Can I comment and uncomment code from the keyboard?

In MetaEditor, "Edit" menu, "Advanced" option, there are 'Comment' and 'Uncomment' options. They work for me, but only from that menu.

Can I use those tools from the keyboard?

Next to the 'Comment' option, there is an indication of key combination Ctrl+'. I am not sure what character is that. Is it a single quote? Is it some kind of accent? Neither works for me.

Next to the 'Uncomment' option, there is an indication of key combination Ctrl+;. That is clearly a semi-colon, but when I select commented code and press Ctrl+; the selected code is deleted!

Note that the two options work fine when selected from the menu.

But coding can be tedious and the more I can do without drilling down menus, the better.

Are those key combinations supposed to work? Do they work for you?

whoowl: In MetaEditor, "Edit" menu, "Advanced" option, there are 'Comment' and 'Uncomment' options. They work for me, but only from that menu. Can I use those tools from the keyboard?

Next to the 'Comment' option, there is an indication of key combination Ctrl+'. I am not sure what character is that. Is it a single quote? Is it some kind of accent? Neither works for me. Next to the 'Uncomment' option, there is an indication of key combination Ctrl+;. That is clearly a semi-colon, but when I select commented code and press Ctrl+; the selected code is deleted! Note that the two options work fine when selected from the menu. But coding can be tedious and the more I can do without drilling down menus, the better. Are those key combinations supposed to work? Do they work for you?

You should remember that those keyboard shortcuts are based on a US Keyboard layout and that on other layouts it will be different, and I am assuming you use a Brazilian Portuguese keyboard.

Unfortunately even after looking at the corresponding keys (I use a Iberian Portuguese keyboard), some sequences still don't match, so you will have to play around a bit with different key sequences and see what each one does until you find the ones you want.

whoowl:

In MetaEditor, "Edit" menu, "Advanced" option, there are 'Comment' and 'Uncomment' options. They work for me, but only from that menu.

Can I use those tools from the keyboard?

Next to the 'Comment' option, there is an indication of key combination Ctrl+'. I am not sure what character is that. Is it a single quote? Is it some kind of accent? Neither works for me.

Next to the 'Uncomment' option, there is an indication of key combination Ctrl+;. That is clearly a semi-colon, but when I select commented code and press Ctrl+; the selected code is deleted!

Note that the two options work fine when selected from the menu.

But coding can be tedious and the more I can do without drilling down menus, the better.

Are those key combinations supposed to work? Do they work for you?

In my case it is "Ctrl + {"

I tested many key combinations until I found out that Ctrl+\ comments out the code and Ctrl+ç uncomments it.

Thank you again!

Extending the discussion to other types of keyboards/languages (I'm using an Azerty keyboard and metaeditor5), is there just a way to define shortcuts (e.g. comment/uncomment) in the metaeditor.ini file?

Nb: if not could Metatrader's tech team implement it asap please, it's such a basic thing (as is folding/unfolding code) or should we visit their office in Cyprus.

Thomas110 #: it's such a basic thing (as is folding/unfolding code) 

I only use the Editor for compiling/debugging. I use Notepad2 with code folding.

Others use Notepad++, Eclipse, scite-mql, Emacs, Visual Studio, or other IDEs.

William Roeder #:
I only use the Editor for compiling/debugging. I use Notepad2 with code folding.

Thanks for the feedback about your experience. Yes, after some tests I'll do the same; I'll use an external editor - visual studio code editor.

MT/MetaEditor being on the market for so many years, I still don't understand why the tech team has still not understood the needs of the users/coders

Have a good w-e

Reason: