Stops - page 21

Avals:

The shortfall in profits is also a risk. Only it is not realised in a single trade, but in a decent series.
That's true, but a little different than a reduction in capital.

Svinozavr:
))) I won't. Actually, I've already said it all. A stop is an alarmist phenomenon, a force majeure event. As an element of the idea of trading - doesn't work. Proof? I don't even know where to send you. To what sources. Why don't we start with the law of conservation of energy (and matter as well)?

Get it right. If the profit part of the system works, the stops should automatically work too. In other words, if you suddenly know where the market will go, then you must know where it will not go and be able to formulate protection conditions. If you have a stat advantage, then the stops will reduce the risks of not making a profit, as I wrote for you (and not only me :o). And if someone does not use stops - it means he knows nothing about the market, and this someone (I'm not pointing fingers), has no idea where this whole thing will move.)

Actually, I've already said it all.

Very informative! Keep talking.

Proofs?

What the hell do you need it for! Don't fill your head with bullshit. Combined with "Actually, I've said it all." it reads funny...

Despite a thorough, pencil and reichsfeder in hand, study of this branch, I am still tearing my feet up uncontrollably.

Svinozavr:

But, going back... Show me a TS where the stop is a profit.

I've forgotten the rules, but moving the stops... no?

Vigor:
I forgot the rules, but move the stops... don't you?

You can move (modify an order)

Tantrik:

We can move (modify an order).

Then all my systems are almost only of this kind. This includes the Championship Expert Advisor. All profits come from stops.

Stops are good. They guarantee execution in case of a connection failure. They follow the profit at the right delta distance, the delta absorbs the noise. More profit is taken from the right trailing stop than from the take. И -

Farnsworth:

A stop is a filter that should block an unsuccessful entry. It means that an event must occur, the most obvious one being crossing a certain boundary (level), the fact of which unambiguously indicates an unsuccessful entry.

I totally agree.

Cod:
Despite careful, with pencil and reichsfeder in hand, study of this thread, my stops are still tearing up uncontrollably.
This is exactly the kind of thing that unequivocally indicates an unfortunate entry.

So this is the approach I've come to: initially, we trade intraday and try to take profits intraday. Everyone uses different methods, for me optimal stop for intraday is 18-32 pips, target is 60-80 pips.

However, we should not forget that the big movement may start today. And if it turns out that the day closes at the extremum, then we switch our mind: move our stop to the middle line between today's and the next day's pivot, i.e. do not take profit, but view the position as something longer-lasting.

This seems more logical than using trailing stops based on APR or something else. And sometimes it comes out beautifully:

Cod:

So here is my approach: initially, we trade intraday and try to take profits intraday.

...then we switch to the longer-term thinking: we move the stop to the middle line between today's and next day's pivot, i.e. we do not take profits, but consider the position as something longer-term.

Yes, one of my working models that allows taking more profits - is to change trailing type: at first it is cautious (break-even and small step), and after exceeding a certain level of profit it changes to trailing parabolic, which follows the trend (sometimes long enough). (cut losses and grow profits)

How do you manage with short stops here? Solid inside and outside bars, a pile-up of sorts.

Greetings respected community. Looked through the thread and did not come across one of the interpretations of the concept of a stop. A stop is a level that denotes the failure of a scenario being traded. If the scenario is several other sub-scenarios, then depending on its development, the stop - e.g. trailing - changes as well.
Reason: