Conditional Statement failure... [At wits end] if ( 1.4225 > 1.4225) is NOT TRUE!!!!!!

I am about at my wits end with having to make exceptions for normalized double's that don't make sense. I have had most of my troubles with conditional if statements

There are several occurrences of this problem throughout my expert. Most I have either found a different algorithm to handle the situation or had to fudge a parameter by adding or subtracting a Point to force proper treatment. As a retired Software Automation Test Engineer for Cisco, you can only imagine how this bothers me.

I am therefore hoping that by some quirkiness of MQL4 that the NormalizedDouble 4 Digits has an extra precision where is correct 1.4225(1) > 1.4225.

Please help I am very distressed at this point.

John

trigger        = NormalizeDouble(iCustom(Symbol(), Period(), "_VTN Trigger", UPPER, 0),Digits);
   triggerAnchor  = NormalizeDouble(iCustom(Symbol(), Period(), "_VTN Trigger", UPPER, 1),Digits);

if ( trigger > triggerAnchor ) {
      text        = StringConcatenate("DynamicStoploss(): trigger ", trigger, ">", triggerAnchor, " triggerAnchor; ");
      _arrow      = Red;
   }

//OUTPUT

18:30:43 2008.09.15 21:24  Expert Advisor I EURUSD,H1: DEBUG_ORDERS: DynamicStoploss(): trigger 1.4225>1.4225 triggerAnchor; 

johnmcglaughlin:

I am about at my wits end with having to make exceptions for normalized double's that don't make sense. I have had most of my troubles with conditional if statements

There are several occurrences of this problem throughout my expert. Most I have either found a different algorithm to handle the situation or had to fudge a parameter by adding or subtracting a Point to force proper treatment. As a retired Software Automation Test Engineer for Cisco, you can only imagine how this bothers me.

I am therefore hoping that by some quirkiness of MQL4 that the NormalizedDouble 4 Digits has an extra precision where is correct 1.4225(1) > 1.4225.

Please help I am very distressed at this point.

John

Also NOTE

Have run test script and expert which use the same logic by setting smple vars and the code succeeds. e.g.

double a = 1.4225,
       b = 1.4225;

if ( a > b ) {
   Print ("Greater Than");
} else 
if ( a == b ) {
   Print ("Equal To");
} else 
if ( a < b ) {
   Print ("Less Than");
}

Have you tried using the CompareDoubles(d1,d2) function?

cloudbreaker:
Have you tried using the CompareDoubles(d1,d2) function?

I have no CompareDoubles(d1,d2) function

???

Use the function DoubleToStr(YourDouble,Digits).

Roger:
Use the function DoubleToStr(YourDouble,Digits).

This sounds like you are confirming my theory that the NormalizedDouble to Digits is actually a larger precision?

If this is the case then I am confused as to my solution to use DoubleToStr()

Would I be forcing a type.

NOTE I hate using needless cycles.

string t, tAnchor;
o
o
o 

trigger        = NormalizeDouble(iCustom(Symbol(), Period(), "_VTN Trigger", UPPER, 0),Digits);
   triggerAnchor  = NormalizeDouble(iCustom(Symbol(), Period(), "_VTN Trigger", UPPER, 1),Digits);

string t       = DoubleToStr(trigger, Digits),
          tAnchor = DoubleToStr(triggerAnchor, Digits);

if ( t> tAnchor ) {
      text        = StringConcatenate("DynamicStoploss(): trigger ", trigger, ">", triggerAnchor, " triggerAnchor; ");
      _arrow      = Red;
   }

//OR
   t              = DoubleToStr(trigger, Digits),
   tAnchor        = DoubleToStr(triggerAnchor, Digits);
   trigger        = t;
   triggerAnchor  = tAnchor;

if ( trigger > triggerAnchor ) {
      _arrow      = Red;
   } 

Wrong. Use only for print functions.

text        = StringConcatenate("DynamicStoploss(): trigger ", DoubleToStr(trigger,Digits), ">", DoubleToStr(triggerAnchor,Digits), " triggerAnchor; ");

Hi Friends,
Common rule to compare doubles: use "if ( D1 - D2 > 0 ) {...}" instead of "if ( D1 > D2 ) {...}".
Best regards,
Ais

OK so WE ARE off topic

The problem is that the Expert Advisor is stating that

1.4225 > 1.4225 is true.

This is what I am trying to address.

the trigger and triggerAnchor are obtained from a custom indicator.

The numbers are normalized to the precision of the currency pair.

The SELL condition under test is nearly perfect. The trade enters but a condition immediately closes the trade when the Dynamic stoploss detects that the trigger has become less than the trigger Anchor, an indication that a headfake is probable. And the trade exits for a spread loss. The actual trade goes short and never looks back hitting first and second targets.

My conundrum is that my dynamic stoploss routine is sensing a headfake when there is none. 1.4225 > 1.4225 is false but the conditional statement takes it as true.

I have upgraded to build 223 and this still occurs.

Ais:
Hi Friends,
Common rule to compare doubles: use "if ( D1 - D2 > 0 ) {...}" instead of "if ( D1 > D2 ) {...}".
Best regards,
Ais

ARGGGGGH.,

Thanks so much I vaguely remember reading about this.

BUT

can you explain WHY one needs to perform such a bizare statement for MQL?

johnmcglaughlin:

I have no CompareDoubles(d1,d2) function

???

Its in the stdlib.mq4 library.

Reason: