EAs don`t work on some MT4 platforms - Help!

Hello:

I am recently trying to text some EAs on MT4 platforms from brokers like OANDA, HOTFOREX, or the same MT4, download from metatrader4.com.

After plugging the EAs on the chart they do nothing (the face is smiling, and everything appears to be fine but they don`t trade at all). I had thought that was because they can`t place TP and SL on the market orders (TP and SL are not active, and only can be added by modifying the trade) but i don't know. On others platforms (from FXPRO for example, the EAs work fine).

I have already recompiled the EAs with the broker's MetaEditors with no results

What should i do? Who can i solve this?

marcat84:

Hello:

I am recently trying to text some EAs on MT4 platforms from brokers like OANDA, HOTFOREX, or the same MT4, download from metatrader4.com.

After plugging the EAs on the chart they do nothing (the face is smiling, and everything appears to be fine but they don`t trade at all). I had thought that was because they can`t place TP and SL on the market orders (TP and SL are not active, and only can be added by modifying the trade) but i don't know. On others platforms (from FXPRO for example, the EAs work fine).

I have already recompiled the EAs with the broker's MetaEditors with no results

What should i do? Who can i solve this?

HI MarCat,

Start with the simple stuff.

Did you test the EA's in the Strategy Tester? All of the EA's? Do they work in the Strategy Tester?

What are your error logs showing...both in the tester...and the terminal journal and expert tabs?

Even if the EA's are broker incompatible, if the EA compiles and works OK you should still be getting errors in the logs.

You also can always add more Comments and Print statements to trace down the problems... The more the better...!

After that...without sharing the EA's or specific errors and related code....it's just a guessing game for everyone...

Hope this helps,
Robert

cosmicbeing:

HI MarCat,

Start with the simple stuff.

Did you test the EA's in the Strategy Tester? All of the EA's? Do they work in the Strategy Tester?

What are your error logs showing...both in the tester...and the terminal journal and expert tabs?

Even if the EA's are broker incompatible, if the EA compiles and works OK you should still be getting errors in the logs.

You also can always add more Comments and Print statements to trace down the problems... The more the better...!

After that...without sharing the EA's or specific errors and related code....it's just a guessing game for everyone...

Hope this helps,
Robert

Hi friend, thanks for you time

I am very confused here... the strategy tester does't work. ¨TestGenerator: no ticks generated¨

As i say the only difference between the MT4 brokers that EAs works and those who does't, wich i see, is TP/SL are not active for market trades and only can be added by modifying the trade. On FxPro for example it is possible to place TP/SL on market orders. There EAs works normally.

I am attaching one of the EA just in case, none of them work....

What confuses me more is that i can't find this problem like a common one along the internet....

Thanks for your help.

Files:

Try running a Blank EA in the Back_Tester. By Blank_EA what I mean is that all it has is int Start(){Return(0);}.

ubzen:
Try running a Blank EA in the Back_Tester. By Blank_EA what I mean is that all it has is int Start(){Return(0);}.

mmm ok i did it...

¨BLANK_EA loaded successfully¨

¨No ticks generated¨

Sounds like the same error as the one with the EA. I recommend connecting the Mt4 terminals you want to test with unto an actual account so that it downloads some data. And then try again.

Added: This could also be Vista/Win7 issue. Don't install Terminals in the Program Files for those Operating Systems.

1. BarCount = Bar Bars is unreliable (doesn't change at max bars on chart) Volume is unreliable (you can miss ticks) always use time
  2. Always count down when closing in the presence of multiple orders
  3. EA's must adjust for 4/5 digit brokers or YOU must change TP, SL, AND slippage externals depending on your broker.
  4. On ECN brokers the EA must open first and THEN set stops - EA is not compatible.
  5. Always test return codes and print errors - This EA does not so you will Never know why it doesn't work.
  6. Never install in \program files* on Vista/Win7

WHRoeder:
  1. BarCount = Bar Bars is unreliable (doesn't change at max bars on chart) Volume is unreliable (you can miss ticks) always use time
  2. Always count down when closing in the presence of multiple orders
  3. EA's must adjust for 4/5 digit brokers or YOU must change TP, SL, AND slippage externals depending on your broker.
  4. On ECN brokers the EA must open first and THEN set stops - EA is not compatible.
  5. Always test return codes and print errors - This EA does not so you will Never know why it doesn't work.
  6. Never install in \program files* on Vista/Win7

No 3: there are brokers, esp, new ones nowadays that contains both fractional and non-fractional instruments. Hence, EA adjust to brokers is not the case. Rather EA, adjust to the differing instruments, as the same broker may offer both kinds (fractional pips, non-fractional pips)

marcat84:

mmm ok i did it...

¨BLANK_EA loaded successfully¨ ¨No ticks generated¨

Hi MarCat,

A few more suggestions for you -

1) "no ticks generated" may mean there is no History for the data. Check and refresh your History (Tools/History Center) and try again.

2) Use one of the standard sample EA's that are included in all MT4 downloads. Test the sample EA's and see the results to make sure your MT4 terminal and Strategy Tester programs are working ok. Then try your other EA's again once you know the sample EA's work ok. If the sample EA's don't work, something is wrong with your MT4 terminal program(s). Open a new demo account and download a new one. Try again.

3) Follow WHRoeder's advice...especially #5 and #6. Make sure you have the EA's in the proper folders if you have /Vista/Win7.

4) Provide the error logs and other logs. They should have more info than just the "no ticks" message? The more clues you have the better the advice you get.

5) I ran the CoinToss EA and it worked fine. Didn't add or change anything, just ran it straight after I compiled it. See screen shot attached.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi guys, i appreciate you help!!

Please notice that i have run the same EA (installed the same way etc) on PxPro MT4 platform and it worked perfectly!!

The only difference i see between FxPro and those brokers wich it does`t place orders is that IT ISN`T ABLE TO PLACE TP/SL ON THE MARKET ORDERS (you have to make the order and then modify it to place TPs/SLs.

I think maybe that`s the only problem.

It is something what WHRoeder suggested on this 4º point. Maybe the EA is just not compatible.

May somebody modify the EA to make it compatible??

I found this problem interesting because I programmed something simple for someone before and they could not get it to work live nor in the back-tester giving the same error messages and symptoms you're describing. I believe the broker was OANDA. The person stop responding to my troubleshooting help so I never got to the bottom of it.

But you also mentioned it not working on the Default Mt4 downloaded from this site. I used the link on bottom of this website to download the Default mt4 and it worked for me. I'm No longer convinced that it's a broker specific issue or a version issue. Cause it sounds like even if you run a Blank EA which just prints(___Hello___) it may not work.

So forget the making compatible issue (for now), for one thing most people will not fix an EA for you here because this is a self help forum. I recommend that you focus on the Window Vista/7 issue.

Reason: