Discussion of article "Data Science and Machine Learning — Neural Network (Part 01): Feed Forward Neural Network demystified"

New article Data Science and Machine Learning — Neural Network (Part 01): Feed Forward Neural Network demystified has been published:

Many people love them but a few understand the whole operations behind Neural Networks. In this article I will try to explain everything that goes behind closed doors of a feed-forward multi-layer perception in plain English.

The Hyperbolic Tangent Function.

It's given by the formula,

tanh formula

Its graph looks like the below,

tanh activation function image

Author: Omega J Msigwa

Hi, 

Very good your article. Good job!

I've been reading about neural network, but until now I still haven't figured out what advantages or differences the neural network can be when compared to the MT5 optimization system itself.

For example: If I have some strategy using MACD and ATR, I can "train" it to find out the best parameters on MT5 optimization system. And also I can include a weight system in the indicators or other data.

Both will search for best parameters or "weights" in the past to apply in the future.

Maybe I'm wrong and did not get the whole idea. 

Could you explain it? Or give some examples?

Neural Networks: From Theory to Practice
Neural Networks: From Theory to Practice
  • www.mql5.com
Nowadays, every trader must have heard of neural networks and knows how cool it is to use them. The majority believes that those who can deal with neural networks are some kind of superhuman. In this article, I will try to explain to you the neural network architecture, describe its applications and show examples of practical use.

Guilherme Mendonca #:

Could you explain it? Or give some examples?

the difference between optimization, on the strategy tester versus optimizing the neural network parameters is the goal, on the strategy tester we tend to focus on the parameters that provide the most profitable outputs or at least the trading results we want, this doesn't necessarily mean that the neural network has a good model that has led to those kind of results

some folks prefer to put the weights and the bias as input parameters of neural net based systems(Feed forward roughly speaking) but I think optimizing using the strategy tester is basically finding the random values of the best results(finding the optimal ones sounds like depending on luck) while if we were to optimize using stochastic gradient descent we are moving towards the model with the least errors in predictions on every step

Omega J Msigwa #:

the difference between optimization, on the strategy tester versus optimizing the neural network parameters is the goal, on the strategy tester we tend to focus on the parameters that provide the most profitable outputs or at least the trading results we want, this doesn't necessarily mean that the neural network has a good model that has led to those kind of results

some folks prefer to put the weights and the bias as input parameters of neural net based systems(Feed forward roughly speaking) but I think optimizing using the strategy tester is basically finding the random values of the best results(finding the optimal ones sounds like depending on luck) while if we were to optimize using stochastic gradient descent we are moving towards the model with the least errors in predictions on every step

Thank you for your response.

I got your point.

Why did you start from the first part?

old article:

DATA SCIENCE AND MACHINE LEARNING (PART 01): LINEAR REGRESSION

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/10459

Data Science and Machine Learning (Part 01): Linear Regression
Data Science and Machine Learning (Part 01): Linear Regression
  • www.mql5.com
It's time for us as traders to train our systems and ourselves to make decisions based on what number says. Not on our eyes, and what our guts make us believe, this is where the world is heading so, let us move perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

Xiaolei Liu #:

old article:

what do you mean?

Xiaolei Liu #:

old article:

I guess it's the first part of the Neural Networks sub-series. Waiting for the second one...
Reason: