Questions about VPS configuration

I've rented a VPS server and I've used it for a week now. It works great, but I have few questions as there are some things that I don't understand.

I've watched the videos here: https://www.mql5.com/en/vps/manage-forex-vps

1. I've opened 2 charts, set my EAs on them and synchronized with the server. When I synchronize the chart shows that my expert adviser is deactivated? Is it deactivated on my machine only or is it also deactivated on the server as well? I always went to the settings and clicked on "allow automated trading", but according to the videos the VPS are always allowed to automatically trade? So which one is it?

2. Once synchronized what happens when I close the charts? Are they also closed on the server? Or is the server going to still trade on the previously synchronized charts? I accidentally closed the charts that I had configured for the VPS and now I'm wondering if there is an easy way to reopen them. And the main question is  - is the server trading on them or not. If it is, then is there a way to see what charts are open on the server?

3. Maybe not related to the VPS, but still something that I don't understand. When I create a new chart an EA is attached to it (it shown on the right top corner of the chart). Is there a way to control which EA gets attached to a new chart?

Sorry if my questions are obvious. Will be glad if someone can point me to some docs on those things.

Thanks in advance!

Virtual hosting in MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5: How it works
Virtual hosting in MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5: How it works
  • www.mql5.com
The virtual hosting service allows creating a copy of your trading platform on a remote server. Run your trading robots and copy deals of professional signal providers on a virtual platform 24 hours a day.

Hi compojoom,

When I used VPS from Metatrader so I did not have any issue. I used it for Brainwashing EA trading and it was very understandable about how to configure and what to do (as I remember - all EAs attached to the chart are already in autotrading mode in VPS - automating in VPS by default).

I think - you need to read this small article about:

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

How to Start with Metatrader 5

Sergey Golubev, 2014.11.07 14:46

Why Virtual Hosting On The MetaTrader 4 And MetaTrader 5 Is Better Than Usual VPS

Renting a virtual server right from the MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5 terminals is the optimal way to ensure uninterrupted work of your trading robots and Signal subscriptions. Essentially, it is an analogue of a VPS though it is better and more suitable for addressing needs and challenges that a trader comes across. The server can be rented straight from your MetaTrader. It takes only a couple mouse clicks for Experts Advisors, indicators, scripts together with Signal subscriptions and settings to be transferred to the virtual server. The Virtual Hosting Cloud network was developed specially for MetaTrader and has all the advantages of a native solution.

Certainly, there are alternatives to virtual hosting but a closer look reveals that they do not compete. The first thing that comes to mind is using a home computer as a budget option. It could work, however a stable internet connection and uninterrupted power supply are not guaranteed. A VPS can be rented from a suitable provider found on the internet. That could be feasible but it implies a manual search for a server having minimum latency with the required Forex-broker's. Such a puzzle does not suit everyone.

Hey Sergey!

Thanks for the reply. I think that the article you mentioned above has the answer to my question.

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/994

Migration is performed during each synchronization of the client terminal. Synchronization is always a one-direction process - the client terminal's environment is moved to the virtual terminal but never vice versa. The virtual terminal status can be monitored via requesting the terminal's and Expert Advisors' logs as well as virtual server's monitoring data.

Okay, so once I perform the synchronization, it no longer matters what I do on my client. And what I shouldn't do is enable automated trading :D

As far I understand this -> the migration moves the charts and EAs to the server (automated trading there is always enabled) and then it turns off automated trading on my client. This way only the VPS will do the trading and I won't have double trades.

What I always did after a migration was enable the automated trading in my client, which is obviously stupid as I now understand.

The terminal shows this:

2016.06.09 00:46:50.534    'xxxx': 2 charts, 2 EAs, 0 custom indicators, signal disabled, last known ping to xxx is 1.41 ms

So obviously on the server we have 2 charts, 2 EAs.

2EAs - is there a way to find the names of those EAs? Actually I should have just 1 EA on the server that is trading on the 2 charts. But what happens is - my EA is trading only on one chart and it is missing the trading opportunities on the other. When I test the EA on both charts with the strategy tester it works as expected. Any ideas how to find out what's going on there?

How to Prepare a Trading Account for Migration to Virtual Hosting
How to Prepare a Trading Account for Migration to Virtual Hosting
  • MetaQuotes Software Corp.
  • www.mql5.com
MetaTrader client terminal is perfect for automating trading strategies. It has all tools necessary for trading robot developers ‒ powerful C++ based MQL4/MQL5 programming language, convenient MetaEditor development environment and multi-threaded strategy tester that supports distributed computing in MQL5 Cloud Network. In this article, you will find out how to move your client terminal to the virtual environment with all custom elements.

You mean: 2 EAs (same ones) attached to 2 charts, or one EA attached to one chart only for 2 pairs trading?

Because same EA attached to two charts = 2 EAs ...

It should be same as in your MT4 for example ...

------------

You know ... when I decided to use this VPS (when/before I used it) - I did not read anything because it was very understandable about what to do and HowTo for example ...

I have written my own EA.

I've launched it on GER30 with one set of parameters and on EURUSD with another set of parameters.

So, in this case for the VPS this are 2EAs?

I do not know sorry ... as I remember - I attached one Brainwashing EA to 4 charts each with same setting except magic number ... and it was synchronized and traded with no problem.
I do not remember how many EAs were counted by VPS in this case (1 or 4) ...

I've been using the system for some more days now and I wonder about the following. 

I'm developing my EA and it happens that I close the charts that I already have synced with the server. If I have synced 5 charts and I want to sync the new version of my EA, I'll have to again open the 5 charts in my client, configure the EA again for each chart and then do the sync.

Is there a way to open the charts that are on the server on my client and then do the necessary changes and sync?  

And also - my EA is exporting some data about the trades to a CSV file. How can I see this csv file on the server? If I look at the Journal I only see the log, but there is no trace of my .csv file?
Reason: