Ryzen 9 7950x or intel i9 13900k for MT5 optimisation?

Looking to build good backtesting (optimisation) pc.
- whats better for backtesting (optimisation) on MT5, ryzen 9 7950x or intel i9 13900k
My understanding is that AMD does better on the multicore but Intel beats it on single core processing.
Also will 64gb ram be enough or should I splash put on 128gb ram?
Im not planning to put a gpu in the machine as my understanding is gpu has no significant impact on testing speed.

PS: I know MT5 offers the virtual server thats super quick but with the amount of tests I run in the long term my own pc will work out cheaper.

Kaizen1502:
- whats better for backtesting (optimisation) on MT5, ryzen 9 7950x or intel i9 13900k
My understanding is that AMD does better on the multicore but Intel beats it on single core processing.
Im not planning to put a gpu in the machine as my understanding is gpu has no significant impact on testing speed.

PS: I know MT5 offers the virtual server thats super quick but with the amount of tests I run in the long term my own pc will work out cheaper.

Both the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X and the Intel Core i9-11900K are powerful processors that can handle the demands of MT5 (MetaTrader 5), a trading platform that requires a lot of computational power. However, it's important to consider other factors in addition to raw processing power when choosing a processor for MT5 optimization.

One key difference between these two processors is the number of cores and threads they have. The Ryzen 9 7950X has 16 cores and 32 threads, while the Core i9-11900K has 8 cores and 16 threads. This means that the Ryzen 9 7950X has more cores and threads available to handle multitasking and heavy workloads, which could make it a better choice for MT5 optimization if you are running multiple applications or processes at the same time.

Another factor to consider is the clock speed of the processor. The Core i9-11900K has a higher base clock speed of 3.5 GHz, compared to the 3.4 GHz of the Ryzen 9 7950X. This means that the Core i9-11900K may have a slightly higher single-threaded performance, but the Ryzen 9 7950X has the advantage of more cores and threads, which can make up for the difference in clock speed in certain workloads.

Ultimately, the best processor for MT5 optimization will depend on your specific needs and budget. If you need a processor with a lot of cores and threads for multitasking and running multiple applications at once, the Ryzen 9 7950X may be a good choice. On the other hand, if you are mainly concerned with single-threaded performance and can't afford the higher price of the Ryzen 9 7950X, the Core i9-11900K could be a good alternative.

Before buying a machine specific with optimisations in mind, consider improving your EA strategy instead so that it is less dependent on optimisations.

I have been coding EAs and trading in real life for several years, and I only did serious optimisations at the very beginning due to not knowing better.

Nowadays, I only do simple optimisations during the initial stages of research and development tests, never for serious EAs I trade with.

It is much better to design and develop strategies that automatically adjust and adapt to conditions, and the most important part of the strategy is risk and money management that does not require optimisations at all.

I know it is sometimes difficult to believe the simple truths of more experienced coders/traders when, as a newbie you are filled with hopes and dreams of a golden future, but please take my words seriously.

Trading is a simple operation of buy or sell, but making profit consistently is very difficult and requires a lot of effort, commitment, and dedication.

If you put most of that effort into optimisations, you will lose out. Instead, put that effort into gaining more experience and knowledge about the markets, your coding, your strategies, etc.

The more you understand and know, the better you will code and trade, with insight and skill, and less based on “brute force” optimisations.

@Enrique Enguix #: while the Core i9-11900K has 8 cores and 16 threads. 

Correction: (not 11900K). The i9 13900K has (16 + 8) cores and 32 threads — Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor (36M Cache, up to 5.80 GHz) - Product Specifications | Intel

Fernando Carreiro #:

Correction: The i9 13900 khas (16 + 8) cores and 32 threads — Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor (36M Cache, up to 5.80 GHz) - Product Specifications | Intel

Yeah was wondering if you were referring to the i9 13900k. 
So the intel has 24 cores (16 general
Cores and 8 performance cores) and 32 threads, im wondering if those additional 8 core will have a significant impact on optimisation speed vs the 16 full cores of AMD with its 32 threads (same as intel

If MT5 strategy tester focuses on threads then I rather go with AMD, but if the focus is just core the intel might be better… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Fernando Carreiro #:

Before buying a machine specific with optimisations in mind, consider improving your EA strategy instead so that it is less dependent on optimisations.

I have been coding EAs and trading in real life for several years, and I only did serious optimisations at the very beginning due to not knowing better.

Nowadays, I only do simple optimisations during the initial stages of research and development tests, never for serious EAs I trade with.

It is much better to design and develop strategies that automatically adjust and adapt to conditions, and the most important part of the strategy is risk and money management that does not require optimisations at all.

I know it is sometimes difficult to believe the simple truths of more experienced coders/traders when, as a newbie you are filled with hopes and dreams of a golden future, but please take my words seriously.

Trading is a simple operation of buy or sell, but making profit consistently is very difficult and requires a lot of effort, commitment, and dedication.

If you put most of that effort into optimisations, you will lose out. Instead, put that effort into gaining more experience and knowledge about the markets, your coding, your strategies, etc.

The more you understand and know, the better you will code and trade, with insight and skill, and less based on “brute force” optimisations.

That would be an interesting read (or topic ,or article).

@Lorentzos Roussos #: That would be an interesting read (or topic ,or article).

There are already several articles about that. It is just the most coders/traders don't pay much attention to them because it requires people to change their mindset.

For most, it's just easier to focus on optimisations, instead of changing their ideas, strategies and their code.

All good points about optimisation, and I have been wondering the same thing about which processor.

However, to experiment with machine learning and neural networks does require brute force, even if a resulting EA might not.

Kaizen1502:

So which one have you choosed and could you tell how is the performance if you have already purchased

Enrique Enguix #:

Both the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X and the Intel Core i9-11900K are powerful processors that can handle the demands of MT5 (MetaTrader 5), a trading platform that requires a lot of computational power. However, it's important to consider other factors in addition to raw processing power when choosing a processor for MT5 optimization.

One key difference between these two processors is the number of cores and threads they have. The Ryzen 9 7950X has 16 cores and 32 threads, while the Core i9-11900K has 8 cores and 16 threads. This means that the Ryzen 9 7950X has more cores and threads available to handle multitasking and heavy workloads, which could make it a better choice for MT5 optimization if you are running multiple applications or processes at the same time.

Another factor to consider is the clock speed of the processor. The Core i9-11900K has a higher base clock speed of 3.5 GHz, compared to the 3.4 GHz of the Ryzen 9 7950X. This means that the Core i9-11900K may have a slightly higher single-threaded performance, but the Ryzen 9 7950X has the advantage of more cores and threads, which can make up for the difference in clock speed in certain workloads.

Ultimately, the best processor for MT5 optimization will depend on your specific needs and budget. If you need a processor with a lot of cores and threads for multitasking and running multiple applications at once, the Ryzen 9 7950X may be a good choice. On the other hand, if you are mainly concerned with single-threaded performance and can't afford the higher price of the Ryzen 9 7950X, the Core i9-11900K could be a good alternative.

Thanks Mate! Very helpful! I went with the 5900x in the end, much cheaper and I dont have to build a whole new system. It gets through optimisation pretty quick so all happy! 👍🏻

Kaizen1502 #:
went with the 5900x in the end, much cheaper and I dont have to build a whole new system. It gets through optimisation pretty quick so all happy! 👍🏻

My AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 4.9Ghz 16-Core Processor compared to my friends Intel Core i9-12900K 5.2Ghz 16-Core  Processor is quite embarrassing. His intel is significantly faster in running optimizations. I am sad. 

Reason: