Need help importing historical data into MetaTrader 4

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased 1 minute spot forex data for 20 currency pairs going back 15 years but I am having problems importing this data into MetaTrader 4. The data came in a text document format but I have no idea how to format the data in the same order per line as Mt4 has. I have opened it up in Excel, but I cant seem to find out the proper way to have this data displayed so MT4 picks up on it.

All the tutorials of importing/downloading data I have found online seems to walk people through downloading data from the Alpari download centre. If someone can walk me through the process I would be very grateful. I spent a lot of money purchasing the data and the only advice the company is giving me is 'consult help menu of MT4' and 'contact MetaTrader'. It is very frustrating. Obviously I have zero experience with importing historical data so any knowledgeable souls out there who wouldn't mind helping me, I would be very appreciative.

Below is how the text document and Excel displays the lines:

<TICKER>,<DTYYYYMMDD>,<TIME>,<OPEN>,<HIGH>,<LOW>,<CLOSE>,<VOL>
AUDCAD=,20080330,175100,0.93800,0.93800,0.93800,0.93800,1

Thanks guys

Gerald

ubrbt:

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased 1 minute spot forex data for 20 currency pairs going back 15 years but I am having problems importing this data into MetaTrader 4. The data came in a text document format but I have no idea how to format the data in the same order per line as Mt4 has. I have opened it up in Excel, but I cant seem to find out the proper way to have this data displayed so MT4 picks up on it.

In MT4 goto Tools>History Center ( F2 ) pick any pair that you currently have data for,  select any timeframe,  click Export and save the data as a CSV file . . . .  look at this file . . .  you now know the order of columns and data format  you need for your CSV file.

RaptorUK:
In MT4 goto Tools>History Center ( F2 ) pick any pair that you currently have data for,  select any timeframe,  click Export and save the data as a CSV file . . . .  look at this file . . .  you now know the order of columns and data format  you need for your CSV file.

Thanks so much for that. So will I have to manually alter every line of data in Excel, put dots where they are supposed to go etc?

ubrbt:

Thanks so much for that. So will I have to manually alter every line of data in Excel, put dots where they are supposed to go etc?
Dots ?  You will probably have to change the Symbol name and rearrange the order of the columns, just make it match the exported CSV from the History Center. But,  don't edit your only copy,  edit a copy of your data.

RaptorUK:
Dots ?  You will probably have to change the Symbol name and rearrange the order of the columns, just make it match the exported CSV from the History Center. But,  don't edit your only copy,  edit a copy of your data.

Thanks so much for your help. I have figured it out.

The problem now is that since I have so much data, it exceeds Excels max row limit..I have to break things up into smaller files. Sigh. Lessons learned however

ubrbt:

Thanks so much for your help. I have figured it out.

The problem now is that since I have so much data, it exceeds Excels max row limit..I have to break things up into smaller files. Sigh. Lessons learned however

You should code a script to make the changes for you . . . 

RaptorUK:

You should code a script to make the changes for you . . . 

Sorry but I don't know what you mean by this mate. Is there a way for me to have all data on a spreadsheet so I can import all M1 data to MT4?

ubrbt:

Sorry but I don't know what you mean by this mate. Is there a way for me to have all data on a spreadsheet so I can import all M1 data to MT4?

This Forum is about coding in mql4 . . . .

Write a script in mql4 to read your csv file and write out one in the correct format for MT4 

Reason: