I have this code in a loop:

if (OrdersTotal() > 0)   {
   monitorTrade();
}
if (OrdersTotal() == 0)  {
   orderOpen("buy");
   return;
}

I expected the EA to never open more than one single order at a time, but it sends many until I disable it.

I put the output of OrdersTotal() in a label and saw that the number of orders were indicated as 0 although several had been opened.

I placed a single order out of the loop and the label still indicated 0, not 1.

That is not even what I wanted in the first place. I'm used to doing it like this:

// at the end of an orderOpen function:

if (result.retcode == TRADE_RETCODE_PLACED)     {
   isTradeRunning = true;
   if (action == "buy")    {orderRunning = "buy";}
   if (action == "sell")   {orderRunning = "sell";}
} else {Print("Last error on " + _Symbol + ": " + IntegerToString(GetLastError()));}

And the actual loop is:

if (isOrderRunning == true)   {
   monitorTrade();
}
if (isOrderRunning == false)  {
   orderOpen("buy");
   return;
}

But that fails too. I mean, the EA will keep opening more than one order if I don't disable it.

I flip the boolean value from inside the orderOpen function after confirmation that the order has been sent successfully (which I still don't know how to do), but for the sake of testing I changed the loop to this:

if (isOrderRunning == true)   {
   monitorTrade();
}
if (isOrderRunning == false)  {
   orderOpen("buy");
   isTradeRunning = true;
   return;
}

Even with the boolean value flip inserted right in the loop, the EA still posts multiple orders.

So I have two problems:

1) Why is OrdersTotal() not working as expected?

2) Why is my global variable isOrderRunning not being acknowledged?

Documentation on MQL5: Trade Functions / OrdersTotal
Documentation on MQL5: Trade Functions / OrdersTotal
  • www.mql5.com
OrdersTotal - Trade Functions - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

whoowl:

if (OrdersTotal() > 0)   {
   monitorTrade();
}
if (OrdersTotal() == 0)  {
   orderOpen("buy");
   return;
}

I expected the EA to never open more than one single order at a time, but it sends many until I disable it.
I put the output of OrdersTotal() in a label and saw that the number of orders were indicated as 0 although several had been opened.
Even with the boolean value flip inserted right in the loop, the EA still posts multiple orders.

So I have two problems:

Hello,

Use PositionsTotal() to see how many trades are currently running.

OrdersTotal() is used to see how many pending orders have been placed.

Kind regards.

Documentation on MQL5: Trade Functions / PositionsTotal
Documentation on MQL5: Trade Functions / PositionsTotal
  • www.mql5.com
PositionsTotal - Trade Functions - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

whoowl:

That is not even what I wanted in the first place. I'm used to doing it like this:

And the actual loop is:

But that fails too. I mean, the EA will keep opening more than one order if I don't disable it.

I flip the boolean value from inside the orderOpen function after confirmation that the order has been sent successfully (which I still don't know how to do), but for the sake of testing I changed the loop to this:

So I have two problems:

For your 2nd question, because you are using two different variables. Change "isTradeRunning" to "isOrderRunning".