What will happen if I open a limit buy and limit sell order at the same time? - page 2

It also depends on your broker, US trading rules will not let you go long and short on the same currency pair at the same time.  Brokers outside of the US allow hedging.

I thought MT5 allowed hedging now, but it did not in the past.

There is an EA called Pending Stops that will place a long and short pending order for you with a given spread. It will also enter several pending orders at different levels (all long, all short, or both ways.)  You can find it in the Market.

It enters pending orders on one or both side of the current price only.

Alain Verleyen:

It seems your SELL LIMIT is correctly placed.

"sell limit order placed at XXXX for execution in XXX ms ( Order recevied. Sending to OMS)"

Look your chart, look your Terminal window.

Hello Alain,

Thanks you are correct, , anyway I ran an update of the METATRADER and the problem desappeared, now I have the BUY STOP and also the SELL LIMIT lines on the screen.

Many thanks for your support

Sergio

Keith Watford:

Please be absolutely clear.

Do you mean that the sell limit is not being placed or do you mean that both pending orders are being placed but only the buy is being triggered?

Hi Keith,

I'm facing exactly the situation you've described. I've placed both buy limit and sell stop orders at the same price, but when the market price reaches that level, only the sell stop is being triggered. Do you have any clue on that behavior?

jfcmelo:

Hi Keith,

I'm facing exactly the situation you've described. I've placed both buy limit and sell stop orders at the same price, but when the market price reaches that level, only the sell stop is being triggered. Do you have any clue on that behavior?

MT5 ?

Which broker/symbol ?

Alain Verleyen:

MT5 ?

Which broker/symbol ?

MT4. Activtrades (demo account) EUR/USD

jfcmelo:

MT4. Activtrades (demo account) EUR/USD

An other time please use the MT4/mql4 section, this topic is about MT5.

A buy limit is open at ask price, a sell stop at bid price, so if they are at the exact same price, they will not trigger simultaneously.

I open a pending buy + 5 pips and a pending sell - 5 pips and it leave it to the market to determine which one open. Often both open and I get whiplashed but this happens about 20% of the time.I also make profit about 20% of the time both ways which means I make profit on the buy  and when the market reverse I make a profit on the sell.also about 40% of the time only one the buy or the sell will open and I am again in profit. About 20% of the time i just make a lose  because the tend is one directional. I call it hedging with pending orders.
Reason: