A question about discreteness (just don't hit the table too hard for being off-topic) - page 4

I'll tell you a bearded anecdote:

Don't ask me what he's got to do with it.

A parishioner asks the priest: "I'm a long time old, but my wife had a baby. Is it a miracle or not?

A miracle, my son. A miracle.

I met a Vedmedian in the forest. I pointed my staff at him and said: "Blow!

The poor thing died. Also a miracle.

But when I looked back, I saw a big man with a big fuse in his hands.

Nilog:

How do discrete particles know each other exists? What is the mechanism?

Well, so the discreteness is imaginary, exists only in heads of researchers, and between particles there is "something" (other, smaller particles?), which transmits interaction. And the fact that this "something" has not been discovered yet is a problem of science...

We don't see any ticks on the graph. But they are there.

And outside the terminal, something happens all the time that we don't know about.

Again, why do you need this feature?

10. КОЛИЧЕСТВО НЕ ОПРЕДЕЛЯЕТ ПАТТЕРНА

A pattern cannot be explained by a quantity alone. But note that the relationship between the two quantities is already the beginning of the pattern. In other words, quantity and pattern belong to different logical types[1] and it is difficult to combine them with each other in the same thought.

Where a pattern may appear to have been formed by a quantity, in fact it already existed in a latent form in that system when it began to be influenced by the quantity. Everyone is familiar with the case of a tensioned chain breaking at its weakest link. With the change of quantity (tension) the hidden difference becomes visible, or as the photographer would say, manifests itself. The manifestation of photographic negatives is the extraction from the photo-emulsion of the hidden differences embedded in it by the uneven exposure to light.

Imagine an island with two mountains. A quantitative change - a rise in ocean level - could turn that single island into two islands. This will happen the moment the ocean level rises higher than the pass between the two mountains. Here, too, we see that the qualitative pattern existed in a latent form before quantity began to influence it; and when the pattern changed, the change occurred suddenly and abruptly.

Pattern formation is often interpreted with the help of quantity: tension, energy, or something else. I am convinced that all such explanations are inappropriate or wrong. If pattern changes are considered in terms of factors that cause quantitative changes, they will always be unpredictable or divergent.

11. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A MONOTONIC "QUANTITY" IN BIOLOGY

A quantity is called monotonic if it only increases or only decreases. There is no hump on its curve; in other words, an increase on the curve is never followed by a decrease and vice versa. Useful substances, things, patterns or sequences of experiences that are in some respect "good" for the body - food, living conditions, temperature, entertainment, sex, and so on - are never such that it is always better to have as many of them as possible. In fact, there is some optimal value for every object and experience. If this value is exceeded, the variable becomes dangerous. If it is not reached, it is felt to be lacking.

This property of biological values does not apply to money. Money is always evaluated in a transitive way. It is considered better to have as much money as possible. For example, it is better to have 1,001 dollars than 1,000. But this is not the case with biological units. It is not always better to have as much calcium as possible. There is an optimum amount of calcium needed to nourish a given body. It is the same with the oxygen we breathe, with food, with the various components of our diet and probably with all components of human relationships: in all these cases, "too much is no longer good". Even psychotherapy can be too much. Relationships with no struggle at all are boring, and relationships with too much struggle are harmful. A relationship with some optimal level of conflict is desirable. It may even turn out that money, if we do not consider it in and of itself, but in terms of its impact on its owner, will also be harmful if it exceeds a certain level. In any case, a philosophy of money based on the system of presuppositions which require having as much money as possible is thoroughly anti-biological. Nevertheless, it seems that living beings can be taught this philosophy.

[1] We shall discuss Russell's conception of logical types in more detail later, especially in the last section of chapter 4. For now we will only remark that sincea class cannot be its own element, conclusions which can only be drawn from many cases (e.g. from differences between pairs of elements) and conclusions based on one element (e.g. quantity) belong to different logical types. (See also Dictionary.)

-------------------------------------------------------------

To the topic-starter: If you liked it and it fits the underlying query, you are here: http://www.koob.ru/bateson_gregory/

The excerpt cited is from "Mind and Nature"

Dersu:

We don't see any ticks on the graph. But they are there.

And outside the terminal, something happens all the time that we don't know about.

Again - why do you need this feature?

I don't... You want to get to know the world you live in... You don't want to read a multi-voiced volume of MetaDriver... Who, I think, hasn't even earned a ruble on FX, and now he's giving advice...

You don't create entities beyond necessity.

The price takes EVERYTHING into account.

True, I would add: sooner or later.

Nilog:

No reason... You want to get to know the world you live in... Not to read the multi-voiced volumes of MetaDriver... Which, I think, doesn't even earn a ruble on FX, and give advice...

А ..! Well, I'm sorry, if anything. I won't do it again. Of course you won't. You don't need it. It's just a bunch of suckers giving advice. Let them earn it first.... :))

But, uh... You have to warn me. And don't lie. Cause I was buying the original application:

Nilog 06.11.2010 11:52

I've recently read in one thread that in forex too there is discretion, "like everywhere else in this world". I don't give a shit about forex. Not having a maths background, it's hard for me to appreciate the case. But I don't understand discreteness in the physical sense - if there is a connection between discrete components, roughly speaking corpuscles (quarks or whatever else they come up with, leptons) - what does it physically manifest itself in? How does it spread? By corpuscles as well? But how does one corpuscle know about the other? How do they interact? Is the field also discrete? But then how are the discrete components connected?

And is this how one gets to know the world? Hmmm...

MetaDriver:

А ..! Well, I'm sorry if anything. I won't do it again. Of course you won't. You don't need it. It's just a bunch of suckers giving advice. Let them earn it first.... :))

But, uh... You have to warn me. And don't lie. Because I was buying the original application:

Where did I buy you? Where did I lie? Why are you so offended?

I had a little question - what are the discrete components related to? I do not see the answer, not even an approximation.

If I have offended in any way, I apologize.

Dersu:
Is this how you get to know the world? Hmmm...

How should I know? I'm introduced to Debra Winger by good films. And nothing works - Sheltering Sky, Terms of Endearment... Try it!

You don't know the answer to my question... I give you good advice :)

Reason: