The world is changing, I don't how to import and convert the data now!

You can see that the latest version of TickStory v1.6 isn't free any more. 
The script, CSV2FXT, downloaded from EareView can't work in the latest version of MT4.
Now, how can we make the back test with good quality from now on?

I downloaded EurUsd M1 data from DukasCopy.
If using the script, CSV2FXT, to import and convert the data, the backtest quality is 'na' and there are weekend data in charts.
Then, how to import the DukasCopy M1 data into the latest version of MT4 without weekend, convert it to other Periods, and get backtest quality improved over 90%?  

Hi Jollydragon,

Just to hopefully clarify things for you - you can still freely use the previous version of Tickstory v1.5 to produce all the 99% quality back-tests you need.  You simply need to revert back to an earlier MT4 build.  I expect that this process will much more simpler than trying to convince someone new to write tens of thousands of lines of code for free  ;)

Hope this helps. 

tickstory:  You simply need to revert back to an earlier MT4 build. 
With versions earlier than 830 not supported by dealers/MQ

Is there a way to import the old version into a spreadsheet program or something and save it under a new format that is compatible with the updated MT4 build versions?

WHRoeder, it is recommended to keep a separate installation specifically for back-testing.  As far as I know, Metaquotes support wont cover any issues with your MQL/EAs/Back-testing regardless of the version.  Of course, for forward-testing or live trading you should be using the MT4 recommended version.

Regards. 

JD4 - Not as far as I am aware.  Assuming you're talking about tick data, the first problem is that spreadsheets aren't usually capable of handling voluminous information like this.  The second issue is that there needs to be some sort of conversion plugin that will create the MT4 data files - something which I don't believe exists.

Do also note that it is not the file format that has changed in the recent MT4 updates but merely the ability to launch MT4 for back-testing.  As mentioned, this means you can still use Tickstory v1.5 to continue exporting data.  If you wish to produce tick-quality back-tests you will need to 1) Revert back to a previous MT4 build and use Tickstory v1.5 or 2) Upgrade to Tickstory v1.6.

Hope this helps. 

I shouldn't drunk post I know, but,... @tickstory. to summarize...

Para 1: there is no way you are aware  of using a spreadsheet (or something [my emphasis]) to convert from old to new format. (what no script?)

Para 2: but the old format is the new format. So why have para 1 at all? Its just something in MT stops externally generated files working ,  but ,  you can revert (ie hack MT so it cant upgrade, use old compiler etc etc)  or buy early view to  our software.

"Hope this helps" ...

So has the format changed or not? 

tickstory:

JD4 - Not as far as I am aware.  Assuming you're talking about tick data, the first problem is that spreadsheets aren't usually capable of handling voluminous information like this.  The second issue is that there needs to be some sort of conversion plugin that will create the MT4 data files - something which I don't believe exists.

Do also note that it is not the file format that has changed in the recent MT4 updates but merely the ability to launch MT4 for back-testing.  As mentioned, this means you can still use Tickstory v1.5 to continue exporting data.  If you wish to produce tick-quality back-tests you will need to 1) Revert back to a previous MT4 build and use Tickstory v1.5 or 2) Upgrade to Tickstory v1.6.

Hope this helps. 

It helps with my part of the question.  And it makes sense, in a way.  If there is something that works, then for some reason, the powers that be may get it in mind that if it is useful to people, and helps them figure out something (the backtesting issue in this case), then people must not want to be able to do that particular thing, so take away the capability.

Hi Ydrol,

First paragraph was to answer the question "Is there some way to convert spreadsheet data into Metatrader data".  And my answer being: there is no utility/plugin for a spreadsheet that I know of that will convert data into any Metatrader format.  When I say "any", there have been many MT4 data changes over the years as the product has evolved - the most recent was Build 545 around a year ago (and of which Tickstory still supports). 

Back to the OP comments, there is no reason why you cannot use either version of Tickstory to export data for the all the recent versions of MT4 since the data format has not changed.   If you back to generate tick-quality back-tests then you have the 2 options described above.

Hope this clarifies. 

Hi,The question was:

Is there a way to import the old version into a spreadsheet program or something and save it under a new format that is compatible with the updated MT4 build versions?

My emphasis. But no worries

tickstory:

Hi Jollydragon,

Just to hopefully clarify things for you - you can still freely use the previous version of Tickstory v1.5 to produce all the 99% quality back-tests you need.  You simply need to revert back to an earlier MT4 build.  I expect that this process will much more simpler than trying to convince someone new to write tens of thousands of lines of code for free  ;)

Hope this helps. 

This is just a short-term solution.

For long-term, believe MT4 will have new method to overwrite the data. Besides, how long can we still get support on TickStory v1.5 in future?

I am new to Forex and havn't worked out a good strategy yet. Before I achieve it, I'm afraid I can only make use of all free sources I can get.  

Now it seems I am being blocked out of the Forex world and feel so helpless! 

Reason: