view my tester values - page 2

The very simple way to see the effect of spread (assuming you are using constant position sizing) is to work out how many pips you make in the average trade, and see how much that will be reduced. I don't think you said anywhere what size of position you are using, but it it was 0.1 lots, you are making about 11 pips a trade and the spread could affect it but not destroy profitability entirely.

zzuegg:

Hi,

You have a winning rate of 3.77%: what does this mean?

You are generally go out of the trade pretty soon if the price goes against you. Also the average loss/trade supports that idea. You can't trade high lotsizes since your system survived 278 losses in a row.

This can suggest that your system might be very sensitive to small movements of the price (generally the tester is not very reliable when it comes to tick sensitive trading systems). Also a spread increase of a few points might make your system hit the stop more often. (In a worst case scenario also a part of the winning trades).

The 2.5 pip questions had no specific reason, but i assumed that your general spread was lower and from personal (kind of expensive) experience i learned that spread is all other than similar with a standart testing environment. Fluctuations up to 30pips can and do happen.

But you could give us a few more informations, do you exit by stoploss or based on some indicators? Sorry, that might be all we can tell based on the informations you gave us. All we can see is a statistical overview of your strategy.

At last i suggest to get some good history. You have a few mismatched chart errors. This can also be a killer already

you said "do you exit by stoploss or based on some indicators?"

answer: This is a StopLossLess system that simply goes from LONG to SHORT position based on a Moving average.

you said "i suggest to get some good history"

answer: I dont know how to download the Alpari history. Alpari doesnt provide a link but rather assume my MT4 history center is pointed to thier server when I told to hit download. My Server is MBTrader. Ive been searching for a way short of installing Alpari version of MT4. Thanks

Elroch:

The very simple way to see the effect of spread (assuming you are using constant position sizing) is to work out how many pips you make in the average trade, and see how much that will be reduced. I don't think you said anywhere what size of position you are using, but it it was 0.1 lots, you are making about 11 pips a trade and the spread could affect it but not destroy profitability entirely.

you said "I don't think you said anywhere what size of position you are using"

Answer: My Lot size is 0.3

iterestingly, after I posted the question I since found a symbol changer that changes the spread in the symbol.sel file. I have found that my backtesting profit doesnt change regardless of what spread I change it to. I have concluded that either MBTraders proprietary MT4 software looks to another file (other than symbol.sel) for spread or that I should be looking for some other parameter that is effecting the trade. Again I was looking to see what eurusd and usddkk had in common as my strategy is only sucessful (in backtesting) on these two pairs. I am now forward testing and surprised at the great results from to other pairs EURAUD and EURCAD.

Thanks for you comment

trueresource:

you said "I don't think you said anywhere what size of position you are using"

Answer: My Lot size is 0.3

iterestingly, after I posted the question I since found a symbol changer that changes the spread in the symbol.sel file. I have found that my backtesting profit doesnt change regardless of what spread I change it to. I have concluded that either MBTraders proprietary MT4 software looks to another file (other than symbol.sel) for spread or that I should be looking for some other parameter that is effecting the trade. Again I was looking to see what eurusd and usddkk had in common as my strategy is only sucessful (in backtesting) on these two pairs. I am now forward testing and surprised at the great results from to other pairs EURAUD and EURCAD.

Thanks for you comment

My experience with the utilty I have used is that it correctly sets the spread, as long as you have made sure to do the testing offline. Perhaps you did it online, in which case the spread changer would overwrite the spread, then it would immediately get overwritten back again by the live feed?
Reason: