Help! MT4 charts not refreshing properly after new tickdata.

Hello,

When i open a 1 minute chart in metatrader 4 and put it in candlestick mode it runs fine for a minute or 2. But after a short period of time the graph begins to lag. This lag begins with the newest candlestick in the chart not being updated as frequently anymore and thus not moving as regurlarly as it should (with each new tick). The one click trading quote buttons in the left upper corner of the graph (buy and sell buttons) stop being updated as regularly as well. After that the lag becomes worse and worse. When i watch the Market watch clock that is situated in the Symbols window, i notice that it sometimes skips a second. It might jump from 14:34:23 to 14:34:25 without ever displaying the 24th second, or it might display the next second in a split second after the previous second had passed, which is erroneous as well. As time progresses the presentation of a new candlestick after the previous minute has passed begins to lag as well. When for example the 35th minute session has passed the new candlestick will not appear at 36m:00s as it should, but it will appear at 36:m:02s instead. This lag also gets worse and worse, almost as if there is a build up of the delay. The 2second delay will turn into an 8 second delay and the 8 second delay will turn into a 20 second delay and this goes on and on until i only geta new 1 minute candlestick every few minutes or so and when it does it only gets updated every 20 seconds or so. I have already investigated the cause of this myself but have been unable to find it. I have ruled out  a few possible causes however, namely:

1. It is not caused by the server of the broker I am using. I have downloaded 2 instances of MT4 at the brokers AVA trade and XM.com and ran both instances simultaneously. Both start just fine, but after 2 minutes or so both mt4 instancesstart to experience the lag as described above.

2. It is not my computer. I Run an Aspire 7661 G 2.2Ghz laptop with 6GB DDr3 memory so it should be able to run metatrader just fine. I have also installed an instance of metatrader on my old computer that runs windowsXP (my laptop runs windows7) and on that computer too the same lag appears after a short period of time and then becomes worse and worse.

3. I know this is not a unique problem that only i have because I have seen on the web that there have been others reporting similar problems in the past. See https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/45689

I do use a WIFI connection, but it has a strong signal so i dont know if that would be the problem. I have another traders program of a company called binck bank, and when i look at the server clock in that program there are no irregularities to be spotted in the seconds counting.

Please help! I am unable to trade properly with a delayed chart.

Do you have an EA running? If you have an EA that does a lot of calculations and uses large loops, then there will be no new ticks while the EA is working.

Hello GumRai,

No i have no EA running. I do have a few indicators running but i dont think those are the problem because the same thing also happens with another MT4 instance that wasent running indicators at all!

Mt4's charts is only active (changing) after it has got a new tick and sometimes there are no ticks for couple of seconds. This is very much broker and symbol dependent!

Go and look in the code base for indicators that shows the actual states - I think there are some.

GumRai: Do you have an EA running? If you have an EA that does a lot of calculations and uses large loops, then there will be no new ticks while the EA is working.
Maurice1985: No i have no EA running. I do have a few indicators running
Same thing.
Fix the indicators to not recalculate all bars per tick.
Or reduce Bars on Chart to something reasonable like 1000.

you guys were right, it was the XM server after all.. The lag problem does not exist with other brokers. Brokers with higher tick volume per time session.

Thanks for the replies

gooly:

Mt4's charts is only active (changing) after it has got a new tick and sometimes there are no ticks for couple of seconds. This is very much broker and symbol dependent!

Go and look in the code base for indicators that shows the actual states - I think there are some.

I do have one more question about what you said Gooly, Does what you say mean that when the current minute passes without any new ticks the next 1 minute candlestick will not be formed?? So when the current minute passes and the next new tick will appear 6 seconds after the last minute passed, the new candlestick will begin at 1m:06s instead of 1m:00s?

Kind regards

Maurice1985:

current minute passes without any new ticks the next 1 minute candlestick will not be formed??

So when the current minute passes and the next new tick will appear 6 seconds after the last minute passed, the new candlestick will begin at 1m:06s instead of 1m:00s?

1. Correct. Just like the weekend, there are no candles. "Free-of-Holes" Charts - MQL4 Articles
  2. The new candle will appear at 6s. The candle time is always a multiple of the period (1m:0s on M1, 1h:0m:0s on the H1)
Reason: