Noticing an imbalance in Long vs. Short results after a long period of drawdown

is it just me or my tester or is there something i've noticed: whenever i test any of my EAs now on my MetaTrader 4 platform, i have noticed that

if a SHORT trade is in drawdown for let's say a week or more on any chart, 1M, 1H or....well, those are the only two i use,

if the trade would have otherwise collected TakeProfit once it had hit its TakeProfit value, now it seems and through numerous tests, that even though

the result in the tester would have produced a PROFIT, the end result in the log is a huge LOSS, and it only affects SHORT trades.

i propose that anyone do a few or just one, even, test of an ea where there will definitely be drawdown;

have a look at the results of the short trades compared to long trades and see if the SHORTS have a lot more inexplicable,

huge losses than the LONGS do. I just want to know if it has been happening since years ago or if there is something wrong with my setup.

THAT doesn't matter too much either way, but i would have saved more good settings if they had not had a huge drop-off in the middle of the results.

Please see the chart/log below and note that trade # 95 WOULD HAVE

made its 10 pip profit, if it weren't for this 'phenomenon.' any brief posts/results appreciated------doublebass2

Do you use a badly coded trailing TP function of some sort ?

Not adjusting for spread. Your TP/SL for a Sell is Bid +- amount + (spread) == Ask +- amount

thanks for the inputs, will test some more, but this is the BB Bounds EA from

Trading System Forex, with a set TP of 4 pips, and although the picture/workspace depicts this,

a completely different EA with a set TP of i forget now, probably 10 had or has the same problem.

in each scenario it was evident that there is (was) either a signifcant reduction in profit when those

TPs were met, or a huge loss as depicted above, whereas looking at the chart visually suggests that

there was profit to be had. only on my MT4 tester, dunno yet about actual (forward testing).

no trailing stop used in either scenario. and, it never happens with BUY trades...

should there ever be a LOSS of $46.50 when there is supposed to be a GAIN of .40?

... thank you both and i hope to test more and get this figured-out with all of yours' help---db2

doublebass2:

should there ever be a LOSS of $46.50 when there is supposed to be a GAIN of .40?

... thank you both and i hope to test more and get this figured-out with all of yours' help---db2

Your trade closed when it hit TP . . . . and took a profit of -$46.50 . . . . how can that be ? how did your TP end up at 1.3046 ? what price did the trade open at ?

in hindsight, it would have opened at 4 pips above its TP, since it was a short trade.

the attached picture is of a completely-different EA chart, where short trades #95 and #99 are different

only by how LONG (lol) it had been since they came to be----obvious again is that the older trade would have taken

its profit SHORTly after it had gotten to the 'other side' of the drawdown mountain:

DO you think i need to remove and reinstall MT4? i have just started a new (practice) forward testing on 8 currency pairs

with a nice, reliable EA set-for Trailing Stop, and it has not had ANY negative results---

this whole thing probably relates only to the TESTING aspect of MT4, but we all strive for all the holes to line-up, don't we?

can you do just one or a couple tests on an EA and actually make it exhibit drawdown, to see if i am the only one

or if this is an inherent 'problem' with our testing program----that is a question to anyone reading this, as well---

i'll try to do this same test on my home computer; at least that will eliminate the 'is it THIS computer only' question----

thank you to all----db2

Swaps are modeled in the Strategy Tester, if you are going to hold a trade for 16 days you have to pay the swaps. Check your MODE_SWAPLONG and MODE_SWAPSHORT values.

okay, thanks---doing soon....

uhhh, sorry to have to ask, but is that in the actual EA itself or is it a

log file in the tester folder---plus, any ''swaps' i have ever seen have been

very little compared to the amounts that have been lost in this scenario.

yeah, if you could tell me where that would be....thank you very much---db2

doublebass2:

okay, thanks---doing soon....

uhhh, sorry to have to ask, but is that in the actual EA itself or is it a

log file in the tester folder---plus, any ''swaps' i have ever seen have been

very little compared to the amounts that have been lost in this scenario.

yeah, if you could tell me where that would be....thank you very much---db2

They are used with MarketInfo . . . print them out so you can see what they are or check the Symbol Properties from the market watch window.

RaptorUK:
They are used with MarketInfo . . . print them out so you can see what they are or check the Symbol Properties from the market watch wi

so, (i was in the tester area, clicked-on 'Symbol properties' there)

if Euro/USD has a swap short of -1.4, does that mean that most days if not every day the trade is in-effect, that

'amount' is charged to me as a deduction from my balance? these are uncharted waters for me, but it certainly

explains it because the 'swap long' amout is zero----am i getting this right?

if so, i'll concentrate a little more on long trades being successful --thanks for any reply---db

it's been a while since i've been (able to be) here, and just wanna say thanks for the responses---db
Reason: