Price on the chart different than price in Terminal window ??

Hi,

since nobody can tell me how can insert a screenshot I have to describe again ... how can it be that I see a GBPJPY price of 198.85 on my chart and the price in the terminal window shows 198.93 ?

No need to mention that my S/L at 198.95 was taken out when the price showed 198.87 in the chart....

After that I got disconnected as well ...

tomkit66,

I'd suggest this is the spread difference and would further suggest you also display both Bid and Ask price lines.

Including the Ask line, Charts > Properties > Common Tab and tick the 'Show Ask Line' box.

Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply. I am not talking about the price shown in the terminal which indicates where you actually bought (including the spread), I mean the number on the right side in the terminal window which is equal to the price on the chart. That´s the reason why my S/L got hit even the price on the chart was 7 pips away but the wrong number in the terminal triggered the S/L.

Do I need webspace to attach a picture here? I would have loved to post another screen shot but connection was lost just a minute ago again. Don´t know on what servers the Demo runs...very annoying..

Regards
Tom

Yes Tom, I know what you're talking about.
Did you at least try my suggestion ?

Martin

Tom,
It sounds like you had opened a sell open GBPJPY. The GBPJPY spread on the Metatrader demo is 8 pips. The price shown on the chart is the Bid price. The price shown in the terminal is the closing price. The closing price on a short trade is the Ask. So if the chart (Bid) showed 198.85, then the closing price of your sell (Ask) was 198.85+0.08, or 198.93.

What Martin is saying is that you can choose to display the Ask price as well as the Bid price on the chart. That way you won't run into this confusion again. Just remember that you close a Buy at the Bid and a Sell at the Ask.

Regards,
Loren

Martin & Loren,

Thanks. I tried, and of course both of you had been right. I´ve read about that on the Alpari site aminute ago as well...sorry being kind of stuborn. What really confused me was that I didn´t know about the huge spread of the GBPJPY since I am new to Forex and just testing various platforms right now.

Since both of you use MetaTrader - what Broker are you using? Since the Forex is not regulated it seems you have to be even more careful than trading Futures.

Thanks in advance
Tom
Reason: