Trading strategies without StopLoss - page 6

What does it mean to "get it right?" Are there examples of proper handling?

Andrey Dik:
What do you mean, "Handle it right?" You got any examples of getting it right?

There is. But this is very superficial and does not always work in practice if the deposit is "flimsy". Suppose we took a long and the price went down, when it passes not 50pp (not a fix), but when it reaches some level or a pattern, when we understand that the price will not go up, we put a lock and wait. When the price reaches some support or consolidates at it, we can assume that the price will return, if the price starts to go back - remove the lock and wait for the return. The price starts to go in our direction, if it comes - good, if it again turns and runs away, then again we put a lock. Also, we can try to average, thus bringing breakeven level closer. But here we have a lot of drawbacks: the price can only constantly fall with growing attempts, and with every opening of a lock and price fall we have a growing lot.

It is difficult to manage unprofitable lots, the price may just fall, if the price is in a flat channel, then fine, we don't even need to average it, it will come anyway. But this is all relative and we do not know where the reversal will occur, which in turn leads to even larger drawdowns. If you have an Expert Advisor, you can implement it programmatically, but if you work manually, you can miss the signal for action, such as sleep, crap, munching, etc. If you trade by hand, it is easier to cut the small loss and not to bother with lots. But this is my opinion.

Vitaly Muzichenko:

There is. But this is very superficial and does not always work in practice if the deposit is "flimsy". Suppose we took a long and the price went down, when it passes not 50pp (not a fix), but when it reaches some level or a pattern, when we understand that the price will not go up, we put a lock and wait. When the price reaches some support or consolidates at it, we can assume that the price will return, if the price starts to go back - remove the lock and wait for the return. The price starts to go in our direction, if it comes - good, if it again turns and runs away, then again we put a lock. Also, we can try to average, thus bringing breakeven level closer. But here we have a lot of drawbacks: the price can only constantly fall with growing attempts, and with every opening of the lock and falling prices we have a growing lot.

It is difficult to manage unprofitable positions with a lot, the price may just fall, if the price is in a flat channel, then fine, we don't even need to average it, it will come anyway. But this is all relative and we do not know where the reversal will occur, which in turn leads to even larger drawdowns. If you have an Expert Advisor, you can implement it programmatically, but if you work manually, you can miss the signal for action, such as sleep, crap, munching, etc. If you trade by hand, it is easier to cut the small loss and not to bother with lots. But this is my opinion.

It makes no difference, with or without hands.

All reasoning and assumptions of low traders are based on the idea that if the price has gone "wrong", as they say, one either blocks the loss or tries to average the loss until the "complete breakdown". Apparently, the notion of "breaking" has some cunning intention that, having entered the equity position, the price goes "there". Can you smell it? Why do we suppose that entering in the wrong direction will not be followed by entering in the opposite direction during the "break-up"?

Thus an error in the logical reasoning of lowers, refillers and stoopers: if an error is made with the direction of entry, then the next solution will be correct.

And as for a concrete example of "shambles" - no one can give it without the above-mentioned error in logical reasoning.

Andrey Dik:

As for a specific example of "fixing" - no one can give it without the above-mentioned error in logical reasoning.

As I already wrote, I prefer to work in this way, and it has not failed so far, I put a stop at 9 points and do not worry about it. Either stop -9pp+spread, or +60pp:

Igor Yeremenko:

Hi all, here's a topic

All who trade on the real have heard from the "guru" teachers and from "smart books" that "trading without stops is a straight path to failure".

But at the same time (those teachers don't tell us anything about it for some reason) SL (triggered) leads to a direct loss, even if the price moves in the direction we want(

So what are the trading ideas/options without SL, but with risk control (drawdowns, etc.)

Combination trading and trading on different accounts (competitive, for example) is too simple (clear, obvious), what are the other ways (approaches, methods, techniques)?

I am interested for: MT4, MT5; within one broker/DC

Because if your stoploss is three times less than take profit, then even with a ratio of 60% loss trades to 40% gain trades you will always be in the black.

Igor Yeremenko:

Hi all, here's a topic

All who trade on the real have heard from the "guru" teachers and from "smart books" that "trading without stops is a straight path to failure".

But at the same time (the same teachers don't tell us anything about it for some reason) SL (triggered) leads to a direct loss even if the price moves in the direction we want(

So what are the trading ideas/options without SL, but with risk control (drawdowns, etc.)

Combination trading and trading on different accounts (for example on competition accounts) is too simple (understandable, obvious), what are the other ways (approaches, methods, techniques)?

Interested in: MT4, MT5; within the same broker/CC

Stop Loss (as a limiter of possible losses) - a gift from the trader to the broker.

Stop Loss (as a Breakeven clamp) is perfectly acceptable and even handy.

Lock limits loss like Stop Loss, but in contrast to it, it is not irreversible.

Lock can be changed during subsequent trade by opening new orders.

If prices fluctuate significantly, both sides of the lock can be closed with profit.

To avoid a margin call you should strive for lock symmetry, including hedging with other instruments (within your trading account).

So it goes like this...

Vitalii Ananev:
That's why even if your stop-losses are three times as big as take-profit ones, you will always be in the plus, even if the ratio of 60% of loss trades to 40% of profit trades is too big.

It is absolutely incorrect to use the percentage ratio of losing and profitable trades as an indicator without taking into account the average volume of losing and profitable trades.

Since trailing profit (and sometimes loss LibreCoin(c)2016) is widely used, takeprofit (and sometimes stoploss) size can be rubber-stamped.

Therefore, being "in the black" is in no way directly dependent on the percentage of profitable and losing trades.

I will ask a specific question to supporters of stops. I have a 1K deposit, I trade with 0.01 lot. Let's say I opened a buy order and didn't get it right. The price went down 100 pips on the four digits. My current loss without SL is $10 or 1% of my deposit. Why would I fix such a loss? What is the point? And at the same time I easily continue trading downwards. So, I assume that those who open pony volumes with their deposits are talking about stops? I saw a smart guy here who opened a 1.5 lot with a 1K deposit. The guy worked with stops, by the way, and while he was guessing, everything was OK, and then a couple of stops triggered... )

Viacheslav Snigirev:
I will ask a specific question to supporters of stops. I have a 1K deposit, I trade with 0.01 lot. Let's say I opened a buy order and didn't get it right. The price went down 100 pips on the four digits. My current loss without SL is $10 or 1% of my deposit. Why would I fix such a loss? What is the point? And at the same time I easily continue trading downwards. So, I assume that those who open pony volumes with their deposits are talking about stops? I saw a smart guy here who opened a 1.5 lot with a 1K deposit. The guy worked with stops, by the way, and while he was guessing, everything was OK, and then a couple of stops triggered... )
You don't want to fix 1% of losses, but how many do you want to fix? Is 100% of the losses just right for a lock-in?

Ibragim Dzhanaev:

There will be no loss.

No stops.

The losses are there, you are just measuring them on the wrong intervals.

Loss zones.

Reason: