straegy tester - page 2

Stevenson,

Not currently available though the MetaQuotes guys suggest it's in final testing. Fingers crossed that it's out soon though given they have also given a release date of July 1st.

Martin

Martin Cooney, Thank you.

Hi Hdb,

Thanks for your responses above - it's always nice to get some opinions from someone who has "been there before". I've been trying to develop trading systems for about 1 year but have yet to find one that is as profitable as the back-testing will have you believe - even when test trading and realtime trading on the first tick of a new bar. The best I seem to be able to do is break even.... Is there anyone out there who has developed automated systems that are actually profitable without running undue risk? If so, are you using some sort of fancy indicator that no one else uses or are you using one or a combination of "standard" indicators with very tight risk control?

Hello Coen,

It is well known that as soon as a winning system becomes known, it works less and less well... either because the conditions change, because too many people using the system make it fail, because it may become more profitable to make it fail - if u know when people are buying and their stop loss, its possible for big players to move the market just to your stop loss.

That is why most systems published on the net (all those super methods and call services and gurus) dont work.. they may have at one stage, but their authors found it more profitable to sell the system after a while! Wonder why?

Just keep on trying, it cetainly is possible. Do a lot of research on the net, in forums. Find people who seem credible and may have a good system (automated or not) and then test it.
Even if u cant automate it but it is winning, thats ok.. when u are rich u can pay someone to make your trades..lol

At the moment, I am looking at a basket of currencies for carry trading (u buy and keep high interest bearing currency pairs and hedge with lower or small negative interest currencies) and the 'grid' type systems (u buy every x pips up or down and sell with a TP close to x).

Both give steady gains but I would not suggest it for the feint of heart.. the drawdown can be massive.

One way I know of taking low risk is to have tight stops - which also means, imho, small profits. i.e. lots of small trades.

Good hunting.

ps let us know if u find one..lol

Hi Hdb,

Thanks again for your comments - much appreciated!
Reason: