Download MetaTrader 5

Returning values from functions

To add comments, please log in or register
Ingvar Engelbrecht
Ingvar Engelbrecht 2014.09.22 11:58 

Returning a simple bool works except that if something went wrong an error messge would be nice to return too.

Returning a struct from a called function does not work if it contains objects (like string)  (Can not be copied)

I could pass a struct to the called function by reference containing string variables and update them in the called function

I could make the function as a class and inquire  some public variables in the class. (a bit more complex )

Maybe a way to simplify the class version would be to do all processing in the instamcing call?

Any other suggestions?

Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2014.09.22 12:41  
ingvar_e:

Returning a simple bool works except that if something went wrong an error messge would be nice to return too.

Returning a struct from a called function does not work if it contains objects (like string)  (Can not be copied)

I could pass a struct to the called function by reference containing string variables and update them in the called function

I could make the function as a class and inquire  some public variables in the class. (a bit more complex )

Maybe a way to simplify the class version would be to do all processing in the instamcing call?

Any other suggestions?

A suggestion for what exactly ? It's not clear what you are trying to do.
Ingvar Engelbrecht
Ingvar Engelbrecht 2014.09.22 18:42  
angevoyageur:
A suggestion for what exactly ? It's not cleat what you are trying to do.

How to return multiple values including string from the called function to the calling function.

My first try was returning a struct that contained a string variable.

that does not work. What works is to pass a struct by reference to the called function and let the function pass results back that way.

That works.  Will probaby standardize on that unless there is a more formal or elegant method.

Laszlo Tormasi
Laszlo Tormasi 2014.09.22 18:59  
ingvar_e:

How to return multiple values including string from the called function to the calling function.

that does not work. What works is to pass a struct by reference to the called function and let the function pass results back that way.

That works.  Will probaby standardize on that unless there is a more formal or elegant method.

You can use static char array instead of string. Not really elegant but this is the only way.
Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen 2014.09.22 19:32  
ingvar_e:

Either as a parameter by reference as you said, or as a pointer to a class (structure doesn't support pointer).
Ingvar Engelbrecht
Ingvar Engelbrecht 2014.09.22 23:29  

Thanks  angevoyageur.

I  have also tried another method.  The functions I use are stored in a library. The library seems a bit similar to a class and it is "persistent"

If I declare a string object globally in the library (not inside one of my library functions ) I can set it in one function and retrieve it in another.

I can store the results from a function in these "global" variables and then use simple library functions to retrive them later (like "Set"  and "Get"). The library acts a bit like a class.

This is a bit more complex metod but workable.

Libraries are really useful since this feature means that it is possible to keep data in the library between calls to various library functions.

I have a separate library for logging to disk that is started in the init of the EA. The File Handle is stored in a global variable in the logging library so that

functions in another library can log without knowing the file handle

To add comments, please log in or register