64 bit MT4? - page 2

7bit:

Eclipse is primarily an IDE. I use it a lot for Python. You probably mean Java? not really. I don't like virtual machine overhead or the need of huge runtimes, except sometimes when I'm doing Python stuff. I'm not talking about managed code or VM code or interpreted code or any such thing. I personally like small and fast running highly optimized native code. They could have just steered clear of any Microsoft IDE or compiler or framework and this would already have solved 90% of the problems.

I personally would have written (rewritten) this whole thing with FPC/Lazarus which would instantly solve most (if not all) portability problems but this is just a personal preference, there are also other tools (although none of them even remotely as advanced as Lazarus). The second best option besides FPC/LCL would probably be C++/Qt then there is a huge gap and then comes VM code with Java/Swing (and Netbeans as a RAD tool).

I won't pretend to know as much about this as you. I just played around with eclipse for android app development, but i noticed that it could be used to compile all kinds of languages and platforms. Other than that, my compiler experience consists of VBA and Bloodshed's Dev C++. I've also used Waterloo Maple extensively, and used it to code "Maplets" so it's somewhat of a programming language if you use your imagination. Like i said, I'm neither a coder nor a trader, I'm just a nuclear engineer.

robofx.org:
Quire right! Another solution is just to disable the virtual store (UAC). Then these folders become unprotected and everything is just fine.

In x64 vista, I've found that if you run MT4 as an administrator (as well as the compiler) it makes most poblems go away. You still have to do some manual file moves from the "compatibility files" folder everytime you're copying something new into the experts folder and then click "accept" a million times. In retrospect I should have just installed MT4 outside of program files, but i didn't know it was going to be such a pain. Maybe i'll just move the installed folder somewhere else anyways and call it a day.

Hi

I have two PC with Windows 7 64bits and Vista 64Bits. No problem at all, even with my MT4 in Program files (x86)

MT4 should be treated as a "portable app" (which it essentially is). An application that keeps all stuff inside one folder, needing no installation and usable for running it off a thumb drive on any other PC. Such an application should typically not be installed in "Program Files" but rather into a folder in the user's profile.

If MetaQuotes insists on this being intentionally and by design then they should fix their installer so that it will not default to install the whole thing in Program Files but rather in a folder that is accessible by the user (My Documents, Desktop, etc.).

Either the installer is correct and the application is wrong or the application is meant as a "portable app", then the installer is wrong.

phy:

Install outside of the "protected" C:\\Program Files or C:\\Program Files(x86) seems to be the answer for me.

I made an MT4 partition, just in case a logfile goes wild or some other little indiscretion occurs.

I'll try this. Thanks, phy!

Reason: