INPUTS no longer work -- Strategy Tester on MT4

I've used the strategy tester before without a problem.  However, now it will not accept inputs for any testing.  I can use the strategy tester in visual mode by establishing default inputs in the EA, but that won't work for optimization.  I've looked for other settings but found nothing. 

Selecting "Expert Properties", I enter input parameters and save.  When I open it up again, nothing remains, only default settings from the EA.  I load my saved parameters again, but they will not remain.  I've tried it on EAs that worked previously in the tester.  I've tried closing and restarting MT4 but it won't accept inputs.

The Fundamentals of Testing in MetaTrader 5
The Fundamentals of Testing in MetaTrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
What are the differences between the three modes of testing in MetaTrader 5, and what should be particularly looked for? How does the testing of an EA, trading simultaneously on multiple instruments, take place? When and how are the indicator values calculated during testing, and how are the events handled? How to synchronize the bars from different instruments during testing in an "open prices only" mode? This article aims to provide answers to these and many other questions.

ronald828: I've used the strategy tester before without a problem.  However, now it will not accept inputs for any testing.  I can use the strategy tester in visual mode by establishing default inputs in the EA, but that won't work for optimization.  I've looked for other settings but found nothing. Selecting "Expert Properties", I enter input parameters and save.  When I open it up again, nothing remains, only default settings from the EA.  I load my saved parameters again, but they will not remain.  I've tried it on EAs that worked previously in the tester.  I've tried closing and restarting MT4 but it won't accept inputs.

What build of MT4 are you using?

The most recent official build is 1340. Anything greater that is a beta build and have unknown bugs.

Also, try deleting cache files that may have become corrupted ( File->Open Data Folder -> ".\tester\caches\*.*" ).

Fernando Carreiro:

What build of MT4 are you using?

The most recent official build is 1340. Anything greater that is a beta build and have unknown bugs.

Also, try deleting cache files that may have become corrupted ( File->Open Data Folder -> ".\tester\caches\*.*" ).

Build 1340 is what I have now.  I deleted the cache files but I cannot change the inputs from default values.  How about the configuration files?  Should I try deleting those or will that cause problems?

Also, I ran a test EA that has no indicators.  I ran it on an empty chart.  There are dots and arrows showing.  When I pass the cursor over the dots and arrows, it says "CI Arrows" -- but I have no indicator called "CI Arrows" and I have loaded nothing in the chart.  (I have CCI Arrows, but this is different and better)  So I have no idea where this indicator is coming from.  I would like to find it.  I wonder if this is somehow part of the problem preventing inputs?

I found out what it is.  It's called Forex Cycles and when I load it into the chart, it has a data window at the bottom and the dots and arrows on the chart.  Can't explain why the dots and arrows show up by themselves on an empty chart while running the test EA.  There is nothing in the indicators list

I realize I'm a little off topic, but I thought it might be preventing inputs when running another EA in the tester.

ronald828:

I found out what it is.  It's called Forex Cycles and when I load it into the chart, it has a data window at the bottom and the dots and arrows on the chart.  Can't explain why the dots and arrows show up by themselves on an empty chart while running the test EA.  There is nothing in the indicators list

I realize I'm a little off topic, but I thought it might be preventing inputs when running another EA in the tester.

it is always possible for an update to mt4 that could result in an indicator or ea to become incompatable. That is the same old story of mt4 updates: sometimes an update can make your eas and indicators obsolete and incompatable. If you have the code, you can re compile it, and edit the file so that it will be compatable again, but if you dont have the original codes, you are most probably, "up s#@$% creek". sad to say, but true today as it was way back when :D

Reason: