In forex, what is the difference between a pip and a point?

I know that the value of one point differs between different currency pairs, but generally speaking,  is 1 pip the equivalent of 10 points?

The expanation is on this post and on the post as an example,
and this one is for Gold and Silver) -
How to Start with Metatrader 5 - How to prepare MT4 for backtesting/trading with some pair: Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading
How to Start with Metatrader 5 - How to prepare MT4 for backtesting/trading with some pair: Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading
  • www.mql5.com
This article will help to create the calculator of signals  — a great assistant for those who wish to subscribe to signals. The high amount of leverage available in forex trading is a benefit and a curse. Hopefully this helps everyone out

For me in short: point is what I (my EA) get from the broker, pip only verbally used, so I use it (and feel free) to calculate 1 pip as an amount of points that has the value of ~10.0$ to make different assets comparable on a monetary base.

PIP, Point, or Tick are all different in general.
          Ticks, PIPs or points in the GUI. Make up your mind. - MQL4 programming forum #1 (2014)

Thanks for the replies. I understood this "point" term, and I guess a pip is a broker-specific term then and people tend to use it when describing points (but the word pip being more popular to use with forex)

phade # I guess a pip is a broker-specific term then

No! It is a FX symbol specific term. JPY pairs 0.01, else 0.0001.

phade #:
Thanks for the replies. I understood this "point" term, and I guess a pip is a broker-specific term then and people tend to use it when describing points (but the word pip being more popular to use with forex)

I was once told that previously there were only pips (in Forex 4 digits) but this was a too big step for the banks so they decided to switch to points (in Forex 5 digits).  This makes it easier for them to practise arbitrage operations with a quite secure profit: small quote difference but big money provides secure profits.

So point is given by the broker (by their liquidity provider) and pip has become technically obsolet but in general it has been 10 times a point - formerly.

phade:
I know that the value of one point differs between different currency pairs, but generally speaking,  is 1 pip the equivalent of 10 points?
Here, for completeness, the wiki article:

Reason: