How do I add a line or object to a chart in MT4 and not have it appear on every other chart?

Hello everyone

I'm relatively new to MT4 but I really like the platform.

I have started to notice that if I add a line to a chart, it's also appearing on other charts at the same level.

For example, I just added a line at 0.863459 on NZDCAD and it also appears on AUDCAD at the same level.

I've heard that you can add the currency (NZDCAD) to the properties of the line in the description field but this isn't working for me so maybe I've got that wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm sure it must be possible.

Thanks in advance.

Slinky

SlinkyT:

Hello everyone

I'm relatively new to MT4 but I really like the platform.

I have started to notice that if I add a line to a chart, it's also appearing on other charts at the same level.

For example, I just added a line at 0.863459 on NZDCAD and it also appears on AUDCAD at the same level.

I've heard that you can add the currency (NZDCAD) to the properties of the line in the description field but this isn't working for me so maybe I've got that wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm sure it must be possible.

Thanks in advance.

Slinky

If you are talking about the bid/ask lines, those being on all your charts is not a bad thing.  And you can set your TP to either show them or not.

If you mean indicator lines, I tried adding an indicator line to one of my active charts, and it only showed on that one chart, none of the others.  I also used the "insert line" available on the top menu bar with the same result.  I am not able to recreate your error.

JD4:

If you are talking about the bid/ask lines, those being on all your charts is not a bad thing.  And you can set your TP to either show them or not.

If you mean indicator lines, I tried adding an indicator line to one of my active charts, and it only showed on that one chart, none of the others.  I also used the "insert line" available on the top menu bar with the same result.  I am not able to recreate your error.

Hello JD4

Thank you so much for the reply.

I've done some more testing - if I don't add anything in the description field then the line (Insert > Lines > Horizontal Line) disappears if I switch to another currency and then back again. But if I add any text at all to the description field in the Horizontal Line Properties by double-clicking the line and right click etc. then the line is still there when I come back to the chart - only problem seems to be that it's on all charts at the same level. Not just the one I was adding it to. You only notice it when the two currency pairs have similar number ranges like NZDCAD and AUDCAD. I'm just adding support and resistance and entry/stop lines to the charts etc.

If you insert a line and add some text to the description field, does it also appear on any other chart in the same way?

Thanks once again.

Best wishes.

TBH, I had forgotten about them having to possibly be at the same price level.  I forgot to check on that.  Stupid mistake on my part.  I am going back to check again, and let you know what I find.

Edit:  Using your 2 specific pairs you listed, I created a horizontal line on NZDCADpro H1 chart, at price line 0.86389.  I then went to the same time chart on AUDCADpro.  I had to adjust the time frame on the AUD chart to show the price range that the bar is in on the other chart.  However, there is no bar on the AUDCAD chart at the price level 0.86389.  Closest regular division line I have at the fixed price spacing on the second chart is 0.85985.

Edit:  One thing I just thought of, do you have the most up to date build?  That is no guarantee that errors will not happen, but it might help in this case.

Reason: