Issue with running multiple MT4 instances (advice on VPS Spec)

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of trying to get 20 MT4 clients running on my VPS. I can just about get 9 running (with the odd one freezing but then coming back to life) but fear if I add more it's going to get worse and wondered if anyone could assist with ways to either; reduce the amount of the clients freezing, or if I need a better spec'd VPS. These are all seperate brokers and using one live account

Some of the things I've tried so far on the clients:

- Turned off Enable News

- Removed all indicators

- Set Max bars in history and chart to 5000

- Cleared the files from Profiles > Default

In terms of EA i'm using a trade copier and also myfx books

Is there anything i've missed which could improve the stability of the clients I'm running?

Here's the spec of my VPS:

Win10 Server 2016

Intel Xeon E5-2640 v4 @2.4Ghz (4core)

8GB RAM

200GB SSD

200mbps port

An assistance greatly appreciated!

John P:

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of trying to get 20 MT4 clients running on my VPS

I was running 21 MT4 instances but it was expensive dedicated server (expensive for monthly cost).
I think - it is impossible to run 20 on VPS, and it is not related to RAM only. As I remember (it was many years ago) - it may be related to some kind of frequency (PnP OS, or Resources Controlled, or IRQ, ...). So, it should be computer anyway for 20 Metatrader instances.

Sergey Golubev:

I was running 21 MT4 instances but it was expensive dedicated server (expensive for monthly cost).
I think - it is impossible to run 20 on VPS, and it is not related to RAM only. As I remember (it was many years ago) - it may be related tosome kind of frequency (PnP OS, or Resources Controlled, or IRQ, ...). So, it should be computer anyway for 20 Metatrader instances.

Thanks for the insight, Sergey.

Can you remember what kind of specs you had on your dedicated server? Did you still notice any freezing or stuttering? or was the server able to prevent this.

Thanks

John

John P:

Thanks for the insight, Sergey.

Can you remember what kind of specs you had on your dedicated server? Did you still notice any freezing or stuttering? or was the server able to prevent this.

Thanks

John

I do not remember ... I remember - it was expensive dedicated server which I had within tsd forum to test/trade new EAs (it was many years ago, and it was one of the most expensive dedicated server from softlayer).
As to freezing so it is based on your EAs and how many charts you are going to open (how many internet connections are going to be created from one Metatrader instance, for example - 1 chart, or two charts + TickScalper EA with many charts attached, and so on).

There is one thread about the characteristics/specs (but I did not find it now sorry).

Sergey Golubev:

I do not remember ... I remember - it was expensive dedicated server which I had within tsd forum to test/trade new EAs (it was many years ago, and it was one of the most expensive dedicated server from softlayer).
As to freezing so it is based on your EAs and how many charts you are going to open (how many internet connections are going to be created from one Metatrader instance, for example - 1 chart, or two charts + TickScalper EA with many charts attached, and so on).

There is one thread about the characteristics/specs (but I did not find it now sorry).

Okay, good to know!

In terms of EA's it's basically two charts per client (1 chart for the copier and another for MyFXBooks)

No worries about the thread, hopefully if someone else has found it they can post here :)

Okay so for anyone who's interested I managed to get at least 17 running with a VPS of the following spec:

Win10 x64bit

6CPU

16GB RAM

400GB SSD

400mbps port

Same problem on Win 2019, 16 core, 32 gb RAM, SSD . After 12 MT5 opened in two Windows users, system crash. I can't open the 13

Luca De Andrea #:
Same problem on Win 2019, 16 core, 32 gb RAM, SSD . After 12 MT5 opened in two Windows users, system crash. I can't open the 13

I'm reading a lot of this in various threads... no apparent reason from a hardware perspective, but something is throttling how many terminals can be run. Any more, and bad things happen.

Reason: