OrderSend() slippage parameter, in points or in pips? - page 3

tonny:

When forum veterans post external links to brokers and other sites against forum rules no one opens their mouth but when others do it it becomes advertising, spam etc etc well i got something for you

If you are going to quote another members post then post what they ACTUALLY wrote, you have edited the link in Dabbler's post, I suggest you edit your post to remove what you added.

dabbler:

"Pip" has been described as "percentage in points" because for a pair with a value around 1.0000 the last digit is 0.01%, one hundredth of a percent. Now bring in 5 digit brokers and this definition still holds but traders now get sub-pip price changes. And you now see spreads of 1.6 pips instead of 2 pips.

https://alpari.com/en/forex-trading/spreads-and-margins.html

Notice how they are all in tenths of a pip resolution. That is what all this "pip to point conversion" is all about. Points are always the smallest movement on FOREX. You just have to stay clear of wretched XAUUSD which moves in 5 point intervals just to be annoying!

You blatantly ADVERTISE your own EAs, that is not permitted. External links are allowed, Advertising is not, if you can't understand the difference then please don't post either then there will be no need to Ban you.

tonny: Is a troll and spammer and spammer and spammer
Please do not feed the troll.

When you respond, you give the troll power. When you ignore the troll, he starves for attention and eventually dies.

WHRoeder:
Please do not feed the troll.

When you respond, you give the troll power. When you ignore the troll, he starves for attention and eventually dies.
Well dear roeder i didnt see you saying the same about this post(probably the biggest advertising in history of the web) and its comments nor this one while you claim mine is a spam. This is what im talking about. @raptor when some people post external link as a way to answer questions asked in the forum you also claim its spam/advertising. Lets be fair here. You are not a moderator so lets leave the work for the moderators if it bites both of you u were not picked as moderator to start pretending to be one you aint get over it.

tonny:
@raptor when some people post external link as a way to answer questions asked in the forum you also claim its spam/advertising. Lets be fair here. You are not a moderator so lets leave the work for the moderators if it bites both of you u were not picked as moderator to start pretending to be one you aint get over it.

I requested that you change your edited quote, you didn't so I had to do it for you. I asked you nicely . . next time I won't.

I have no problem with anyone all im asking for is fairness.

Sorry to drag this thread from the grave, but I'm not able to find any info on how the slippage parameter applies to indices, which are what I trade.

I just missed out on a winning trade because of this, so it'd be nice to figure it out.

When talking about indices, a point is a whole integer. Will MT4 view it the same way, despite the fact that some of my brokers include 1 decimal place and others have 2?

Or is there a way to simply disable this parameter in OrderSend?

@rrsch #: Sorry to drag this thread from the grave, but I'm not able to find any info on how the slippage parameter applies to indices, which are what I trade. I just missed out on a winning trade because of this, so it'd be nice to figure it out.

The slippage parameter only works on "Instant" execution policy as far as I know.

At the very least, I know for a fact that it is totally ignored on "Market" execution policy.

I don't have much experience with other execution policies, such as "Exchange" and "Request".

@rrsch #: When talking about indices, a point is a whole integer. Will MT4 view it the same way, despite the fact that some of my brokers include 1 decimal place and others have 2?Or is there a way to simply disable this parameter in OrderSend?

There is a difference between a "point" (as used in MetaTrader) and a "Point" (referring to whole numbers).

That is why it is best to always use "tick size" and "tick value" for all symbols, irrespective of traders using ticks, points, Points or Pips.

Fernando Carreiro #:

The slippage parameter only works on "Instant" execution policy as far as I know.

At the very least, I know for a fact that it is totally ignored on "Market" execution policy.

I don't have much experience with other execution policies, such as "Exchange" and "Request".

Hm. I'm only using order types OP_BUY and OP_SELL. These are market orders, right?

I got error #138 (Off quotes).

I see in the documentation "If the requested open price is fully out of date, the error 138 (ERR_REQUOTE) will be generated independently on the slippage parameter. If the requested price is out of date, but present in the thread, the order will be opened at the current price and only if the current price lies within the range of price+-slippage."

I have no idea what that's trying to tell me, I can't tell if that's relevant to my case or not?

Fernando Carreiro #:

There is a difference between a "point" (as used in MetaTrader) and a "Point" (referring to whole numbers).

That is why it is best to always use "tick size" and "tick value" for all symbols, irrespective of traders using ticks, points, Points or Pips.

Those are in use elsewhere in the EA, but the OrderSend function specifically seems to want a "point" value for the slippage parameter... previous comments in this thread clarify what this is for forex pairs, but what that means for indices I'm unsure.

Reason: