The absurdity of a stop loss - page 15

Mathemat:

There are no such systems. These are fantasies based on insufficient statistics.

The real ratio is in the region of 1.5...2, sometimes a little more (but this is rare).

Why not? If you create your own system, you have the right to set any "fantastic" parameters for it))))

For scalper or scalper, 1.5...2 is really good.

I'm talking about the trend following system. Do you feel the difference? In such systems it is customary to add a trand to a winning position. And if the system has built a pyramid from 5-10 units, the cumulative position at the end of the trend will be about 25...50 stoplosses.

Of course, you will not see these ratios in your tester report )))

khorosh:
This is a possible option. Looking for market direction by making a few erroneous trades with a small stop. God forbid we run into a long flat.
We enter it at the end of the flat. And we train at the beginning.

DDFedor:
"the stop is part of the system. where is the system? how can you discuss something that directly affects the "system" in isolation from the system itself, which affects the "part of the system"...

I absolutely agree. Any trading system has its own optimal behaviour for open position management - this is an integral part of any TS (including closing an open position, e.g. by setting a stop and/or take), so to consider "the absurdity of a stop loss" or some optimal tp/close ratio without reference to a specific system is complete nonsense.

P.s. A comrade once wrote:

" .... the price is DIFFERENT AFTER the stop is triggered, because :

1.if it reverses BEFORE, it is a good stop...
2.if it continues to move AFTER the stop is also a good stop....

3.but if AFTER a stop is triggered, price reverses - that's a bad stop...."

kch:

I absolutely agree. Any trading system has its own optimal behaviour for open position management - this is an integral part of any TS (including closing an open position, for example by setting a stop and/or take), so it is nonsense to consider "stop loss absurdity" or any optimal tp/close ratio without reference to a specific system.

To consider views that don't agree with yours to be "complete nonsense" is, to say the least, indecent.

Without giving any assessment of your assertion, I would only ask that you show us the "correct" place to set the Stop for any of the TS that come with Metatrader.

That might prove to be a valuable contribution on your part to our common cause. ))

DhP:

It is, to say the least, unseemly to consider views that do not agree with yours to be "complete nonsense".

Without giving any assessment of your assertion, I would only ask you to show us the "correct" place to set the Stop for any of the TS that come with Metatrader.

That might prove to be a valuable contribution on your part to our common cause. ))

I personally do not use the TSs included with Metatrader, so I have no intention of showing you anything.

Z.I., There is no common cause...

kch:

TC, I personally don't use the included Metatrader, so I have no intention of showing anything either.

Z.U., There's no common cause...

That's disappointing.

And it started so well...)))

kch:

The TCs included in Metatrader I personally don't use, so I have no intention of showing anything either, as it were.

Z.I., There is no common cause...

And you should ), it shows an example of a trend and flat strategy, if you set it up properly, it's not a bad helper.

DhP:

Imho, nevertheless, we should start a discussion of stops with the TS which gives (gave in the past) some statistic advantage, for example at TP = SL, and from this we can select the optimal conditions for exiting the trade for this TS in order to increase profitability / drawdown reduction (stop, take, close by time, close on the signal, etc.) - for example through conventional optimization.

sanyooooook:

You should), it shows an example of a trend and flat strategy, if you set it up properly, it's not a bad helper.
what are we talking about? where is the example?

kch:
Imho, nevertheless we should start a discussion about stops exactly with TS which gives (gave in the past) some stat advantage, for example at TP = SL, and already on this basis we can select the optimal conditions for exiting a trade for this TS in order to increase profitability / drawdown reduction (stop, take, close by time, close on the signal, etc.) - for example through the usual optimization.

You may be right in all this, but I feel more comfortable entering and exiting without using stops.

Opposing signals both close the trade and reverse it 180 degrees.

As has already been said here in the thread: It's time to call things by their proper names - TakeLoss and StopProfit. And I like that idea, it's close to my heart.

Reason: