Does anyone know of a comprehensive and usable set of MQL4 notes than currently exist? I doubt it because - garbage in and thus garbage out. - page 2

timhine45:

RaptorUK,

You obviously have different views to me on MQL$ at this time. And you ask me numerous throwaway questions as if I were an idiot of sorts.

Well, I am going to answer your questions, even though they are proabably rhetorical and designed to make me feel stuupid next to you obvious genius.

Your assumptions are helping you make an ass out of yourself . . . you should know when it's time to stop digging the hole . . . sorry for mixing my metaphors.

You are the one stating that you have years and years of programing experience of 6 languages . . . so for you mql4 is indeed an easy language, you don't need to learn the fundamentals like what a variable is or how an array works . .. you know this already, you just need to learn the syntax, very C like and the mql4 specific functions . . .

timhine45:

Firstly - Of COURSE MQL4 IS A COMPLEX AND TECHNICAL SUBJECT!!! This is a fact that a blind person could see! I simply do not agree with you on this. Even as an intelligent person I can see this - it does not make me stupid.

For someone with no programming experience any language is going to take time to learn . . . but mql4 is not complex by comparison to any other programming language. Compared to 6800 assembler it is a breeze . . .

timhine45:

AS a moderator on this forum, your job is to ensure that standards are adhered to so that it runs and workd smoothly for the users thereof. This job does not include talking down to somebody else. Instructing them - yes. Beliitling them - no.

It is nice to be important - we all like this - but it is important to be nice. Didn't your mummy tell you this?

I don't have a Job here . . . I am not talking down to you, that is your invalid assumption making an ass out of you again. I volunteer my time here to help people like you . . . yes even when people like you don't appreciate it . . . I still try to help. I don't have a mummy, I have a Mother.

timhine45:

I come here for several reasons that basically all are beneficial to me as a user and perhaps also to others who interact with me.

I do not come here with the purpose of insulting others. But I do always have a right to experess my opinion, just as you or anybody else does.

If in expressing our opinion on something, some other(s) take offence, then that is OK; it is simply a normal part of life. We do not all see all things in exactly the same way.

If I insulted you in any way, please accept my apologies.

I always strive to speak the truth as I see it and above all, to be truthful with myself; sometimes that means that I disagree with others.

If I disagree with another person, let us say you for example, then I feel strongly that it is far better to voice this than to remain silent. But - this means that I disagree about something specific,

and not at all that I dismiss you as a person.

I felt that your question of 'is this a joke' was not appropriate at all. If you had said that you do not agree with me at all on this, I would have seen this is perfectly acceptable simply because this can and does happen.

You subscribed here 2 or 3 hours ago. And you dare to begin such a topic, as if your opinion is the most important thing in the world. Your arrogance seem without limit.

If you want others to take care of your opinion, you have to begin to respect them. If you can't see that your first post as an insult to every contributor on this forum, you are truly unrecoverable.

timhine45:

I come here for several reasons that basically all are beneficial to me as a user and perhaps also to others who interact with me.

I do not come here with the purpose of insulting others. But I do always have a right to experess my opinion, just as you or anybody else does.

If in expressing our opinion on something, some other(s) take offence, then that is OK; it is simply a normal part of life. We do not all see all things in exactly the same way.

If I insulted you in any way, please accept my apologies.

I always strive to speak the truth as I see it and above all, to be truthful with myself; sometimes that means that I disagree with others.

If I disagree with another person, let us say you for example, then I feel strongly that it is far better to voice this than to remain silent. But - this means that I disagree about something specific,

and not at all that I dismiss you as a person.

I felt that your question of 'is this a joke' was not appropriate at all. If you had said that you do not agree with me at all on this, I would have seen this is perfectly acceptable simply because this can and does happen.

MT4 is not from yesterday In the years some things in trading and rules for trading have been changed even after the book was written

but as guidance you can still use it for a lot basic stuff. you have experience in programming, then take a simple strategy and create a code for it

then you can see with using strategytester and first demo account what is happening on your account

test alsop with more trades open not from your code and be sure the code you create is only working for the pair(s) you want and recognize trades of its own

till now i haven't seen your work....

deVries:

was 9 days ago... and not his first post
Of course, this changes everything.

angevoyageur: Of course. But sometimes it's instructive to hunt a new troll.
When you respond, you give the troll power. When you ignore the troll, he starves for attention and eventually dies.

timhine45:

Since the PC graphics-oriented internet anguages which are supposedly higher-level (i.e closer to everday language and easier to undestand and use) have arrived, thaey are all exponentially far more mathematical, formulae and hirogliphics in essence and none of them have easier and comprehensive learning and usage texts. THIS IS ADVANCEMENT? It seems to be far more a case of 'bullshit baffles brains' and 'see how clever I am'.

In truth, Metaquotes have developed a language to an extent that is far more detailed and messy to learn and use than it needs to be. Instead of then developing it much forther they have left it at a more basic and stupidly more difficult and complex level than it needs to be. One could do everything that MQL4 offers with the far simpler and much easier to use COBOL CICS MACRO COMMAND LEVEL LANGUAGE with the addition of a few drawing instructions.

It seems to me that in the pursuit of advancement we have made most technical things exponenially messier and more difficult and complicated. Worse, the MQL4 techies can write loads about MQL4 details and intracacies but are utterly unable to put together a comprehensive and useful structured explanation of the language. Keep it simple stupid - the old KISS adage - seems to have been thrown away.

The trick in writing about a complex and technical subject is to write about it in such a way as to make it as simple as possible to understand. Here the MGl4 gurus and experts have failed miserably. Admittadly, they have done so with a horrible topic - which goes back to the piece of crud that Metaquotes developed partially and no more.

I think your problem is a personality issue not a programming one, do you often find yourself ranting and blaming others for your own failings ?

MQL4 is basically the C language with some custom functions written by MetaQuotes to facilitate its use with the MT4 trading and charting operations. C is a solid, structured programming language, it is reletively easy to learn. I consider myself to be of average intelligence. I had practically zero programming experience so I had to learn from scratch everything an experienced programmer would already know. I had only the mql4 book and help from this forum's members so it surely is not that difficult unless you have grown mentally lazy or are not used to applying yourself.

WHRoeder:
When you respond, you give the troll power. When you ignore the troll, he starves for attention and eventually dies.

Agree in general, but on a moderated forum a troll can't get power.
Reason: