MQl5 Cloud Network Question

Hello,

I have installed the Metatrader 5 Strategy Tester Agent on my machine and configured it according to the instructions at (https://cloud.mql5.com/en/download), but for whatever reason I do not see any agents listed on my MQL5 profile. There does not seem to be any evidence that jobs are being run, either. 

Could the problem be in specifying my account name? Am I supposed to list my actual name as opposed to my profile name, "a.w"?

Cheers,

Alex 

Download MQL5 Strategy Tester Agent Installer to Join MQL5 Cloud Network Distributed Computing System
Download MQL5 Strategy Tester Agent Installer to Join MQL5 Cloud Network Distributed Computing System
  • cloud.mql5.com
Download MQL5 Strategy Tester Agent installer to join MQL5 Cloud Network distributed computing system.

Frequently Asked Questions Concerning the Distributed Computing MQL5 Cloud Network
Frequently Asked Questions Concerning the Distributed Computing MQL5 Cloud Network
  • cloud.mql5.com
Frequently asked questions concerning MetaTester 5 Agents Manager - MQL5 Cloud Network

Hi Rosh, 

I understand that jobs need to be run in order for the agent list to populate, but thought (perhaps erroneously) that this would have been almost immediate. Does it take long to start receiving work? I have had my machine running the tester agent for three days but still have yet to see any evidence that it is running any jobs. Maybe it is a utilization issue? I had also assumed almost 100% usage but could be mistaken.

Regards,

Alex 

a.w:

Hi Rosh, 

I understand that jobs need to be run in order for the agent list to populate, but thought (perhaps erroneously) that this would have been almost immediate. Does it take long to start receiving work? I have had my machine running the tester agent for three days but still have yet to see any evidence that it is running any jobs. Maybe it is a utilization issue? I had also assumed almost 100% usage but could be mistaken.

Regards,

Alex 

Much has been written about the wonderful benefits of using the MQL Cloud Network (MCN). However, very little has been written about THE COST to developers to use it.  That's what they consistently "forget" to tell you in the mql5.com articles and on http://cloud.mql5.com.  In order for you to be paid for sharing your CPU, the person using it has to pay.  The mql5.com articles/http://cloud.mql5.com website leaves you with the impression that everyone is using MCN to speed up optimizations by leaps and bounds, the reality is a different story.

As you are seeing right now, assuming you have it setup correctly, utilization is quite low.  Utilization will be much closer to 0% than 100% from what I've seen during 2012.  I've got 22 cores available 24/7, and it's averaging about $0.20/day ths month.  Here we are in the final few weeks of preparation for ATC 2012 and with ~2,500 people registered, one would think there would be a lot of optimizations being done.  There probably are a lot of optimizations being done, but very few are being done over the MCN, and I'm guessing it is because of the cost.

Utilization could also depend on where you live.  Developers can pick/choose which regions to look for shared resources.  I'm in the USA and if I'm going to use the MCN, I'll disable all the regions except the "MQL5 Cloud USA" so I get the best performance and minimize the cost.

btw, I know when MCN is being used because my PC/laptop fans start cranking.  The fans have been pretty quiet lately.  Of course, you can also look at CPU utilization on the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.  There should be one "metatester64.exe" per core/thread (assuming 64-bit processor).

Distributed Computing in the MQL5 Cloud Network
Distributed Computing in the MQL5 Cloud Network
  • cloud.mql5.com
Connect to the MQL5 Cloud Network (Cloud Computing) and earn extra income around the clock — there is much work for you computer!

dlewisfl:

Much has been written about the wonderful benefits of using the MQL Cloud Network (MCN). However, very little has been written about THE COST to developers to use it.  That's what they consistently "forget" to tell you in the mql5.com articles and on http://cloud.mql5.com.  In order for you to be paid for sharing your CPU, the person using it has to pay.  The mql5.com articles/http://cloud.mql5.com website leaves you with the impression that everyone is using MCN to speed up optimizations by leaps and bounds, the reality is a different story.

As you are seeing right now, assuming you have it setup correctly, utilization is quite low.  Utilization will be much closer to 0% than 100% from what I've seen during 2012.  I've got 22 cores available 24/7, and it's averaging about $0.20/day ths month.  Here we are in the final few weeks of preparation for ATC 2012 and with ~2,500 people registered, one would think there would be a lot of optimizations being done.  There probably are a lot of optimizations being done, but very few are being done over the MCN, and I'm guessing it is because of the cost.

Utilization could also depend on where you live.  Developers can pick/choose which regions to look for shared resources.  I'm in the USA and if I'm going to use the MCN, I'll disable all the regions except the "MQL5 Cloud USA" so I get the best performance and minimize the cost.

btw, I know when MCN is being used because my PC/laptop fans start cranking.  The fans have been pretty quiet lately.  Of course, you can also look at CPU utilization on the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.  There should be one "metatester64.exe" per core/thread (assuming 64-bit processor).

Very useful information. Thanks for that.

One more question in this regard if you don't mind :)

In the services tab I see traffic In/Out column has increasing readings, cloud column showing connected and state column shows running ... but in my agents tab in MQL5 community all PR, Passes and profit columns are showing zeros.

So, how come there's traffic and no return? I checked the "sell computing resources ...." box in MQL5 cloud network tab in the tester.

Best regards. 

Reason: