Questions from Beginners MQL5 MT5 MetaTrader 5 - page 177

akmk:
Good afternoon, could you please explain:
I have Windows XP on my computer - all MT4 terminals (5-6-7) work fine, no complaints or issues.
A couple of months ago I installed another computer, a new one with Windows 8. I downloaded on it MT4 platforms from the same brokers, and it seems that EAs are trading normally on them.
But at the same time in MT4 neither Journals nor Expert Advisors are writable. There is only the first one folder on the day of loading the terminal.

When I try to copy from MT4 terminal files (like experts-presets) sets with my settings to my desktop or another file, my comp says that it cannot find paths to these files.

!!! Moreover, on the MT4 terminal itself these files are visible and they work, but when you open the same folder on (C:) - they are as if not there, the folder is empty....
In general, total poltergeist.

Help, please, I'm already going crazy :( Is it a compatibility problem between MT4 and Windows 8 or something else?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Personally, when installing the terminal on Windows 8, I go into the properties of the installation file and check - run as Administrator. That way everything works, the profiles are saved, and if I need to remove the terminal, it is removed without question. This is exactly in Windows 8. I also assign the terminal file to run as administrator after installation.

akmk:
Good afternoon, please explain:
I have Windows XP on my computer - all MT4 terminals (5-6-7) work fine, no complaints or issues.
A couple of months ago I installed another computer, a new one with Windows 8. I downloaded on it MT4 platforms from the same brokers, and it seems that EAs are trading normally on them.
But at the same time in MT4 neither Journals nor Expert Advisors are writable. There is only the first one folder on the day of loading the terminal.

When I try to copy from MT4 terminal files (like experts-presets) sets with my settings to my desktop or another file, my comp says that it cannot find paths to these files.

!!! Moreover, on the MT4 terminal itself these files are visible and they work, but when you open the same folder on (C:) - they are as if not there, the folder is empty....
In general, total poltergeist.

Help, please, I'm already going crazy :( Is it a compatibility problem between MT4 and Windows 8 or something else?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Call Bill Gates) Put seven on that computer too and there will be no problem. The files in eight are placed in a special folder.

Here is a discussion on : Vista Working Directory - Mt5

And more :

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Data Folder Location

Renat, 2010.01.21 17:47

Where to write data when there are two copies of the terminal and the Windows security system prohibits (UAC in Vista/2008/Seven) to write data in the /Program Files folder?

Exactly Microsoft made such data directories in AppData to separate clients data. The solution is very ugly in terms of usability, but within the framework of total ban on writing to local directories there is no other way.

On startup, the terminal checks all available rights and uses local directories where possible (e.g. if UAC is disabled). If it has limited rights, it stores data only in AppData.

To force the terminal to store data locally, I should start it with flag /portable.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing of trading strategies

Data Folder location

sergeev, 2010.01.23 13:21

Renat Thanks a lot!!!!

I have added /portable to metaeditor.exe shortcut and it has worked. The Data Folder link has now automatically moved to the terminal install folder.

(By the way - I put terminals in Program Files)

Also write in terminal.exe /portable - it's necessary to take data from installation path. And for F4 to open editor in required park too.

I had to explore settings of file type mapping and add /portable to the ".mq5" opening line too.

Now everything works as it should.

MT5 has a File - Open data directory button.

Ask for the same for MT4.

Silent:

MT5 has a File - Open data directory button.

Ask for the same for MT4.

It is also available in the new MT4.

Sorry silly question, where can I download the new mt4?)

Renat:
It's in the new MT4 too.
Good, thank you. Mine hasn't been updated yet, didn't know.

zfs:
in the discussion thread about the new mt4

zfs:

"To upgrade to the new 574 build of the MetaTrader 4 client terminal, simply connect to the server demo.metaquotes.net:443"

Выпущена бета-версия MetaTrader 4 Build 574 с обновленным языком MQL4 и Маркетом приложений - MQL4 форум
  • www.mql5.com
Выпущена бета-версия MetaTrader 4 Build 574 с обновленным языком MQL4 и Маркетом приложений - MQL4 форум

zfs:
https://www.mql5.com/ru/forum/148850
  • www.mql5.com
Reason: