mt5 strategy tester ticks - page 7

Ubzen:
Nice try :)))  Still never done for mt4 what makes you so optimistic it'll happen with mt5?
In fact, they backtracked with MT4. They supress support of custom FXT and now we need a thihrd party tool to use it. You probably better know this history than me, as I am only use MT4 since Nov.2011.

Ubzen:

I'm studying oop designs at the moment also learning about mt5|mql5. Once I feel comfortable, I'll move the thread :-) ** It'll probably consume allot of my time on this forum.

If you lead this project, you can count on me, but I can't lead it as I have other project.

Ubzen:
Given time and a determined reverse-engineer, this would be your best hope.
Are you talking about hcs format ? Or what else to "reverse-engineer" ?

angevoyageur: Are you talking about hcs format ? Or what else to "reverse-engineer" ?

.hcc for period_m1.

ticks.dat for tick_data.

My guess is that the above files are protected. Not simple as converting a binary-file into a text-file and viewing the contents. If someone knows the format of the .hcc file, care only about period_m1 and don't mind the platform generating generic ticks, then replacing/modifying this file might be enough. I think of .hcc like .hst.

ticks.dat file as I understand it is the generated ticks format. Same reasons above ^. Just like needing a 3rd_Party for .fxt files, you'll need another which can not only create ticks.dat but also fight mt5 from over-writing your files.

I'm not a software engineer by profession. And stand to be corrected. 

RaptorUK: Simple,  MT4 allows the User to have control of the History data,  this is essential for a Test Environment. When/if a MT5 user is allowed the same facility then it will be a much simpler proposition to use tick data.
We're going in cycles again lol. You start out talking Tick_Data. When I point-out that mt4 cannot Import Ticks [without 3rd Parties Hacks]. You change the subject to Period_M1 Importing.

Ubzen:

.hcc for period_m1.

ticks.dat for tick_data.

My guess is that the above files are protected. Not simple as converting a binary-file into a text-file and viewing the contents. If someone knows the format of the .hcc file, care only about period_m1 and don't mind the platform generating generic ticks, then replacing/modifying this file might be enough. I think of .hcc like .hst.

ticks.dat file as I understand it is the generated ticks format. Same reasons above ^. Just like needing a 3rd_Party for .fxt files, you'll need another which can not only create ticks.dat but also fight mt5 from over-writing your files.

I'm not a software engineer by profession. And stand to be corrected. 

.hcc file isn't like .hst. Did you read this ?

Anyway, I don't see how we can do this : "don't mind the platform generating generic ticks". hcc file store M1 data, on this basis .hc file for chart are created, and .hcs file for strategy tester are also created. Then ST use these .hcs to generate emulated ticks on the fly.

angevoyageur:

1> .hcc file isn't like .hst. Did you read this ?

2> Anyway, I don't see how we can do this : 

"don't mind the platform generating generic ticks". hcc file store M1 data, on this basis .hc file for chart are created, and .hcs file for strategy tester are also created. Then ST use these .hcs to generate emulated ticks on the fly.

1> Yeah, I read that link. Lets face it, afaik .hcc file is a mystery. I need to compare it to something familiar. I think of .hcc as a .hst which can only store period_m1 data + its protected. All other time-frames are generated from this Period_M1 data [same case in mt4 using period converter] <-Again just another analogy *Other period can be created without being based on m1*. However the other time-frames goes into a .hc format, <probably another protected file. I knew the ticks are generated on the fly.

2> How we can do what? I already dismissed the idea of reverse-engineering anything of meta-quotes within my thread. Thats something for another website || engineers. I've already decided on Libraries and yes it's allot of work... thats the implication. Trying to use existing mt-stuff which are protected or un-documented leads to the following.

1> Meta-Quotes stated publicly upon a forum, they don't want any tempering with their stuff.

2> .fxt support as an example removed from the meta-trader 4 platform without notice.

3> bugs within programs like spread_changer which was used within mt4 to modify spreads.

4> No-Support from Mq && Changes within future version of the files would break your solutions.

I have a hard time keeping up. It seems to me that you say one thing in a comment,

Ubzen:

Given time and a determined reverse-engineer, this would be your best hope.

and the opposite the next.

I already dismissed the idea of reverse-engineering anything of meta-quotes within my thread.

Kindly.

angevoyageur: I have a hard time keeping up. It seems to me that you say one thing in a comment, and the opposite the next. Kindly.

Sorry it's not my intend. I've been trying to avoid writing a book. Maybe thats why I seem confusing. But my response was toward this comment:

WhooDoo22: There's also the possibility certain MQL5 users have already discovered methods to enable the MQL5 tester so it can read incorporated real tick data files or have modified data format and code so it can be read by the tester but I'm currently unaware of either having been done.

To which I responded:

Ubzen: Given time and a determined reverse-engineer, this would be your best hope.

Reason is because I believe that a Reverse-Engineer is the Only_Person who can deliver what 99% of the [ Tick_Data ] or the [ Import-Data ] people want. Most people do-not want the hassle of dealing with a Library. Why-not solution from Mq, because Mq have said heck-no in more ways than I can count. I'm more than willing to argue-to-death with anyone who thinks Mq will provide a solution for this anytime soon.

To WhooDoo22 point that there are possibly some users having incorporated real-tick || importing into mt5, I say he has made a really good point. And I'm agreeing with him, however, I'm stating that this person would-not be an average mql5 programmer. As we speak, someone could already have implemented this, tomorrow they could post a link saying "download here". And thats why I believe that's his best hope.

Ubzen: I already dismissed the idea of reverse-engineering anything of meta-quotes within my thread.

First, angevoyageur, I'm not sure about your background. You might be a Reverse-Engineer || have the skills. I don't want to come off like I know it all because I don't know everything. However, based on my experience and research, I concluded the following.

1st: The .hcc file format is-something like a Binary-File. This Binary-File is 1st off Encrypted [ Characters don't make sense in .txt editors ].

2nd: Mq didn't release the specs to this file on purpose. Mq does-not want the specs to this file released. Mq does have the specs to this file. Mq releasing the specs to this file would be quite simple. All this was done with .hst files ... example the Period_Converter. You didn't even need the Import feature of mt4. You can create these files .. drag and drop them within the history folder and they worked. The same should be the case for .hcc files [good bet - but we don't know that].

3rd: If Mq don't want us knowing, there's a good chance that the .hcc file is also Protected. Thinking about it, mt5 was around when I registered on mql4.com and No-One has managed to post the specifications for the .hcc format yet. When this file format does become public-information, I'll bet Mq will change it.

4th: You yourself posted the warning here. I'm not dumb-enough to engage in Reversing a Protected file within a mql5-forum post. Plus ++ I simply lack the skills ;). Even if I did manage to unlock the file, I wouldn't post it here. IMO, this type of job cannot be easy [but I'm not a Reverse-Engineer].

5th: Why do I insist on developing something which does-not have a wide-appeal? Because its what I have the skill-set to develop. I believe it'll be a good learning opportunity and project. I don't want to wait for the Mq solution which will never come. I don't know when the Reverse-Engineer's solution will come. Knowing WhooDoo22, he's asking for the same solutions as RaptorUK. My project is simply not what they have in mind. Their solutions would sooner come from Reverse-Engineers than it would come from me because I don't plan on Reversing anything anytime soon.

MetaQuotes Warns Brokers About Illegal Plugins
MetaQuotes Warns Brokers About Illegal Plugins
  • Ron Finberg
  • www.financemagnates.com
This week we saw the ‘writing on the wall’ in our comments when a MetaQuotes representative expressed that a third party technology provider that we had written about violated the MetaTader license...

Ubzen:
We're going in cycles again lol. You start out talking Tick_Data. When I point-out that mt4 cannot Import Ticks [without 3rd Parties Hacks]. You change the subject to Period_M1 Importing.
No cycles or circles . . . you asked  "what makes you so optimistic it'll happen with mt5?"  I answered.  At the moment we cannot fix the history data,  that is the first step that we need.  Once we have that then using tick data will be an easier proposition,  and an easier proposition for a 3rd party.  Or maybe it won't . . .  if the tick data is created on the fly from the M1 data them it's an altogether harder task to hack the use of tick data.

RaptorUK: At the moment we cannot fix the history data.

Does the history require fixing? Is the m1_data provided now bad?

Reason: