MT5 a step backwards?? - page 9

jjc:
In your original hedged example, your position is closed at stage 2. You have no net position in the market. You are 1 lot long and 1 lot short. But, privately, you are treating this as consisting of two separate positions. You can continue to do that in a non-hedged environment. You just need to structure the orders differently - and write your EA differently.

You are exactly right. It is two positions BUT the positions are not close.

And that is the secret of hedging. Why would close your original position to have it open again and pay a third spread????

And please do give me a NON-HEDGE EQUIVALENT of MY HEDGE EXAMPLE without paying a third spread!!

ckingher:

You are exactly right. It is two positions BUT the positions are not close.

And that is the secret of hedging. Why would close your original position to have it open again and pay a third spread????

In the non-hedged equivalent, consisting only of two buy orders, you are not paying any extra spread. You will, also, on average, do better on swap in the non-hedged version than in the hedged one.

Dude, the only example of a close equivalence to hedging would be triangular trading. But triangular trading is FLAWED!

With triangular trading, there is an elusive third symbol that can mess you up big time. Triangular trading is not equivalent to HEDGING!

ckingher:

Dude, the only example of a close equivalence to hedging would be triangular trading. But triangular trading is FLAWED!

Dude... I've got no idea what you think triangular trading has got to do with it. Your original hedged example is simply equivalent to placing a buy order at 1.2000 and closing it at 1.3000, and then later opening another buy order at 1.2000 and closing it at 1.5000. It doesn't matter what your system is thinking and intending behind the scenes. Those are the equivalent orders in a non-hedged environment, leading to the same financial result, and which could be placed by an MT5 version of the EA.

The thing which changes in MT5 is that the orders you have in the market no longer necessarily correspond so intuitively to how an EA is internally thinking of its position. But your actual net position in the market remains the same, and you can still run the same strategies. You just have to think slightly differently.

jjc:
Dude... I've got no idea what you think triangular trading has got to do with it. Your original hedged example is simply equivalent to placing a buy order at 1.2000 and closing it at 1.3000, and then later opening another buy order at 1.3000 and closing it at 1.5000. It doesn't matter what your system is thinking and intending behind the scenes. Those are the equivalent orders in a non-hedged environment, leading to the same financial result, and which could be placed by an MT5 version of the EA.

Why would you do TWO LONG positons when you can do it with ONE LONG position? Do you like paying extra spreads to your broker? And what happened to the retracement trade? If you add the retracement trade, you would have THREE trades in the NONHEDGING as opposed to ONLY TWO TRADES in the HEDGING examples.

jjc:
Dude... I've got no idea what you think triangular trading has got to do with it. Your original hedged example is simply equivalent to placing a buy order at 1.2000 and closing it at 1.3000, and then later opening another buy order at 1.3000 and closing it at 1.5000. It doesn't matter what your system is thinking and intending behind the scenes. Those are the equivalent orders in a non-hedged environment, leading to the same financial result, and which could be placed by an MT5 version of the EA.

Why would you do TWO LONG positons when you can do it with ONE LONG position? Do you like paying extra spreads to your broker? And what happened to the retracement trade? If you add the retracement trade, you would have THREE trades in the NONHEDGING as opposed to ONLY TWO TRADES in the HEDGING examples.

ckingher:

Again, no. In the non-hedged equivalent of your hedged example, you achieve the same result with 2 buy orders and 0 sell orders, rather than 1 buy order and 1 sell order. That gives you the same position in the market throughout, and the same financial result - because, again, in your original hedged example the system is never net-short.

You are placing the same number of orders in each version. Therefore, I don't know why you keep asking if I like paying extra spreads. The spread charge in the hedged and non-hedged versions is the same. And the swap is potentially better in the non-hedged version.

OKAY, why don't you give me how much pips you got with your NONHEDGING example compare to my 3000 pips HEDGE example?

ckingher:

OKAY, why don't you give me how much pips you got with your NONHEDGING example compare to my 3000 pips HEDGE example?

The same number of pips. You make 1000 pips on the first buy order, opened at 1.2000 and closed at 1.3000, and 3000 pips on the second buy order, opened at 1.2000 and closed at 1.5000. (Note that the total is 4000. Your original calculation of 3000 is wrong. In your original example, if you open at buy order in stage 1 at 1.2000 and close it in stage 4 at 1.5000, that's 3000 pips, not the 2000 which you wrote.)
Reason: