Dramatic reduction of error, as the code will function as intended, rather than as the (sometimes amateur) programmer has written it.

3. The learning curve for programming will be dramatically reduced.

4. Traders who are not programmers, have never been programmers, and do not want to become programmers, will be more inclined to try writing indicators and EAs.

5. It would make it easier to expand the EA wizard so that it would be possible to create an EA with no programming at all. (But there is no need for all that graphical drag and drop stuff. That just gets in the way imho. Just a few simple questions, like what parameters do you want to input, what indicators do you want to use, what values do you want for the parameters (including input parameters), what conditions do you want to test for, what stop and profit levels are required, do you want to use a trailing stop, if so what displacement, and that's about it really.) You should then be able to access the code generated and butcher it to your heart's desire, but if you don't need to, don't do it.

6. The KISS principle is king. Any program that is smaller and simpler, is far more likely to a) work, b) work as expected most of the time, c) be more robust, and d) be easier to modify for bug fixes and improvements than a large and complex one. Simple fact of life I'm afraid...

Cheers,

Ian

BTW another wish I'd like. The wishlist should be a separate section in the MQL5 website, not must a post in a forum. ;-)

Open price Data file format

Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Indicator Constants / Price Constants
  • www.mql5.com
Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Indicator Constants / Price Constants - Documentation on MQL5

Scottorama:

Hello Everyone,

11) GLOBAL CROSSHAIR

If you have a mouse with a wheel, you can click the mouse wheel down, to bring up the cross-hair.

It's not "always on" cross-hair, but its a good shortcut that's hidden in the doco :)

Hi people,

I wish to have a debugger what works on historical data. I mean, when I backtest my EA I want to see in the debugger what is going on inside. This would allow me to debug while the market is closed and debug the market condition I like to debug (by choosing the right time interval).

Greetings to the team

Gerhard

Reason: