How to enter special character in the EA input field.

Hi,
I'm using EA which allows selecting trading symbols by entering their names in the input field of the parameter window.
My broker on each symbol has a suffix of (£). When I'm trying to enter the name of the symbol in the input field, after saving it returns i.e EURUSD(? instead of EURUSD(£).
It completely prevents EA from working and I'm wondering if there is any workaround for the issue for example using ASCII coding?

This is not my EA and I don't have an access to the source code.

Thanks for help!

Copy £ and paste it?

Sorry I meant you can enter it but not save it. When you save it and reopen the parameter window it shows ? instead of £

Either contact the programmer of the EA or change the broker.

semirek1 #:
Sorry I meant you can enter it but not save it. When you save it and reopen the parameter window it shows ? instead of £

It has nothing to do with the broker, nor can the programmer change this. - This is a limitation within MT, and has to do with the character encoding. - We as developers have no influence on the input dialog in such way.

I dont know if changing the encoding of the .set-file would help.

semirek1:

Hi,
I'm using EA which allows selecting trading symbols by entering their names in the input field of the parameter window.
My broker on each symbol has a suffix of (£). When I'm trying to enter the name of the symbol in the input field, after saving it returns i.e EURUSD(? instead of EURUSD(£).
It completely prevents EA from working and I'm wondering if there is any workaround for the issue for example using ASCII coding?

This is not my EA and I don't have an access to the source code.

Thanks for help!

This is unclear. Is it MT5, right ?

I just tried to use " £ ", to save and restore input parameters and there is no problem.

It's also not clear why it "completely prevents EA from working" ?

Please post more details, a screenshot or log.

Alain Verleyen #:

This is unclear. Is it MT5, right ?

I just tried to use " £ ", to save and restore input parameters and there is no problem.

It's also not clear why it "completely prevents EA from working" ?

Please post more details, a screenshot or log.

I have the same problem, in MT4, Unicode issue ? Don't know how to do

Hi

This is the limitation of the platform and character encoding – you need to contact the programmer to use some different approach while trading on such pairs. Simply you can only trade on those kind of pairs automatically if you apply the EA on their chart – and when you detect that there is a pair with such suffix you can use NULL instead of Symbol() within the functions you use. But you won’t be able to trade from different charts… Or find yourself a different broker.

Best Regards

Reason: