EURUSD since 1971?

Just wondering how and why our backtester inclues info on the euro dating back before the euro was created? I would like to know if it was done with the same basket of currencies valued against the USD, or if it's something else entirely.

Shark:
Just wondering how and why our backtester inclues info on the euro dating back before the euro was created? I would like to know if it was done with the same basket of currencies valued against the USD, or if it's something else entirely.
Yes, the euro historical data is calculated using the data from the EZ members' previous currency as there was exact formula for conversion.

Hello from 2023, the internet is time traveling!  This is very helpful thank you.  I am doing a decade by decade analysis of the EURUSD and I had the same question after learning the Euro was created in 1999.  Thank you Andriy!!!!  Can you share any sources for further research into how the completed "they" (who is they?) analysis of the calculation of the EZ members previous currency?

Lord remember me #: Hello from 2023, the internet is time traveling!  This is very helpful thank you.  I am doing a decade by decade analysis of the EURUSD and I had the same question after learning the Euro was created in 1999.  Thank you Andriy!!!!  Can you share any sources for further research into how the completed "they" (who is they?) analysis of the calculation of the EZ members previous currency?

"They" are the banks and other financial institutions! Before the "Euro", each country had its own currency and banks carried out exchanges just as they do now.

The main difference however, is that they did calculations and kept records on things like paper, microfiche, etc.

As the digital era came about, those banks converted that information into electronic form, allowing it to be accessed more easily and be analysed.

That is basically it!

Reason: