testing MACD Expert Advisor: no results - page 2

zeno1:

Thank you both RaptorUK and deVries for you guidance.

I'm reading on the 'custom indicators' since I appear to be working in the wrong category.

I understand that difference is that EA will work on a continuous basis whereas Indicators work on a 1 time basis.  Is there a way to make an Indicator work on a continuous basis?

That is incorrect . . .  a Script is primarily a one shot tool,  EAs and Indicators call their start() function for each incoming tick. You cannot trade from an Indicator . . .  only from EAs and Scripts.

Is there a possibility to receive indicator messages? For example, when a certain level reaches zero or when 2 lines cross in say indicator MACD? 

I have inserted custom indicators before on a currency chart in MT4, but would like to receive messages (written and sound) according to for example above scenario.

Thank you for your help. 

zeno1:

Is there a possibility to receive indicator messages? For example, when a certain level reaches zero or when 2 lines cross in say indicator MACD? 

I have inserted custom indicators before on a currency chart in MT4, but would like to receive messages (written and sound) according to for example above scenario.

Use iCustom()   Detailed explanation of iCustom - MQL4 forum  or just use the equivalent function if there is one:  iMACD()

Hi,

I"m new to this forum and this is my first post, I"m also pretty ignorant of the platform, but I have read around and clicked some buttons, and optimized the default MACD EA

to work with some different time frames.  It sounds to me like you are just wanting to set up the default Sample MacD Expert Advisor, and make it trade and win.  The MacD

Ea will not put a macD on your chart, it just imagines there is one there and trades where you tell it too.  This is a article https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/1347  that kinda goes over

optimizing a EA, you have to set the start step and stop values  like if for example you want to test a range for the moving average from say 1-22 to see which works the

best for the current time frame you are testing, you would put the start at 1 the step at 1 and the stop at 22, and make sure the green check is in the box, beside of that,

and also that the black check is in the optimization box, then click start.  If your optimization is a good one, you will see a set of values in the optimization results box, there

should be a bunch of them, if not then your settings are no good, and you need to try more settings, and sooner or later it will work.  You have to make sure you have

good tick data and all of that.  You can look in the ea section of this site and find some different ea's, and you can search around on the internet and find a lot of them,

or you can go to the market or jobs links and tell a coder what you want and they will bid on it for you.   You can search optimize and find a lot of information on it.

If you want to take that macd code and add bells and whistles, and flashing arrows and lights and have iit make noises and show the macD you can do that too, or

pay to have it done.   To my understanding INdicators are for technical analysis and manual order placing, and Ea's are set and forget, and they will buy and sell and

wipe your account out if you are not careful, or make some money if you are, or something inbetween.  I've been trading since 1986 and I"m still poor.  That's why

I am here, so I can find some wize soul to make me a EA so I can retire.

PS. After you find a good optimization in the results tab, you just double click on it, and it automatically loads it, then you can run a backtest, and if you just save it  

and it will always be there for you to load when you drag the ea to the chart.  I hope this helped 

Thank you RaptorUK and tubal for your advice.

My current objective is not to trade automatically, so not that MT4 trades for me without my immediate intervention.

My objective is to look at various time intervals on charts (say 1M, 3M, 5M, 15M, etc). On those charts - where I have already indicator MACD showing, I want signals showing on the currency pair whenever MACD conditions apply (crossings, reaching zero). 

My question: how can I, 1) have that signal show up on the currency pair charts of their respective time intervals (calculated per interval) and 2) receive a written message for every time interval signal? 

By recalculating every few minutes (automated or manual), these signals on currency pair charts (upper part) will be updated. 

The trading execution would be my own action, not automated in MT4, when I see that all conditions are right. 

Finally, is it possible to create a time interval chart different from the standard MT4 ones (e.g.  3M, 7M, 12M, etc.)?

Thank you. 

Hi Zeno,

I had a indicator that was a demo of a ea, and the indicator drew circles on the chart when the buy/sell signal was generated, so it is possible to do it this way, and you can have the software email you or send a push message, but I read there is no sms.  Also, you can set up a ea to ask for manual confermation of a traded, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

I think you can make a old static chart appear in any time frame you wish, but I don't believe you can do it with a live chart, but I wish it did. 

You can find a lot of information searching around on the form, and if you are unable to code them yourself, you can have somebody code it for you, I think I saw where one dude was doing coding for $75 a hour.  I just hope they can do a lot in a hour or two lol.

Good luck. 

zeno1:

Thank you RaptorUK and tubal for your advice.

My current objective is not to trade automatically, so not that MT4 trades for me without my immediate intervention.

My objective is to look at various time intervals on charts (say 1M, 3M, 5M, 15M, etc). On those charts - where I have already indicator MACD showing, I want signals showing on the currency pair whenever MACD conditions apply (crossings, reaching zero). 

1.  My question: how can I, 1) have that signal show up on the currency pair charts of their respective time intervals (calculated per interval) and 2) receive a written message for every time interval signal? 

By recalculating every few minutes (automated or manual), these signals on currency pair charts (upper part) will be updated. 

The trading execution would be my own action, not automated in MT4, when I see that all conditions are right. 

2.  Finally, is it possible to create a time interval chart different from the standard MT4 ones (e.g.  3M, 7M, 12M, etc.)?

Thank you. 

1.  you can do whatever you are able to code. You don't have to show each signal on it's own chart,  for example you could show signals for M5, M15 and H1 all on the M5 chart,  it's fairly simple to show lots of information on a single chart,  for example this heat map:  https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/141923

Using iCustom you can get Indicator information for timeframes other than the one that your EA is running on.

2.  Yes you can create your own timeframe charts,  but these charts are offline charts . . .  they don't get ticks unless you force a tick upon them.  Use the search,  or better still Google,  and read up on offline charts,  it's not a beginners subject though so be prepared to make the effort. If you want to create a M7 chart just to have a look you can use M1 data and a script called period converter which should already be in your MT4 Terminal.

Hello RaptorUK and tubal,

Thanks again.

I am going through the 'MQL4 Language for Newbies' series - it seems that there is no way around this. I see that in part 5, the last one, I can find a solution to my questions, but this will probably require me to go through all previous parts for a good understanding for the solution creation? 

Cheers. 

zeno1:

Hello RaptorUK and tubal,

Thanks again.

I am going through the 'MQL4 Language for Newbies' series - it seems that there is no way around this. I see that in part 5, the last one, I can find a solution to my questions, but this will probably require me to go through all previous parts for a good understanding for the solution creation? 

Cheers. 

The quickest shortcut is to learn the language properly . . .  and don't try to take shortcuts.

Guys, 

I am running a simple EA with optimization and I get all path in the result. However only problem is in optimization graph only part of the paths show result, other paths shows no result somehow.

Could some one give me a hint what is wrong. 

Again, I did deselect skip useless path so i have all the results but some paths not shown in the optimization gragh.

Thx!!!

Reason: