MT5 Custom Commission Settings - page 2

Hi Fernando, so:

the setting is  "0.0016% in USD per Lot"... which means 1.6 USD per lot in &  1.6 USD per lot out (as 0.0016% of 100,000 = 1.6).

Why they dont just say 1.6 USD each way is beyond me!

afarias0616 #: Hi Fernando, so: the setting is  "0.0016% in USD per Lot"... which means 1.6 USD per lot in &  1.6 USD per lot out (as 0.0016% of 100,000 = 1.6). Why they dont just say 1.6 USD each way is beyond me!

According to the link I provided, they do not say it is 0.0016% per lot. They say that it is 16 USD per contract divided by 1,000,000 for each in/out deal, adjusted by the exchange rate of the base currency.

• "Commission = (Contract Size × USD-to-base-currency Exchange Rate / 1,000,000) × 16 USD × 2"

afarias0616:
I'm not sure what to put for MT5 backtest custom commission settings... specifically under 'commission', 'mode' and 'type'.

My broker is alpari and their commission is "0.0016% in USD per Lot".

Can anyone help? 

How I account for comission costs on backtesting is with balance withdrawals when you place an order. It siimulates the expense of comissions. Outcome will be the correct balance. You will not look at "net profit" on the backtest window, but instead "net profit"-"withdrawal".

if(OrderSend(request,result)) TesterWithdrawal(request.volume*16); // for 16 USD per lot

Nuno Costa #:How I account for comission costs on backtesting is with balance withdrawals when you place an order. It siimulates the expense of comissions. Outcome will be the correct balance. You will not look at "net profit" on the backtest window, but instead "net profit"-"withdrawal".
Why do you do that if there is already a way to properly simulate commission in the Strategy Tester?

Fernando Carreiro #:

According to the link I provided, they do not say it is 0.0016% per lot. They say that it is 16 USD per contract divided by 1,000,000 for each in/out deal, adjusted by the exchange rate of the base currency.

• "Commission = (Contract Size × USD-to-base-currency Exchange Rate / 1,000,000) × 16 USD × 2"
Please see the contract specification of the symbol attached, as stated in the account itself.

Also, I tested it with different lot sizes, and the results were the same (strategy tester commission versus actual account commission).
Files:

afarias0616 #: Please see the contract specification of the symbol attached, as stated in the account itself. Also, I tested it with different lot sizes, and the results were the same (strategy tester commission versus actual account commission).
Well, as long as the implementation in the Strategy Tester is now replicating the same values as the live account, then your problem is now solved, irrespective of the words used by the broker to describe how they calculate it.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Hi Fernando, after testing it further on other pairs, I realised it is indeed incorrect as you stated. do you perhaps have another suggestion please? Honestly I am stuck on this.

afarias0616 #: Hi Fernando, after testing it further on other pairs, I realised it is indeed incorrect as you stated. do you perhaps have another suggestion please? Honestly I am stuck on this.

I don't use that broker, so I'm unable to offer any more advice than what I have already given.

EDIT: The key point that is probably causing the differences in symbols is due to the part in the calculation about "USD-to-base-currency Exchange Rate".

Fernando Carreiro #:

I don't use that broker, so I'm unable to offer any more advice than what I have already given.

EDIT: The key point that is probably causing the differences in symbols is due to the part in the calculation about "USD-to-base-currency Exchange Rate".

ok thanks Fernando

Can anyone explain the steps to modify symbol commissions? Even if that involves creating a Custom Symbol.

I need to run a specific backtest with no commissions. 

Thank you

Reason: