[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 220

I've been doing a little digging around with the kutsigi kutsiks, though. It turns out the following system:

Kz + Gs - Kp = 0.

(Kp + Kz) * 45 = T + k*45

(Кr + Гс) * 60 = Т + k*60

(Kz + Gs) * 90 = T + k*90

(Kz + Gs + Kr) * x = T + k*x

where k is growth of grass for one day (I assume that grass grows on the eaten places no worse than on the uneaten places);

T -- initial amount of grass on the pasture;

Kr, Kz, Gs -- the daily consumption of the cow, goat and goose respectively;

x is unknown number of days.

Next, I divide 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the equations by 45, 60, 90, and x respectively:

Kz + Gs - Kr = 0

Kr + Kz = T/45 + k

Kr + Gs = T/60 + k

Kz + Gs = T/90 + k

Kz + Gs + Kp = T/x + k

If we add 2 + 3 + 4 we have

(Kz + Gs + Kr) * 2 = T/45 + k + T/60 + k + T/90 + k = T/20 + 3*k

whence Kz + Hs + Kr = T/40 + 3*k/2

Hence:

... Counting for now :)

I spent a whole hour today arguing with an electrician. He proved to me that 'zero' and 'zero' are different things :)

What do experts in the field of mathematics think about this?

Richie >>:

Сегодня целый час ругался с электриком. Тот доказывал мне, что 'нуль" и "ноль" - это разные вещи :)

А что думают по этому поводу специалисты в области математики?

I once - well, not swearing - laughed outright at one asshole who pretended to be an advanced musician and proved that he could tell by ear a licensed CD from a copy

o_O

Rosenthal is certainly no longer an authority as of late, but (Dictionary of Russian Language Difficulties - Rosenthal, Talenkova - 2005):

НОЛЬ - НУЛЬ

Coincide in meaning, but differ in usage. As a rule, zero is used in everyday speech and in a number of stable word combinations, zero - in terminology, in scientific speech.

Zero in whole. Zero hours. At twelve-zero-zero. Zero attention (pl.). Zero without a stick (pl.). Absolute zero. Below zero. Equal to zero. Reduced to zero.

By the way, here is a problem for connoisseurs of the Russian language:

Is it "greater than or equal to zero" or "greater than or equal to zero"?

I'm no connoisseur (professionally), but probably the second option. It just omits the word "zero" after "more" ("greater than or equal to zero" ). If the same word is inserted in the first option, it doesn't work.

By the way, there are rumours that Joseph Vissarionovich himself coined one of these words.

2 MetaDriver: Lloyd's problem really got to you. When you'll take integrals, give me a call.

By the way, here: I furtively looked up the solution of the problem on numbers between consecutive squares. Surprisingly, there's nothing at all about divisibility. But the properties of natural numbers are, of course, used. The whole reasoning is based only on the estimation of "greater than/less than".

Если некоторое произведение разложить на множители, то никакой из множителей не может встретиться в разложении более 2 раз.

Otherwise one would have to admit that the set occurs at least twice in one of the numbers. But then ....

Further on by yourself?

Nope, not by yourself. Write it out in formulas, it's easier to understand. Be sure to tell us what the variable in question is.

Richie >>:

Сегодня целый час ругался с электриком. Тот доказывал мне, что 'нуль" и "ноль" - это разные вещи :)

А что думают по этому поводу специалисты в области математики?

It's like the old joke: "not syl, but sol, churban nerusski" :-))

Richie писал(а) >>

I spent a whole hour today arguing with an electrician. He proved to me that 'zero' and 'zero' are different things :)

And what do experts in the field of mathematics think about it?

Let me explain. In his opinion, ZERO is "something electrical" resembling a copper or aluminium bar, while ZERO is "something mathematical" resembling the letter "O" :)

Richie >>:

Поясню. По его мнению, НУЛЬ - это "нечто электрическое", напоминающие медную или алюминиевую шину, а НОЛЬ - это "нечто математическое", напоминающее букву "О" :)

Got it. That's the electrician from the joke ("... I told you ZERO and you're a phase, a phase...")

Another incident came to mind. A couple of years ago I was arguing with a decorator. He argued that a drill and a drill were different things:

a drill only for concrete, a drill only for wood or metal.

My attempts to explain him that these words have one meaning in English (drill) failed :)

Well in English almost all birds of prey are either hawks or eagles :)

So you'll have to accept that a drill and a borer are very different things.

Reason: