Download MetaTrader 5
To add comments, please log in or register
Interested in MQL5 features? Find them in documentation!
Syphon
Syphon 2013.03.12 09:08 

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anyone knew how to have custom indicators remain on chart after backtesting?

Step on New Rails: Custom Indicators in MQL5
  • Андрей
  • www.mql5.com
I will not list all of the new possibilities and features of the new terminal and language. They are numerous, and some novelties are worth the discussion in a separate article. Also there is no code here, written with object-oriented programming, it is a too serous topic to be simply mentioned in a context as additional advantages for developers. In this article we will consider the indicators, their structure, drawing, types and their programming details, as compared to MQL4. I hope that this article will be useful both for beginners and experienced developers, maybe some of them will find something new.
Alexey Da
Alexey Da 2013.03.12 12:11  
Please explain your question. What do you exactly mean?
Syphon
Syphon 2013.03.12 20:57  
alexvd:
Please explain your question. What do you exactly mean?

I mean normally in the DeInit() function if you include something like this below.

say for instance im using 2 stochastics in my EA ie stocastic_1 and stochastic_2

if i include stochastic_1 in the OnDeinit() function like below, when backtesting is complete, stochastic_1 will not show on the chart because it has been released, however because stochastic_2 was NOT released, stochastic_2 will show on the chart.

My question is, when i have custom indicators in my EA, even though i didn't "release" it, it does not show on my chart after running my EA through the Strategy Tester...how do i get it to show on the chart after testing is complete.

void OnDeinit(const int reason)) {

IndicatorRelease(stochastic_1);   //This will remove or release stochastic_1 from the chart when backtesting is complete in the strategy tester

} 
  • Андрей
  • www.mql5.com
I will not list all of the new possibilities and features of the new terminal and language. They are numerous, and some novelties are worth the discussion in a separate article. Also there is no code here, written with object-oriented programming, it is a too serous topic to be simply mentioned in a context as additional advantages for developers. In this article we will consider the indicators, their structure, drawing, types and their programming details, as compared to MQL4. I hope that this article will be useful both for beginners and experienced developers, maybe some of them will find something new.
graziani
graziani 2013.03.12 21:16  
you can't. it doesn't work.
Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2013.03.12 21:45  
graziani:
you can't. it doesn't work.
If you made a template with your(s) indicator(s) and name it "Tester". Your(s) indicator(s) will be showed on chart at end of testing.
Syphon
Syphon 2013.03.13 10:16  

That sucks. I know you can add templates but then all the positions you have taken will disappear upon loading the template. It just becomes a annoying everytime you do a backtest and you want to analyse your chart.

Thanks to all for your replies.

graziani
graziani 2013.03.13 11:07  
angevoyageur:
If you made a template with your(s) indicator(s) and name it "Tester". Your(s) indicator(s) will be showed on chart at end of testing.

yes but with which parameters?

this is not a solution. 

Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2013.03.13 12:09  
Syphon:

That sucks. I know you can add templates but then all the positions you have taken will disappear upon loading the template. It just becomes a annoying everytime you do a backtest and you want to analyse your chart.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Have you tried what I suggest to you. I don't say you to add a template manually. To be more clear.

1. Made a chart as you want.
  2. Save as a template with the name : Tester.tpl
  3. Run your backtest.
  4. If set on "Auto open chart" or you use "Open chart" on result tab.

You obtain a chart with your template AND your positions (from backtesting). Isn't what you want ?

Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2013.03.13 12:18  
graziani:

yes but with which parameters?

this is not a solution. 

Are you not a bit lazy ? ;-)
graziani
graziani 2013.03.13 15:50  
angevoyageur:
Are you not a bit lazy ? ;-)

no, i am very lazy. ;) 

but this doesn't change the fact that i have to manually copy and change parameters when i am inspecting results of strategy tester for every backtest i do.

which should work automatically. 

/
To add comments, please log in or register