Problems sending email or text messages from MetaTrader - page 2

Roger:

Yes, you right, Gmail is useless for you. Try this interesting thing

http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

FYI, you can achieve the same effect using the SMTP Virtual Server in Microsoft IIS. It's debatable which will be easier to set up, or more reliable. (See separate topic: 'sending mail')

Cloudbreaker wrote >>

Sorry LaBombaGrande, what you are saying is just not true. MT4 DOES INDEED support smtp servers which require the "My server requires authentication" checkbox in MS Outlook to be checked!!

I'm not actually sure that it's entirely true to say - as a universal truth - that MT4 supports authentication over SMTP.

In the topic linked to above I suggested trying a Yahoo account, over port 587, because Yahoo definitely allows authentication without SSL. However, I've now actually tried this from MetaTrader, and it doesn't seem to work. Should do, but doesn't. It generates a "553 From: address not verified error" - which confirms that a connection is successfully established, but the authentication is failing. The same thing does work from e.g. .NET code using the SmtpClient class, so I'd hazard a guess that whatever mail library Metaquotes are using isn't doing an absolutely comprehensive implementation of SMTP authentication.

jjc:

FYI, you can achieve the same effect using the SMTP Virtual Server in Microsoft IIS. It's debatable which will be easier to set up, or more reliable. (See separate topic: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/115773)

I'm not actually sure that it's entirely true to say - as a universal truth - that MT4 supports authentication over SMTP.

In the topic linked to above I suggested trying a Yahoo account, over port 587, because Yahoo definitely allows authentication without SSL. However, I've now actually tried this from MetaTrader, and it doesn't seem to work. Should do, but doesn't. It generates a "553 From: address not verified error" - which confirms that a connection is successfully established, but the authentication is failing. The same thing does work from e.g. .NET code using the SmtpClient class, so I'd hazard a guess that whatever mail library Metaquotes are using isn't doing an absolutely comprehensive implementation of SMTP authentication.

The 553 is not an MT4 error message.

I've seen and tested the resolution for that error before.

It is generated by the smtp server provider.

It tends to be generated if the reply-to email address you use does not match what the provider expects you to use. Eg if the address is from a different domain and they therefore think you're trying to use their service as a relay, possibly with a spoof email address.

Does that check out for you?

cloudbreaker:

[...] Does that check out for you?

The 553 ought to be a problem with the from address for the mail not matching either (a) the email address of the Yahoo account, or (b) another, external address which has been verified within Yahoo. However, I'm sure that the from address I'm telling MetaTrader to use is correct - I'm copying and pasting the same details into both the "SMTP login" and the "From" boxes. If the address were wrong, login would fail (and does, if I test this by entering a made-up address).

I may well be missing something, but I can't see a cause for this other than a weakness in the Metaquotes email code.

jjc:

The 553 ought to be a problem with the from address for the mail not matching either (a) the email address of the Yahoo account, or (b) another, external address which has been verified within Yahoo. However, I'm sure that the from address I'm telling MetaTrader to use is correct - I'm copying and pasting the same details into both the "SMTP login" and the "From" boxes. If the address were wrong, login would fail (and does, if I test this by entering a made-up address).

I may well be missing something, but I can't see a cause for this other than a weakness in the Metaquotes email code.

Hmm. I use BT Yahoo! too with no problem (and I do a LOT of email in the EAs I've written). Although I can recreate that 553 by keying another email address into the From: field.

Some services now want you to sign in to a web verification page for each address you wish to use. Is that appropriate for you?

Try this link: http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_adp.php?cat_lvl1=346&cat_lvl2=401&cat_lvl3=412&cat_lvl4=418&p_cv=4.418&p_cats=346,401,412,418&p_faqid=10903

EDIT: I can see you refer to this internal verification process above so I'm stumped as it works for me. Have you tried without explicitly pointing at a different port number? The reason that I ask is that my own BT Yahoo! smtp server is just sitting at the default.

On another subject - can you see why I was getting frustrated earlier in this thread?  :-)

cloudbreaker:

[...] Is that appropriate for you?

My interest in this is purely, er, disinterested. I don't have any mail issues myself. I'm just trying to help to diagnose someone else's problem.

On another subject - can you see why I was getting frustrated earlier in this thread?  :-)

Yes. Though nothing will top your response to https://forum.mql4.com/21015. I was reading the original post with absolute incredulity, and then scrolled down to find that there was a lone, small beacon of sense out there somewhere.

jjc:

My interest in this is purely, er, disinterested. I don't have any mail issues myself. I'm just trying to help to diagnose someone else's problem.

Yes. Though nothing will top your response to https://forum.mql4.com/21015. I was reading the original post with absolute incredulity, and then scrolled down to find that there was a lone, small beacon of sense out there somewhere.

Can anyone advise on this subject once and for all ?

I tried gmail & yahoo and it doesn't work.

So what is the solution ???

For those who are still confused, or still looking for an SMTP server, SMTP2GO provides one that works with MetaTrader.

Read more about it here:

http://www.smtp2go.com/blog/smtp-server-metatrader/

LaBombaGrande:

Hey guys,

I went through the forums looking for help to see why I wasn't able to send email or text alerts from MetaTrader. I didn't find much but what I found on my own was that most ISPs or online email sites require that the "My Server Requires Authentication" box be checked. MetaTrader doesn't provide for this setup. Sooo, my solution? Find a SMTP provider online that doesn't require authentication. I'm currently using smtp.com. Their family plan is 30 emails/day for only USD22 per year. Hope this helps others with similiar problems.

use xpMail

It sends to gmail/yahoo/hotmail etc

Reason: