Profits MAE correlation

What does it mean for my trading system if the correlation between MAE and profits is negative (-1.0) but that for MFE and profits is positive(+1.0)?

Should I introduce a tight stoploss?...

ssn:
What does it mean for my trading system if the correlation between MAE and profits is negative (-1.0) but that for MFE and profits is positive(+1.0)?

Can you show your results ? I don't know MAE very well, but seems to me that if you introduce a tight stop you will have a lot of loss.

angevoyageur:
Can you show your results ? I don't know MAE very well, but seems to me that if you introduce a tight stop you will have a lot of loss.
Actually I have had another look at the report and even though the MAE profits correlation is negative its max. absolute amount is about 1/340 of the MFE's max. amount. So probably I should not be too concerned I guess. So I guess you're right, a tight stop loss might mean me coming up with a totally different trading system.

ssn:

MAE is an abbreviation of "Maximum Adverse Excursion". It is like the lowest point (basically shown in pips) of a trade before it is closed. So for example, If we buy EURUSD at 1.3000 and the trade goes negative by 200 pips (1.2800) and then comes back in profits, and you close it for 50 pips (1.3050), the MAE would be 200 pips (or low of the trade in terms of pips). Now see it for yourself, a trade goes negative by 200 pips and gets closed for 50 pips, of course, the risk-reward is not good and hence the MAE profit correlation will be negative.

On the other hand, MFE, which is "Maximum Favourable Excursion" is the opposite of MAE. For example, the trade goes negative only by 20 pips and then you close it for 200 pips profit, there will be positive correlation of MFE and profits. 

Hope that helps. :)

Shunmas:

MAE is an abbreviation of "Maximum Adverse Excursion". It is like the lowest point (basically shown in pips) of a trade before it is closed. So for example, If we buy EURUSD at 1.3000 and the trade goes negative by 200 pips (1.2800) and then comes back in profits, and you colse it for 50 pips (1.3050), the MAE would be 200 pips (or low of the trade in terms of pips). Now see it for yourself, a trade goes negative by 200 pips and gets closed for 50 pips, of course, the risk-reward is not good and hence the MAE profit correlation will be negative.

Hope that helps. :)

Maybe that helps, but that doesn't reply to the question ;-)

In MT5 backtesting results, we have Correlation MAE/Profit. ssn said he obtain a value of -1. Can you explain the meaning ? I can't (except to say the obvious, that MAE and profit are inversely correlated).

angevoyageur:

Maybe that helps, but that doesn't reply to the question ;-)

In MT5 backtesting results, we have Correlation MAE/Profit. ssn said he obtain a value of -1. Can you explain the meaning ? I can't (except to say the obvious, that MAE and profit are inversely correlated).

That's what I said above. If the loss withstood is greater than the outcome of trade, it would be a negative correlation (obviously). For more explanations, visit: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/53/page13

List of changes in MetaTrader 5 Client Terminal builds
List of changes in MetaTrader 5 Client Terminal builds
  • www.mql5.com
See the "MQL5 Reference / Standard constants, enumerations and structures / Named constants / Other constants " section.

Shunmas:

That's what I said above. If the loss withstood is greater than the outcome of trade, it would be a negative correlation (obviously). For more explanations, visit: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/53/page13

Thanks for the link.

angevoyageur:
Thanks for the link.
You are most welcome :)
Reason: