How reliable is backtesting??

Can someone point me to some topics and articles on how reliable backtesting is????

Thank you

Hello there,

Backtesting is not reliable, in my personal opinion, I have 2 pcs on 1 there is metatrader downloaded data and on the other pc, i have downloaded alpari data, my ea is based on purely mathamatical formulations and nothing to do with the built in functions of metatrader. but on metatrader terminal the chart is going sky high and on alpari terminal it is going rock bottom. the ea is same.

What I personally suggest is that rely on forward testing only, if you have any logic in mine, apply it by making several variants of your ea and installing metatrader several times on different directories and checking all the ea's on all metatraders at a single point of time.

Here I also recommend you all to develop EA on mathamatical formulations only, if you average the results on bars behind that will be the best EA. If you run after the bar high low time values etc individually, you are likely to go in crisis very high.

I do not know how did you understand this valuable information, but it is the fact.

Regards

A good(robust) strategy should not depend on 2-3-pip fluctuations of price.

it may depend on the EA, or as pointed out if it relies on small pip differences that may differ between brokers, or if it relies on tick data. it is most reliable to go by completed bars and not by ticks, then there is no ambiguity in data.

i always go onto to chart and visually inspect where trades were taken, and if this is according to my system or not. in my experience, whenever it did not do what i expected, it had always has been my flawed logic that i needed to correct, and then the results were fine.

A good(robust) strategy should not depend on 2-3-pip fluctuations of price.

This is true. But what did you tink of, when you wrote 2-3 pips?
Because the generated ticks are far worse than occasional 2-3 pips difference...
Reason: