From theory to practice - page 6

Alexander_K:

This is the difference between the current and previous price values.

Vladimir, how fair is it to work with the average between Bid and Ask? I checked the spread histogram - it's very far from bell-shaped - it looks like a Humbel distribution. Isn't it quite correct to work with such an average?

Why such a strange naming, "returns", and no indication of which price, Bid or Ask?

This average accurately reflects the fact that any brokerage company does not quote currency pairs independently. It is not about distributions, it is a rigid law. If any bank or DC suddenly violates the rule for the ratio of currency strengths XXX and YYY in the cross-rate XXXYY = XXXUSD / YYYUSD by the value of the spread, it will be in trouble with arbitrage. Because buying and selling occur frequently and cannot be predicted, both banks and DCs maintain cross rates near the middle of the Bid - Ask segment. The 7 forces of currencies act as independent variables determining the exchange rate of the 28 pairs. Analysis of behaviour of XXXYYY relation instead of analysis of behaviour of XXX and YYY currency forces separately is both superfluous work and ignoring real dependencies. Not correlations, but dependencies whose observance is monitored by arbitrage systems with financial penalties for the violator, be it a bank or a DC.

Vladimir:

Why this strange naming, "returns", and no indication of which price, Bid or Ask?

Such an average is a fairly accurate reflection of the fact that any DC does not quote currency pairs independently at all. It is not about distributions at all, it is a rigid law. If any bank or DC suddenly violates the rule for the ratio of currency strengths XXX and YYY in the cross rate XXXYY = XXXUSD / YYYUSD by the value of the spread, it will be in trouble from arbitrage. Because buying and selling occur frequently and cannot be predicted, both banks and DCs maintain cross rates near the middle of the Bid - Ask segment. The 7 forces of currencies act as independent variables determining the exchange rate of the 28 pairs. Analysis of behaviour of XXXYYY relation instead of analysis of behaviour of XXX and YYY currency forces separately is both superfluous work and ignoring real dependencies. Not correlations, but dependencies whose observance is monitored by arbitrage systems with financial penalties for the violator, be it a bank or a DC.

then.

the quotation of others will take the quotation of the master and become a slave

That is, in fact, nothing supernatural will happen and there will be no chart mismatch

the more so because the crosses are not quoted, but obtained by either multiplying or dividing the prices of the majors

that is, crosses are just an ordinary indicator, nothing more

Aleksey Panfilov:

Am I right in thinking that it is logically important to take the geometric mean (the root of the product ofBid and Ask), or can I not bother with such subtleties?

Calculate how much the geometric mean differs from the arithmetic mean when the spread, typical, for example, for EURUSD is 0.0002: (1.0001*0.9999)^0.5 = 0.999999995 = 1- 0.000000005. Very little, isn't it? For a spread of 20 4-digit points, (1.001*0.999)^0.5 = 0.9999995 = 1 - 0.000005, that is half of a 5-digit point, which is 400 times the spread.

Vladimir:

Why this strange naming, "returns", and no indication of which price, Bid or Ask?

This average reflects the fact that any brokerage company does not quote currency pairs independently. It's not about distributions, it's a rigid law. If any bank or DC suddenly violates the rule for the ratio of currency strengths XXX and YYY in the cross-rate XXXYY = XXXUSD / YYYUSD by the value of the spread, it will be in trouble from arbitrage. Because buying and selling occur frequently and cannot be predicted, both banks and DCs maintain cross rates around the midpoint of the Bid - Ask segment. The 7 forces of currencies act as independent variables determining the exchange rate of the 28 pairs. Analysis of behaviour of XXXYYY relation instead of analysis of behaviour of XXX and YYY currency forces separately is both superfluous work and ignoring real dependencies. Not correlations, but dependencies whose observance is continuously monitored by arbitrage systems with financial penalties for the violator, be it a bank or a DC.

Thank you Vladimir! I've come to this forum for a reason - there are really knowledgeable people here!

Aleksey Panfilov:

Am I right in thinking that, logically, it is important to take the geometric mean (the root of the product ofBid and Ask), or can I not bother with such subtleties?

What is the problem with taking the Bid and Ask separately?

Yury Kirillov:

What's the problem with considering Bid and Ask separately?

For me, saving computing power is VERY important - I've already tried to run TC with 18 pairs, for each of which the algorithm was calculated separately for Bid and separately for Ask. CPU load is 100%. And I need to work with 36 pairs at the same time. If working with the average between Bid and Ask does not violate statistical regularities, then it is a definite saving and I'm very glad about it.

Alexander_K:

Probability density: P (x) = 1/sqrt((s^2+x^2)^3)

The following notations apply:

X - price increment

S - scale factor (not equal to standard deviation in general)

s^2/[2*sqrt((s^2+x^2)^3)]

Mikhail Dovbakh:

s^2/[2*sqrt((s^2+x^2)^3)]

Checked. Hats off to you - you are absolutely right. Made corrections.

Alexander_K:

Hmmm... So you are sure that the return process is just as non-stationary? It definitely has at least mode, median and mean = 0. The only question is whether the variance changes over time.

It is a medical fact.

Study the math. There are plenty of tests on the subject.

If you don't want to bother with maths, you can look at graphs with gaps and stuff like that...

But you know better.

СанСаныч Фоменко:

It's a medical fact.

Study the math. There are plenty of tests on the subject.

If you don't want to do the maths, you can look at charts with gaps and stuff like that...

But you know better.

I will double-check it myself tomorrow. Once again, please note that I am looking at ONLY non-parametric statistics. I don't care about variance in its classical sense. Whether the non-parametric coefficient of scale s changes for the t2-distributionStudent's is the question. San Sanych, I kind of know a little bit about physics and mathematics - maybe you will have a more constructive dialogue?
Reason: