MT4 in LINUX... ROCKS!!! Need help with 2 small glitches though...

1. Arrows and check-marks show up as characters ("u", "a") instead of symbols
2. Can't read mail under "Mailbox" tab (When mail is clicked it opens and says . .<HTML><HTML>)

Other then that... It's smooth and probably 40-50% faster than Windooze... and no viruses... and FREE and on and on :)

I appreciate any help with these 2 glitches so it will be perfect. Thank you.

For number 1, I suspect you need another font installed... Wingdings? Dingbats?

trapix22 wrote:

1. Arrows and check-marks show up as characters ("u", "a") instead of symbols

Excellent I was dual booting with Mandrake for a while, until I went down the MT4 path. What Linux distro are you using?

flexie:
Excellent I was dual booting with Mandrake for a while, until I went down the MT4 path. What Linux distro are you using?

Playing with Ubuntu 7.04 here. I'd been away from linux for a few years, installed the distro du jour to see what is new, and latest status

Using the latest wine, 9.37 (maybe)

You have to copy a couple of dll to the .wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory mfc42.dll, and maybe mfc40.dll

Help doesn't work... might need to install a the reader for the .chm files (??)

Metaeditor works. When you run it wine decides it needs to install gecko (for html). .. that might fix #2 item above

the navigator and market watch windows don't resize or dock with the chart window

I haven't gotten my DLL's to work yet (written using Microsoft Visual C++ Express --- the MSFT run-time libraries are a problem)

the arrows don't work as it seems to pick up the wrong font, haven't been able to figure it out

Haven't tried strategy tester or live trading

----------
Basically, it works, but is a little rough around the edges

----------

As for dual booting, I always put linux on a separate disk, and use BIOS setting to decide which to boot -- windows disk or linux disk. It
seems safer that way.

FYI.
1. To show arrows and other symbols, you have to install

wingding.ttf

Simply copy that file to your windows' font folder. Usually it is

~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/

2. To use MT4 using wine, it doesn't matter which Linux distro you are using, however it's better using the latest wine package.

Help works if you install xchm.
apt-get install xchm

compiler works, but online help and autocomplete doesn't work.

changing EA settings with F2 or loading .set files.

Ummmm... Did I mention that LINUX ROCKS!!!...

I have MT4 working perfectly in LINUX now. (Thank you FIREFLIES that solved the arrows... now I'm trying to create my own symbols)

All indicators work, EAs work, MetaEditor is perfect (I've written numerous scripts for other linux users and no one has had a single problem), etc... so...

If anyone is still having trouble... post here.

I've tried following:

Pendrivelinux
DSL (DamnSmallLinux)
Knoppix
Debian (Sarge)
Debian (Etch)
(K) and Ubuntu (Edgy - 6.10)
(K) and Ubuntu (Feisty - 7.04)

ALL of them work perfectly... It's not the distro (at least not for me)... It's the "Wine" and "Winetools" install that makes the difference. (I have step-by-step if anyone needs it)

I'm running MT4 on Mac successfully (using CrossOver currently). However, I can't figure out how to edit color and line parameters on custom indicators (works fine on built-in indies). The F2 trick daraknor works on text inputs but not the other data types, at least on Mac. Are your Linux installs handling color/line param edits okay on custom indies? Anyone have any clues?

I make most of my edits in source code or .set files, and only do quick changes with F2. Part of the reason is that I want the configuration to be stored in files accessible to me, not just inside the MT4 internal config files.

It looks like an update to 0.9.36 caused some issues with the MetaEditor display again. (Distro version vs WineHQ version)

trapix22: are you able to backtest? if so please post hints or step by step to get backtest working.

if you get a chance Trapix, could you check on Mandrake? Thank you.

daraknor:
I make most of my edits in source code or .set files, and only do quick changes with F2. Part of the reason is that I want the configuration to be stored in files accessible to me, not just inside the MT4 internal config files.

It looks like an update to 0.9.36 caused some issues with the MetaEditor display again. (Distro version vs WineHQ version)

trapix22: are you able to backtest? if so please post hints or step by step to get backtest working.
Yes... I can backtest, no problem. What can't you do?

1. Open "Strategy tester"
2. In "Expert Advisor" box: select "MACD sample" (you should have it when you install MT4)
3. "Symbol" box: select "EURUSD"
4. "Period" box: H1
5. "Model" box: "Open prices only"
6. Click "Start" on bottom-right

* leave all the buttons on right alone for now... Just test to see if it works.

You should then have Settings / Results / Graph / Report / Journal tabs on bottom showing results. THIS IS JUST TO TEST IT and see if it works. If not... what specifically happened or what's missing?
Reason: