mt5 location of user files has moved.

I discovered today that my mt5 folder location has changed to the programs files folder on windows. The old files are still at the usual location, but mt5 is not using them anymore -- nor can i load up the eas and indicators due to that normal file and folder location being changed.

Note that I am an expert computer user, so I ask this: is there a suffex to the terminal.exe command to change the folder back to its original hash-like folder? or a ini file that i can edit or delete to make mt5 to rediscover that origianl folder(s)? Or do i have no choice but to resinall a new instance of mt5 -- and move my files to the new platform?

PS. only reason i have not already installed a new instance, is because I have several backtests on on that original instance of mt5, that I want to resume testing with.

Revo Trades:

The simplest solution: Move the content of that unused hash folder (copy/paste) to its new location (new hash folder).

At least of the folders you are interested in such as Experts, Indicators, etc.

You will know what your new correct hash folder is by doing Crtl+Shift+D in the terminal.

Miguel Angel Vico Alba #:

The simplest solution: Move the content of that unused hash folder (copy/paste) to its new location (new hash folder).

You will know what your new correct hash folder is by doing Crtl+Shift+D in the terminal.

will do that if no one else has a solution that might have the result of re enabling all of the testing results from the strategy tester.

Thanks.

Miguel Angel Vico Alba #:

That not only worked -- but i copied all the folders including the Tester folder and all is as it was before the user folder was changed. When i opened mt5 the template on the chart was as I had done after the user folder had changed, but my saved template which i had copied over from the original user folder was there and after closing that chart and opening new chart, my old template had been applied to the new chart, just as i wanted. The strategy tester results were all under their correct tabs as they were, TOO!

But i can see a potential issue here: winblows might detect the saving or changing of files in the current location and forget any changes upon a restart or shutdown. But we shall see.

As for the cause of the issue. I changed the TrustedInstaller permissions to include my current profile on WindowsApps folder a couple days ago. I can only assume that this caused the current problem.

Revo Trades:

I discovered today that my mt5 folder location has changed to the programs files folder on windows. The old files are still at the usual location, but mt5 is not using them anymore -- nor can i load up the eas and indicators due to that normal file and folder location being changed.

Note that I am an expert computer user, so I ask this: is there a suffex to the terminal.exe command to change the folder back to its original hash-like folder? or a ini file that i can edit or delete to make mt5 to rediscover that origianl folder(s)? Or do i have no choice but to resinall a new instance of mt5 -- and move my files to the new platform?

PS. only reason i have not already installed a new instance, is because I have several backtests on on that original instance of mt5, that I want to resume testing with.

so its changed only for you, maybe you done something? because I can still see there is nothing under Programs folder in windows and its using same folder as before in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\

Arpit T #:

so its changed only for you, maybe you done something? because I can still see there is nothing under Programs folder in windows and its using same folder as before in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\

I did say "my mt5 folder". I did not say "the mt5 folder". And please see my 2X responses that you seemed to have not read thru before posting.

As usual, metaquotes made changes as they like ignoring backward compatibility and without warning.

You need to use /portable flag as argument  to terminal64.exe

I simply create a shortcut under windows and add the /portable flag there.

Good luck.

Soewono Effendi #:
As usual, metaquotes made changes as they like ignoring backward compatibility and without warning.

You need to use /portable flag as argument  to terminal64.exe

I simply create a shortcut under windows and add the /portable flag there.

Good luck.

yes, i know of the /portable argument/suffex, but my issue was that it had turned into a portable version, albeit it is in the Program Files folder. I wanted to turn it back into the regular installation folder.

update: copying all files into the new folder worked, and all my backtests are back in the tabs and all mt5 settings are as i like them just by copying ALL files from the original hash folder. I also found that ticks or history was synchronised again, however, the data wasnt re downloaded, which was a plus as it meant i didnt need to download 8gb of data all over again.

And i have restarted my puter after changing some lines of code in my eas and indicators, the changes were still there after several restarts and winblows shut downs.

But i will delete the history and test data from their folders to force a re download of all the data and history -- just in case some of it has gotten corrupted when whatever caused this issue, happened.

Reason: