Clarification - "Maximum deviation from quoted price" - listed as 'pips'??

Hi guys,

Just realised something that doesnt seem to make sense to me. MT4 seems to use 'points' natively, (ie the last decimal place, which for 5-digit brokers is a pippete/partial pip). Yet, in the order exection dialogue it lists the option for slippage in pips. Do they really mean points (last decimal place) and just worded it wrong, or is it limited to the 4th decimal place (a true pip for 5-digits)?

They mean points . . . hence the many, many, many posts about handling 4/5 digit Brokers correctly.

Ok thanks. this may explain why i'm being requoted like all hell. Well, one potential reason.

Any ideas then what an 'acceptable' slippage value for non-news conditions might be? 10pts/1pip, 20pts/2pip, etc?

seravitae:

Any ideas then what an 'acceptable' slippage value for non-news conditions might be? 10pts/1pip, 20pts/2pip, etc?

I think that depends on what you are willing to accept . . .

fair enough, i'll have a think and see. i'm assuming this thread will die shortly due to lack of interest, so in the off-chance that you might know a miscellaneous answer to a question, is there a drawing style for MT4 that draws solid color between two buffers for an indicator? I'd like to see if i can "color in" the space between the high-center and low-center bollinger band spaces depending on where the stick closed. MQL5 seems to have a solid drawing style, but i can't see any for MT4. I basically want to have a solid, filled channel between two points, but not have to rely on using massive amounts of rectangles or triangles.

If you can't figure it out then you should check out this article and code in MT5

seravitae:
fair enough, i'll have a think and see. i'm assuming this thread will die shortly due to lack of interest, so in the off-chance that you might know a miscellaneous answer to a question, is there a drawing style for MT4 that draws solid color between two buffers for an indicator? I'd like to see if i can "color in" the space between the high-center and low-center bollinger band spaces depending on where the stick closed. MQL5 seems to have a solid drawing style, but i can't see any for MT4. I basically want to have a solid, filled channel between two points, but not have to rely on using massive amounts of rectangles or triangles.
I think you could do it using a few more buffers and histograms . . . I posted about is a couple of weeks back.
Reason: