Issues with Backtest outcome

Hi,

I Back-tested my EA, took 2 days. When the results came out, I selected one of the Optimization test outputs, entered the input values into strategy tester and tested it. It worked. 

I restarted MT4, using the same inputs, same chart, same time frame and intervals - I get quite a different result. I try using other output values from my back-test results and none of them give me the input indicated in the Optimization output. 

Please assist :(

note: I went into the /tester/history folder and tried to open the .fxt file which seemed to have been the outcome of the test, but metaeditor simply displays the letter 'nu' after opening it. The file size is 250MB. 

Cheers,

John 

jfasheyi:

Hi,

I Back-tested my EA, took 2 days. When the results came out, I selected one of the Optimization test outputs, entered the input values into strategy tester and tested it. It worked. 

I restarted MT4, using the same inputs, same chart, same time frame and intervals - I get quite a different result. I try using other output values from my back-test results and none of them give me the input indicated in the Optimization output. 

Please assist :(

note: I went into the /tester/history folder and tried to open the .fxt file which seemed to have been the outcome of the test, but metaeditor simply displays the letter 'nu' after opening it. The file size is 250MB. 

Cheers,

John 

What was the spread used ? You can't use "current" spread if you want to reproduce your test. You can check what as the spread in the logs file of the Strategy Tester.

fxt file are input data in a binary format, nothing to do with the result of your test.

angevoyageur:

What was the spread used ? You can't use "current" spread if you want to reproduce your test. You can check what as the spread in the logs file of the Strategy Tester.

fxt file are input data in a binary format, nothing to do with the result of your test.

Always wondered what that was for. 

The log file stated a spread of 200.

- What difference would this spread make when testing on the Dow.  

- Would it be the same spread used in live.

- What spread value is being used by 'Current' and why did the spread change from the value indicated by 'current' to '200' for the Optimzer

Thanks in advance 

jfasheyi:

Always wondered what that was for. 

The log file stated a spread of 200.

- What difference would this spread make when testing on the Dow.  

- Would it be the same spread used in live.

- What spread value is being used by 'Current' and why did the spread change from the value indicated by 'current' to '200' for the Optimzer

Thanks in advance 

Current means the "current spread" at start of the test will be used. I don't know much about Dow, but 200 is a huge spread, if you made a test different spreads you will have different results, some time VERY different results.
Reason: